Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course Richmond is the form team atm. He uses reverse psychology like it has any bearing on the outcome. He's not even kidding himself, he knows who the favourites are and so do the bookies and all of the football world. He's scared though, and he ought to be. He's also allowing himself an '' I told you so ''

You will beat them in the Grand Final. But regardless what I think, Richmond are the form team and the flag favourites. Fact.

You're posting like it's a given, it's not. There are two other formidable teams still in it and for your given to come to pass there are two teams that need to be defeated.

If you're suggesting that My Cotchin Rules is trying to use reverse psychology you maybe right, maybe not. In any case it's irrelevant. It all comes down to 4 playing groups and their coaches and match committees.

I always feel sorry for people who have to live in the past in order to experience happiness. ;)
Dunno about that, I'm always happy to watch the 1980GF. ;)
Pressure's on no doubt, surely the tigs are the form team of the minute. Sure the Pies fans like to fly under the radar, don't think the coaches and playing group would give a flying though.

If anything given the form of the teams it's Richmond's cup to lose.

Pressure footy back in vogue. Every game in the post season so far has been won by the teams who bring the contested footy.

Geelong and GWS brought it against teams that are not necessarily familiar with it.

This week they come up against the pressure teams of the minute.

The giants are going to need to out Collingwood Collingwood.

Cats will need to out Richmond Richmond.

Easier said than done, not impossible. The ace in the giants deck is they clearly have the most talented list of the last 4, the achilles heel for the Pies is they have the least talented.

Too hard to call either game...................................... bring it on. Massive prelim week.
i agree,this very much the reality,though id argue richmond along with collingwood the 2 least talented...GWS by far the most with all those top 10 picks,elite users of the ball,if coniglio and ward were fit theyd be favourites by the length of the u know what,luckily they aint playing..it may give the remaining 3 a chance

Loving the fact that its going to be raining on friday night and thats when the Tigers play their best football with the opposition having to try to play their keeping off game with a wet ball in slippery conditions. Richmond's Kaos ball movement and pressure in the foward line will come out on top

Tigers 29 points

Now lets hope the pies can handle the plastic's so we have a 1980 repeat of Richmond 80 victory

While I tend to agree that Richmond will win, I am not sure if the wet conditions will give the Tigers as big an advantage as you think. Cats are also a pretty damn good wet weather team. I mean, they play in Geelong; a night game at Skilled is almost guaranteed to be rainy and windy.

Richmond will most likely win, but I don’t think it will be because of the weather.

While I tend to agree that Richmond will win, I am not sure if the wet conditions will give the Tigers as big an advantage as you think. Cats are also a pretty damn good wet weather team. I mean, they play in Geelong; a night game at Skilled is almost guaranteed to be rainy and windy.

Richmond will most likely win, but I don’t think it will be because of the weather.
Result definitely won’t be due to the weather and Richmond aren’t better in the wet than the dry, the difference is Richmond play as good in the wet as they do in the dry, don’t think that’s the case with other teams.

You just have to look at Richmonds game against west coast in round 22
Eagles jumped richmond in the first quarter then the rain came and the tigers swarmed them to close the gap and win the game

Tigers are better in the wet - no doubt

Eagles jumped richmond in the first quarter then the rain came and the tigers swarmed them to close the gap and win the game

Ehhh not that much better I don't think. In R22 they blitzed in the first against us and then we ground our way back across the whole day, including the dry 2nd quarter. In fact, our best quarter scoreboard-wise was the 2nd quarter. No doubt we are a bit better in the wet, and the gameplay that brings us down is a lot more difficult to execute, but I don't think the difference is all that great. Our last 2 games have been totally dry and we've won similarly to the month before that which was all wet.

Tigers are better in the wet against West Coast for sure. But look at the last game of the season against Carlton. Geelong didn’t give two shits it was raining; Danger acted like it was any other dry day.

Anyway it doesn’t matter, we are arguing pointless stuff. I think Richmond will win, I just think the conditions will have little to do with it and the wetness helps Geelong a little, particularly with Hawkins out. But ultimately it doesn’t matter, agree to disagree!

Things seem to be falling very nicely for Collingwood. They will play Giants who will likely be missing 3 of their top 5 players, by far the easier of the PF matches compared to Geelong/Richmond. Then De Goey will come back in for the GF with the legs of a cow.

They are a real shot.

Things seem to be falling very nicely for Collingwood. They will play Giants who will likely be missing 3 of their top 5 players, by far the easier of the PF matches compared to Geelong/Richmond. Then De Goey will come back in for the GF with the legs of a cow.

They are a real shot.
We lost to WCE without Gaff, Nic Nat and Sheppard last year.
I personally consider GWS a more dangerous opponent than Geelong.

Tigers are better in the wet against West Coast for sure. But look at the last game of the season against Carlton. Geelong didn’t give two s**ts it was raining; Danger acted like it was any other dry day.

LOL. I wouldn't be hanging your hat on that game if I were you. Carlton finished 3rd last FFS. What did they have to play for when they played you? Their season was well and truly over and they were looking forward to Mad Monday before the ball was even bounced.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost to WCE without Gaff, Nic Nat and Sheppard last year.
I personally consider GWS a more dangerous opponent than Geelong.
Missed the top 4. Travelling consecutive weeks. Missing (likely) 3 of their best 5. Playing at the MCG against a lower finishing side.

I'd comfortably swap opponents.

Tipping Collingwood. Everything's falling into place for them, as it did for Richmond in 2017. Got a similar feeling.

as a richmond supporter all i'll say is..at this stage of proceedings whatever happened 8,10,12 or 15 weeks ago matters none.
in rd 5 .2017 adelaide pumped us by 7 goals..who won the flag ?...st.kilda beat us by 90 pts in rd 15 2017...who won the flag ?
in 2018 we beat collingwood twice in H & A...smashed us in the prelim...
Geelong smashed us after qtr time 12 weeks ago...it matters nothing fellas....GO TIGERS !!!
We'll crush them like bugs in the last 35 mins...i can feel it...bring it on CATS

Back