Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember WA has a history of $uoporting Aussie Rules & a justification for the new stadium /taxpayer dollars is tourism.
Both Tas & WA keep Supercar racing in their States with that approach.
AFL footy gets Fed taxpayer money, its not a problem per se.

The stadium happened because Barnett had a huge boner for the idea of being remembered as a legacy builder. Same reason Elizabeth Quay happened.

I'll also reminder you that the federal government contributed nothing to Optus Stadium.

The business case was meant to be completed several days ago,i would expect its getting very close,it will be interesting to see if its as good as they have made out.I have heard its a reasonable case but not great, this could be our last chance for a long time,so lets hope these reports are incorrect.

The afl taskforce has today handed the business case to the government,apparently it is an impressive case,the public may need to wait a few weeks before details are released.

The afl taskforce has today handed the business case to the government,apparently it is an impressive case,the public may need to wait a few weeks before details are released.

Fingers crossed!

The stadium happened because Barnett had a huge boner for the idea of being remembered as a legacy builder. Same reason Elizabeth Quay happened.

I'll also reminder you that the federal government contributed nothing to Optus Stadium.
The Langoulant Report was commissioned in 2003 by Geoff Gallop, and was handed down in 2007, when Alan Carpenter was premier. It recommended either Kitchener Park or next to the East Perth Power Station, and Carpenter went for Kitchener Park. Barnett changed it to Burswood. It would have been 60,000 seats wherever it was, but Kitchener Park was a stinker of a location. A 60,000 seat stadium in a residential area and right next to a hospital? Yeah, OK.

Anyway, back to Tassie. Good luck, Tassie, you'll need it.

1. The Advocate A. Fair 20.12

Task Force Bid given to Tas. govt. today. No details publicly provided yet.

2. The Mercury 17.10.19

The Task Force has recruited Townsville NRL legend Jonathan Thurston as a "secret weapon" for their Bid.

Will he outline the many & varied community benefits/uplift in community morale when a large regional area has its esteem boosted when playing in the "big league"?

The AFL likes to promote itself as being strongly concerned re its social impacts in the community, & general "wellness" issues.
It also knows that tribalism/emotional sense of "belonging to the group" is innate. Historically, the genesis of the strength of AF Club support; & success of the AFL- which has been denied to Tasmanians.

www.themercury.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fafl-taskforce-reveals-its-secret-weapon-in-push-for-a-tasmanian-afl-team%2Fnews-story%2Fb12fa0b7b9ec341622e45eed

(behind a paywall- can anyone open this?)

Last edited:
1. The Advocate A. Fair 20.12

Task Force Bid given to Tas. govt. today. No details publicly provided yet.

2. The Mercury 17.10.19

The Task Force has recruited Townsville NRL legend Jonathan Thurston as a "secret weapon" for their Bid.

Will he outline the many & varied community benefits/uplift in community morale when a large regional area has its esteem boosted when playing in the "big league"?

The AFL likes to promote itself as being strongly concerned re its social impacts in the community, & general "wellness" issues.
It also knows that tribalism/emotional sense of "belonging to the group" is innate. Historically, the genesis of the strength of AF Club support; & success of the AFL- which has been denied to Tasmanians.

www.themercury.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fafl-taskforce-reveals-its-secret-weapon-in-push-for-a-tasmanian-afl-team%2Fnews-story%2Fb12fa0b7b9ec341622e45eed

(behind a paywall- can anyone open this?)

THE Taskforce behind a Tasmanian AFL bid hopes rugby league legend Johnathan Thurston will be their secret weapon in the quest for the state’s own team.
The Mercury can reveal the North Queensland Cowboys 2015 NRL premiership hero has provided informal advice through his personal connection to Taskforce chairman Brett Godfrey.

The Taskforce has meanwhile formally engaged with officials at Thurston’s beloved former club, which is based in Townsville, a city of less than 200,000 people.

Mr Godfrey has met with the Cowboys’ chairman and plans to meet with the club’s chief executive as early as next week.

Mr Godfrey said Thurston’s insight into what made the Cowboys successful could prove to be invaluable to the case for a long-awaited Tasmanian AFL team.

“I think he’s going to add a huge amount of weight to our case, because he is an absolute legend in this part of the world. Everyone knows and loves him, he’s an immortal,’’ he said.

Mr Godfrey said demonstrating how a Tasmanian team would attract and retain players would be key to strengthening the state’s argument.

“Johnathan made it clear to me that he believes that environment was conducive to being the successful club they were when they won a grand final,” he said.

“He is of a view that not all kids are suited to a city environment to bring out the best performance in them.

“Johnathan was really clear that he played his best football when he left Sydney to play up there.”

Mr Godfrey, who serves on a tourism board in Queensland with Thurston, said the Cowboys’ success showed players could flourish in a more relaxed environment away from major cities.

“This is all to disprove that myth that we won’t be able to attract people because we’re not Chapel St [Melbourne],” he said.

“We’re trying to put something together that is not Melbourne-centric, that is saying some kids, particularly country kids, may feel more comfortable in a different environment than a city.”

