Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question then becomes: how long are you prepared to remain at 19 teams? An odd number means an additional annual dividend without the extra game to sell.

I have to admit, 18 clubs already seems like a lot of clubs.
The SANFL ran odd teams for ages, obviously the AFL is a different scale but its not an unmanageable situation.

Obviously long term there are two options: A club folds or a 20th team comes in.

Those that would be nervous would be Gold Coast, St Kilda, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

However I think the AFL would more look to another expansion and by 2023 or 2025 that location may be more obvious. I'd tip either South Sydney, WA3 or New Zealand. Depending on the leagues financials in 2023 they might be more generous and give the NT a team.

The SANFL ran odd teams for ages, obviously the AFL is a different scale but its not an unmanageable situation.

Obviously long term there are two options: A club folds or a 20th team comes in.

Those that would be nervous would be Gold Coast, St Kilda, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

However I think the AFL would more look to another expansion and by 2023 or 2025 that location may be more obvious. I'd tip either South Sydney, WA3 or New Zealand. Depending on the leagues financials in 2023 they might be more generous and give the NT a team.

IF there was a 20th team it would be Canberra or WA3 surely.
Won't be another Sydney team for some time.

Only nervous teams, if at all, would be Saints and the Suns. Saints more so.

Can see the AFL being happy with another reason for a bye though.

19 teams would allow for 18 game season playing each other once. Not sure though with the added expense of another team and the loss of 2 home games that would be sustainable, not to mention less money in the TV deal.

I would find it stunningly ridiculous if a Syd 3 came in B4 a 3rd team in the 2nd biggest Footy market in the country.

Tas1 & WA3. :)

WA3, I reckon. Canberra won't get a team for as long as GWS is using it as a secondary market.

Tasmania will not add much direct financial benefits/ratings' growth to the AF- but there will be more broadcast $.

So they can't add any direct financial benefits/rating's growth (your words) but you somehow think this will lead to more broadcast money. Explain how this will happen if the AFL doesn't add a 20th team?

It can, however, provide an HUGE, valuable indirect boost to the AFL- by the strategic restoration of its former VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine of Tas. champions, & many great players. And more Tas. AFL infrastructu broadcast $.

How is that working out for Adelaide and Perth local competitions and country leagues? Getting an AFL team doesn't equal a return to former glories.

Ditto, last week's announcement that the Fed. LNP govt. is willing to fund (c. $100,000,000?), in Tas., AFL "major infrastructure" for the 19th team- another indirect ace that the Tas. bid possesses.

It was not an announcement, just a Tasmanian based minster suggesting they might fund a stadium. No promise, no committment and certainly no official announcement of the like that you are claiming

Last edited:
How is that working out for Adelaide and Perth local competitions and country league? Getting an AFL team doesn't equal a return to former glories.

Very different. The TSL is not equivalent to the WAFL or SANFL. The TSL is seen by most as a feeder league to the VFL. Getting an AFL team legitimises the TSL at a competition to be drafted from, rather than being a stepping stone or something to bypass altogether. The goal is for guys like Ben Brown to not have to move interstate to get drafted, after missing out 3 times in Tasmania.

Only nervous teams, if at all, would be Saints and the Suns. Saints more so.

Can see the AFL being happy with another reason for a bye though.
Saints should be nervous ?😂 when we’re winning and playing finals our crowds increase rapidly were far from the smallest supported vic club and it would be a terrible decision buy the afl to put a team in Canberra anytime soon as they would essentially be cutting in half gws supporter base !

Saints should be nervous ? when we’re winning and playing finals our crowds increase rapidly were far from the smallest supported vic club and it would be a terrible decision buy the afl to put a team in Canberra anytime soon as they would essentially be cutting in half gws supporter base !
So you can't read.

I said if at all.

Saints getting almost the same funding as the 2 new expanded markets clubs in a flooded heartland victorian market where theyb have been for some decades.

Lol your Canberra comment shows what you know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you can't read.

I said if at all.

Saints getting almost the same funding as the 2 new expanded markets clubs in a flooded heartland victorian market where theyb have been for some decades.

