Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once Tasmania gets a Side, then Newcastle or Canberra is next in line.

Tassies issue is whether to play most games in Hobart or Launceston.

Newcastle already has a rectangular ground for rugby and Soccer teams. Them having an oval stadium will be good for AFL and BBL games.

Canberra Already has Manuka oval and that ground should eventually have a capacity of 25,000 seats
It will be pretty much a 50/50 split of games between the two cities.

Canberra is a long, long way off. I think WA3 is more likely, and that's a long way off.
As much as I want a 3rd team in WA, I dont mind if Canberra gets a side. 400,000 people live in Canberra. You can also lure some people from NSW to support the club too.

It will be pretty much a 50/50 split of games between the two cities.
and there lies the Problem. Theres 500,000 people that live in Tassie. Half live in Launceston the other half lives in Hobart.

If Hobart had a population of 350-400,000 people, then they could get 20,000 people a game.

I guess Geelong could posit any argument they like.

Considering that within 80km of Geelong more games of AFL footy are played each year than in the rest of the country put together, they can hardly say the community has a lack of opportunity to see games.

Its the smallest city with its own AFL club. Its the 2nd smallest city with its own professional footy club. The smallest being Townsville which is over 1300km from the nearest other team.

Anyway what they want to do is up to them.
you can take the train from the Melbourne CBD to Geelong....

No different from me Taking a train from Adelaide CBD to Noarlunga Oval to watch South Adelaide play in the SANFL

As much as I want a 3rd team in WA, I dont mind if Canberra gets a side. 400,000 people live in Canberra. You can also lure some people from NSW to support the club too.

and there lies the Problem. Theres 500,000 people that live in Tassie. Half live in Launceston the other half lives in Hobart.

If Hobart had a population of 350-400,000 people, then they could get 20,000 people a game.
Half lives in the northern half,i believe having a game once a month in each of those cities is the best way to get good crowds,half the states population wont want to travel twice a month to one of those cities.Hopefully by doing that we can get crowds of 15 to 20 thousand a game,which are the sort of numbers that should be the minimum required.

Pros:
- Long overdue team in Tassie
- Bye for odd number of teams, more Thursday games perhaps?
- Logo and uniform has unlimited amounts of potential

Cons:
- Shifty crowd numbers
- Won't be able to lure in big names
- Seeming how even the Gold Coast can't keep young players there, what makes Tasmania think they can?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pros:
- Long overdue team in Tassie
- Bye for odd number of teams, more Thursday games perhaps?
- Logo and uniform has unlimited amounts of potential

Cons:
- Shifty crowd numbers
- Won't be able to lure in big names
- Seeming how even the Gold Coast can't keep young players there, what makes Tasmania think they can?
Mate The Gold Coast is a terrible example of how to set up a football club the reason they couldn’t retain players is they have been a basket case on and off field its nothing to do with the place itself if we’re competitive on field we will retain players as for our crowds were getting similar numbers to gws and the suns now just to watch fifo teams with no connection to Tasmania our crowds would double what there getting right from the start we would probably double there members as well!

Mate The Gold Coast is a terrible example of how to set up a football club the reason they couldn’t retain players is they have been a basket case on and off field its nothing to do with the place itself if we’re competitive on field we will retain players as for our crowds were getting similar numbers to gws and the suns now just to watch fifo teams with no connection to Tasmania our crowds would double what there getting right from the start we would probably double there members as well!

The Suns did average 18k at Metricon in their first year. In their 4th year they averaged 16k. I don't doubt that Tassie could (at least initially) fill both grounds for every game, giving them a slightly higher average than the Suns. Double? Well probably not given they don't have the stadium capacity.

The question is though - let's say they had quite a few losing seasons in a row.....you think the crowds would stick around? You claim to be a better option than the Gold Coast, but let's be honest here - the Suns would be drawing 20k+ a week if they were a finals team. They're getting s**t crowds now because they're a really, really s**t team.
You think the people of Tassie are going to sellout grounds to watch a really, really s**t team?