Last week, the case for a Tasmanian AFL team reached a significant milestone when a pledge campaign at the unitedwestand.com.au website eclipsed its target of 50,000 supporters.

That campaign was an initiative of the State Government’s taskforce, chaired by Mr Godfrey, which is building a business case to present to the AFL by the end of this year.

The Age P. Ryan 22.12

"Geelong are gathering evidence (to submit to the AFL- my words) to back up their argument to play more than nine home games at GMHBA...Cats CEO Brian Cook (wants Geelong- my words) to examine the issue from an economic and social perspective...".
"...is doing a lot of analytics in relation to the economics of it all. But, on top of that, there's the social side of it".

What does B. Cook mean by "there's the social side of it"?

Can Tasmania advance its argument that, due to not having its own AFL team, AF development is being seriously disadvantaged in Tasmania when one examines " the social side of it"?

It is also interesting that Geelong (population c.200,000) wants to expand Kardinia Park to 40,000 (irrespective whether games are will be 10 or 11 pa). We can assume that GFC will, over the long term, be far more profitable if KP expands from the current 34,000 to 40,000.

Does KP's capacity have any relevance to the ultimate capacity at York Park & Bellerive?
As games are half that of KP, normally the Return On Investment would be expected to be twice as long, if having similar capacities to KP. Tasmania, however,
is expecting many thousands of mainland, high yielding$ tourists to visit (to watch AFL games)- so the ROI period would be FAR shorter, cf. KP.

The Age P. Ryan 22.12

"Geelong are gathering evidence (to submit to the AFL- my words) to back up their argument to play more than nine home games at GMHBA...Cats CEO Brian Cook (wants Geelong- my words) to examine the issue from an economic and social perspective...".
"...is doing a lot of analytics in relation to the economics of it all. But, on top of that, there's the social side of it".

Can Tasmania advance its argument that, due to not having its own AFL team, AF development is being seriously disadvantaged in Tasmania when one examines " the social side of it"?

It is also interesting that Geelong (population c.200,000) wants to expand Kardinia Park to 40,000 (irrespective whether games are will be 10 or 11 pa). We can assume that GFC will, over the long term, be far more profitable if KP expands from the current 34,000 to 40,000.

Does KP's capacity have any relevance to the ultimate capacity at York Park & Bellerive?
As games are half that of KP, normally the Return On Investment would be expected to be twice as long, if having similar capacities to KP. Tasmania, however,
is expecting many thousands of mainland, high yielding$ tourists to visit (to watch AFL games)- so the ROI period would be FAR shorter, cf. KP.

I guess Geelong could posit any argument they like.

Considering that within 80km of Geelong more games of AFL footy are played each year than in the rest of the country put together, they can hardly say the community has a lack of opportunity to see games.

Its the smallest city with its own AFL club. Its the 2nd smallest city with its own professional footy club. The smallest being Townsville which is over 1300km from the nearest other team.

Anyway what they want to do is up to them.

The Age P. Ryan 22.12

That'd be NO.
Is Steve Bracks still in charge of the Geelong version of the MCGTrust ?
Colin Carter still President at Geelong ?

1. Daily Telegraph/The Mercury B. Stubbs 3.12
Stubbs quotes T. Lane's direct comments

"The AFL is being wedged not just in Tasmania, but also in Victoria (my emphasis) in particular there are people taking an interest. They see the fact in a moral sense it is a no brainer, and in a football sense in many ways it is a no brainer but for the AFL it is uncomfortable".

(then go to SportsIndusry tweet 5.12.19 "Hawthorn Shirtfront For Lane's Cash Claims")

Award-winning journalist & broadcaster T. Lane has been writing about AF since the 80's, & is considered one of AF's best & most respected journalists.

Which "people" in Victoria have sufficient clout & influence over the AFL, to "wedge" it over the issue of introducing a 19th team in Tasmania?

I assume the above reference to "...the fact in a moral sense it is a no brainer..." is that the VFL/AFL have carpetbagged Tasmania's best players- thus greatly disadvantaging the prestige & popularity of the TSL/elite pathways, & GR AF generally, in Tasmania.
The Tas. Bid team, in its public pronouncements, has, wisely, given most emphasis on how a Tasmanian 19th team "can add to the AFL" (probably by restoring the VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine of champions & stars). There has been far less Tas. Bid public commentary on the depredations inflicted on Tasmanian AF by the AFL.

2. The Mercury 18.12

"Basketball would likely become Tasmania's number one sport and create pressure on the AFL, if the state re-enters the NBL, David Bartlett says".

(behind a paywall- can anyone open?)

D. Bartlett is a former Premier of Tasmania, & former CEO of the Hobart Chargers Basketball team.

3. The Mercury Digital Heading (re the Tas. Bid documents for a 19th team, provided to the Tas. Govt.).
"Tassie's AFL Business Case Impressive: State Government"

(then go to 19.12 Tweet ""Tassie's Business Case Impressive: State Government")

Tas. Bid Team member Errol Stewart had implied, c.11.10.19, that the Bid had a good, sustainable financial basis.
"I'm sure there's good corporate support..." & "...a lot of high net worth individuals..." are backing the Bid.