Lol your Canberra comment shows what you know.
A
We do get support in Canberra. Half is a stretch.
yeah that’s my point you get very good support in Canberra so it would be extremely foolish for the afl to put a team there until you have built up support to a sustainable level in western Sydney region which as you say takes generations

A

yeah that’s my point you get very good support in Canberra so it would be extremely foolish for the afl to put a team there until you have built up support to a sustainable level in western Sydney region which as you say takes generations

No no actually I say generational not many generations. If we are in the same situation in 50 years then we have failed.

I was always against including Canberra.
Though while my stance there has softened, I've always thought it hindered the growth In Western Sydney. My opinion there I'm sure many will disagree.

Saints should be nervous ?😂 when we’re winning and playing finals our crowds increase rapidly were far from the smallest supported vic club and it would be a terrible decision buy the afl to put a team in Canberra anytime soon as they would essentially be cutting in half gws supporter base !

Well that's what the AFL did to Brisbane with GCS.

Bullshit we do wonders for the AFL, we are one of the biggest clubs in the league when our juggernaut gets going as seen in 09 we can bring scary numbers for the AFL and even when we are down we play at the league owned stadium of the docklands so all the money is going in the AFLs pockets or ours. We are more beneficial for the league than any team that plays at a stadium not owned by the AFL

So you don’t get good support in Canberra??
The AFL could send the almost insolvent Saints to Tassie - theres an idea for you!

I wonder how long the AFL will prop up St Kilda to the tune of $20 million a year when Gill has gone a CEO?

St Kilda are still continuing on in its very long tradition of being the basket case of Victorian football 27 wooden spoons at last count!

Bulls**t we do wonders for the AFL, we are one of the biggest clubs in the league when our juggernaut gets going as seen in 09 we can bring scary numbers for the AFL and even when we are down we play at the league owned stadium of the docklands so all the money is going in the AFLs pockets or ours. We are more beneficial for the league than any team that plays at a stadium not owned by the AFL

In what context?

In 2009 St Kilda drew 34,787 to their 22 games which placed them 8/16 clubs.

In 2009 St Kilda had 31,909 ‘access’ members which placed them 10/16 clubs...

And announced an operating profit of $177,335 for the year ($1,136,587 including government funding)

And that was the most successful season (1966 notwithstanding) in the Saints history

The question then becomes: how long are you prepared to remain at 19 teams? An odd number means an additional annual dividend without the extra game to sell.

I have to admit, 18 clubs already seems like a lot of clubs.
19 Clubs means 11 extra games. 19 x 11 home games.
24 rounds with some weeks having eight games and some seven games. Those weeks with seven games (three team have a bye) allows for flexibility scheduling Thursday night games the week after which is what the 7 network wants. Will definitely increase the value of broadcast rights.

The AFL could send the almost insolvent Saints to Tassie - theres an idea for you!

I wonder how long the AFL will prop up St Kilda to the tune of $20 million a year when Gill has gone a CEO?

St Kilda are still continuing on in its very long tradition of being the basket case of Victorian football 27 wooden spoons at last count!
You’re a strait up troll mate 😂and considering Geelong have been extremely strong on field for last 10 years and have your own stadium your actually not In agreat position your self of field !

So they can't add any["any"-No, never said this] direct financial benefits/rating's growth (your words[Not my words]) but you somehow think this will led to more broadcast money. Explain how this will happen if the AFL doesn't add a 20th team?
How is that working out for Adelaide and Perth local competitions and country league? Getting an AFL team doesn't equal a return to former glories.[WA & SA have AFL teams- ESSENTIAL, also, for Tas. to BOOST GR AF, & Draft nos. & quality!]
It was not an announcement, just a Tasmanian based minster [Lol! From Fed. LNP Govt. SPORT Minister!] suggesting they might fund a stadium. No promise, no committment and certainly no official announcement of the like that you are claiming[Not my words- stop misrepresenting me]
1. Do you support Tasmania, when the AFL next expands, being the 19th team? If so, when is this likely to happen?

2. (a) Do you accept that the VFL/AFL have carpetbagged Tas. AF?
And their neglect of Tas. GR has contributed to the decline of Tas. GR AF, & their elite AF?