The Suns did average 18k at Metricon in their first year. In their 4th year they averaged 16k. I don't doubt that Tassie could (at least initially) fill both grounds for every game, giving them a slightly higher average than the Suns. Double? Well probably not given they don't have the stadium capacity.

The question is though - let's say they had quite a few losing seasons in a row.....you think the crowds would stick around? You claim to be a better option than the Gold Coast, but let's be honest here - the Suns would be drawing 20k+ a week if they were a finals team. They're getting s**t crowds now because they're a really, really s**t team.
You think the people of Tassie are going to sellout grounds to watch a really, really s**t team?
The plan is to expand both grounds to 30,000 k capacity so I think we would comfortably double gws crowds do any clubs get sell out crowds when there travelling poor on field ? We would be no different to most clubs no doubt when you have down periods your crowds would drop of a bit but I think you underestimate how much people in Tassie just want to watch footy games on a regular basis unlike gws were it should be worrisome for the afl that a top 4 premiership contender can still only average home crowds of 12,000 what are the bad periods going to be like for them ?? a lot worse then they would be for a Tasmanian team

Where does the Tasmanian government get the money to pay to upgrade two stadiums to 30,000?

Why does Launceston need a stadium that can seat 30% of the population?
It wouldn’t be a massive cost to upgrade to 30 k there both 20 k stadiums at the moment and considering our government are about to spend 60 million upgrading our entertainment centre to get a nbl license I wouldn’t think it would be a problem for a local afl team the population of Launceston has nothing to do with it crowds will be attending games from around the whole state not just Launceston how big is Geelongs population and how much have they spent on that stadium!

The plan is to expand both grounds to 30,000 k capacity so I think we would comfortably double gws crowds do any clubs get sell out crowds when there travelling poor on field ? We would be no different to most clubs no doubt when you have down periods your crowds would drop of a bit but I think you underestimate how much people in Tassie just want to watch footy games on a regular basis unlike gws were it should be worrisome for the afl that a top 4 premiership contender can still only average home crowds of 12,000 what are the bad periods going to be like for them ?? a lot worse then they would be for a Tasmanian team

I don't under or overestimate it, i'm simply asking the question. You've slagged off the Suns crowds (and rightfully so), but really, in the same circumstances would Tassie be much better? Going to watch your club when you just know they're going to get fustigated is a horrible feeling. Especially when that's the case most weeks.

Not sure it's the most sensible comparison with GWS TBH.

I don't under or overestimate it, i'm simply asking the question. You've slagged off the Suns crowds (and rightfully so), but really, in the same circumstances would Tassie be much better? Going to watch your club when you just know they're going to get fustigated is a horrible feeling. Especially when that's the case most weeks.

Not sure it's the most sensible comparison with GWS TBH.
I just explained I believe we could double there crowds from day one my opinion even in down times with out slagging gws or the suns Tasmania is a 100% afl state like i said we get crowds comparable to both of them now watching fifo teams a lot of people down here go to those games just for a chance to watch afl and why can’t I compare to gws they have a population of over two million people to draw from and there support so far even as a finals team has with out being disrespectful been disgracefully poor I ask you the question when they eventually fall down the ladder bottom how bad will there crowds be then ?

I just explained I believe we could double there crowds from day one my opinion even in down times with out slagging gws or the suns Tasmania is a 100% afl state like i said we get crowds comparable to both of them now watching fifo teams a lot of people down here go to those games just for a chance to watch afl and why can’t I compare to gws they have a population of over two million people to draw from and there support so far even as a finals team has with out being disrespectful been disgracefully poor I ask you the question when they eventually fall down the ladder bottom how bad will there crowds be then ?

Because GWS is all about converting people to the game over a long period. Obviously Tassie wouldn't be about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back