It can thus be assumed the Bid is not seeking undue AFL financial support (cf. other heartland states) for their 19th team.

Last edited:
1. Daily Telegraph/The Mercury B. Stubbs 3.12
Stubbs quotes T. Lane's direct comments

"The AFL is being wedged not just in Tasmania, but also in Victoria (my emphasis) in particular there are people taking an interest. They see the fact in a moral sense it is a no brainer, and in a football sense in many ways it is a no brainer but for the AFL it is uncomfortable".

(then go to SportsIndusry tweet 5.12.19 "Hawthorn Shirtfront For Lane's Cash Claims")

Award-winning journalist & broadcaster T. Lane has been writing about AF since the 80's, & is considered one of AF's best & most respected journalists.

Which "people" in Victoria have sufficient clout & influence over the AFL, to "wedge" it over its decision to introduce a 19th team?

I assume the above reference to a "moral sense it is a no brainer" is that the VFL/AFL have carpetbagged Tasmania's best players- thus greatly disadvantaging the prestige & popularity of the TSL/elite pathways, & GR AF generally, in Tasmania.
The Tas. Bid team, in its public pronouncements, has, wisely, given most emphasis on how a Tasmanian 19th team "can add to the AFL" (probably by restoring the VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine of champions & stars). There has been far less Tas. Bid public commentary on the depredations inflicted on Tasmanian AF by the AFL.

2. The Mercury 18.12

"Basketball would likely become Tasmania's number one sport and create pressure on the AFL, if the state re-enters the NBL, David Bartlett says".

D. Bartlett is a former Prmier of Tasmania, & former CEO of the Hobart Chargers Basketball team.

3. The Mercury Digital Heading (re the Tas. Bid for a 19th team, providing the Tas. Govt. with the Bid documents).

SportsIndustry Tweet

(then go to 19.12 Tweet ""Tassie's Business Case Impressive: State Government"

"Tassie's AFL Business case Impressive: State Government"

https://www.themercury.com.au/subsc.../news-story/0a5649c0598afee01d755045367770aa&

D Bartlett also has indicated he believes it will be ten years if not longer until we get an afl team,i guess the afl wont expand just to give tassie a team,time will tell i guess.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D Bartlett also has indicated he believes it will be ten years if not longer until we get an afl team,i guess the afl wont expand just to give tassie a team,time will tell i guess.

David Bartlett would know SFA about the Tas bid & its likely progress towards an AFL team.

He is completely interested in the NBL deal & wants to see BBall as the states number one sport.

So takes his comments as you like.

Going off several people that have actually seen the business case,the case is only an allright case,but not spetacular.To be a chance of getting a team it needs to be a lot better than the last case we presented to the afl,so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Going off several people that have actually seen the business case,the case is only an allright case,but not spetacular.To be a chance of getting a team it needs to be a lot better than the last case we presented to the afl,so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Whatever business case they come up with is going to be filled with assumptions about crowds, sponsorships, corporate sales, etc etc.

Consequently I don't think it's as critical as you might think.

So what was in the last case? As if it mattered considering Dumitrioos attitude.

Also what is so 'not spectacular' about this one?

So what was in the last case? As if it mattered considering Dumitrioos attitude.

Also what is so 'not spectacular' about this one?
I dont know,this is just what certain people involved in government that have seen it have said,we will soon see if the government wasted their money on this group or not in the coming 6 months.

The Tasmanian Bid Team submitted its Bid to the Tasmanian govt. on 18.12.19.
It hasn't taken long for some of its contents to be leaked. The Bid claims these are likely to be the consequences for the AFL Commission, if its Bid is rejected.

******************************************************************************************************************************
DELETED

EDIT:

This was my attempt at humor on New Years Day

Last edited:
The Tasmanian Bid Team submitted its Bid to the Tasmanian govt. on 18.12.19.
It hasn't taken long for some of its contents to be leaked. The Bid claims these are likely to be the consequences for the AFL Commission, if its Bid is rejected.

******************************************************************************************************************************
DELETED

What is this leaked information?

Di
Whatever business case they come up with is going to be filled with assumptions about crowds, sponsorships, corporate sales, etc etc.

Consequently I don't think it's as critical as you might think.
100% agree until they give us chance it’s all guess work how it will turn out same as it was with the suns and gws !

If the AFL thinks Tasmania is a stretch, there's no way NT gets a team in the next 25 years.
It'd be another QLD/NSW team or, let's be honest, a New Zealand team because of $$$$$$$
Once Tasmania gets a Side, then Newcastle or Canberra is next in line.

Tassies issue is whether to play most games in Hobart or Launceston.

Newcastle already has a rectangular ground for rugby and Soccer teams. Them having an oval stadium will be good for AFL and BBL games.

Canberra Already has Manuka oval and that ground should eventually have a capacity of 25,000 seats

Like what?
Adelaide is better than Hobart.

More people live in Adelaide.

Adelaide oval is a Better Sporting venue than what Tasmania has to offer.

South Australia is called the festival state for a reason, as there are many events happening through out the year.

You can get into poo fights with Crows and Port fans.

Alcohol is cheaper.

you can stuff your enemies in Barrels lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back