(b) Speaking generally (ie Australia-wide), do you accept that having an AFL team in a Sate helps promote GR AF comp. player nos. in that State; & helps the development & production of elite AFL players from that State?

(c) Conversely, do you accept that not having an AFL team in a State, hinders and/or reduces GR AF comp. player nos. in that state; & hinders and/or reduces development & production of elite AFL players from that State?

3. Do you accept that, because Tas. does not have its own AFL team, this is having a deleterious effect on Tas. GR AF; & limiting the no. & quality of Tas. drafted players?

4. With the addition of GC & GWS, which created an extra game pw, what do you estimate this 9th game is worth (annually), in the current Broadcast rights?
What are the details of your estimate?

5. (a) Do you accept that if the AFL expands to a 19th Tas. team only, this is likely to create an extra 11 games per season (ie going from the current 198 to 209 H & A games per season)?
And, if so, for the next Broadcasts Rights $, what are these extra 11 games per season likely to add to the annual value of the Rights?
(Assume, the Ratings, media companies & advertiser benefits are similar & on par with the previous Rights' agreement, when it was entered into to)

(b) What indirect (ie outside of Rights' $) financial benefits are likely to be created, if a 19th Tas. team is added?

6. If Tas. enters the AFL c. 2025, as the 19th team, do you think the Fed. LNP. govt. is likely to offer very large funding (c. $100,000,000- similar to Fed. funds for the new Townsville stadium being built) for major stadia infrastructure for their AFL team?

7.(a) Do you accept there is a wide groundswell of support for a Tas. 19th AFL team in the near future, from Tasmanians?
And from AF supporters (not just Tasmanians) residing outside of Tasmania?

(b) Both former AFL CEO A. Demetriou (first time in 2008) & G. McLachlan have both said, several times, (paraphrasing) "that when the AFL expands next, Tasmania will probably be the next team added" (no timeline offered).
This indicates that the AFL believes Tasmania has a VERY strong case, & is VERY deserving, to be the 19th expansion team team. Do you disagree- if so, on what basis?

Last edited:
Very different. The TSL is not equivalent to the WAFL or SANFL. The TSL is seen by most as a feeder league to the VFL. Getting an AFL team legitimises the TSL at a competition to be drafted from, rather than being a stepping stone or something to bypass altogether. The goal is for guys like Ben Brown to not have to move interstate to get drafted, after missing out 3 times in Tasmania.

An AFL team won't stop the TSL being a feeder league to the VFL, WAFL or SANFL. You still have the problems that cause players to move away, such as work, higher education and the like. An AFL team won't solve that. Plus away from the TSL, a team doesn't help restore Tasmanian football to what it once was. That was my point.

So they can't add any ["any"-No, never said this]direct financial benefits/rating's growth (your words[Not my words]) but you somehow think this will led to more broadcast money. Explain how this will happen if the AFL doesn't add a 20th team?

"Tasmania will not add much direct financial benefits/ratings' growth to the AF- but there will be more broadcast $.

These are your words. Explain them. Don't hide behind the changing of one word. You like to throw large posts around, but never defend them. Go on have a real go at answering my question.

[WA & SA have AFL teams- ESSENTIAL, also, for Tas. to BOOST GR AF, & Draft nos. & quality!]

Just how does an AFL team boost grass roots numbers in heartland AFL states, their draft number and the quality in those states? What proof to you have that this has happened in WA and SA? This is something you've never answered once when challenged or supported with fact.

It was not an announcement, just a Tasmanian based minster [Lol! From Fed. LNP Govt. SPORT Minister!] suggesting they might fund a stadium. No promise, no committment and certainly no official announcement of the like that you are claiming[Not my words- stop misrepresenting me]

I'm not misrepresenting you, you are doing that yourself. You claim that there was an official announcement from the federal government. Please show me the link and proof to an offical federal government announcement that you are claiming or otherwise it was the opinion of one person which YOU in turn are happy to misrepresent as fact once again to suit your needs.

So until you answer my questions. I will not answer your questions other than to say Tasmania deserve a team if and when they can prove they financially support one independent of government (give or take the normal grants and support for stadium upgrades).

Do better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back