Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people consider Eskimo offensive because it is popularly perceived to mean "eaters of raw meat" in Algonquian languages common to people along the Atlantic coast.

Also the fact that its a grouping term for different groups of Inuit and Yupik people. Canada has replaced Eskimo with Inuit, which becomes highly offensive if you go into Alaska where not all people who are Eskimo's are Inuit.

Thanks for that. Sometimes you cannot really win can you?

I can remember the days when polio myelitis and not COVID-19 was the disease of the day and Alaska Ice Cream made Eskimo Pies. Chocolate coated ice cream they were great.

Just read that the Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 actually caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent. Hopefully those who are trying to find a vaccine this time will have a bit more success!!!!!

Just read that the Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 actually caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent. Hopefully those who are trying to find a vaccine this time will have a bit more success!!!!!

its a false hope IMO

If that is the case we are in deep sh*te as we have no way of knowing how many of these people are out there. I guess it highlights the urgent need for a vaccine. The asymptomatic nature of COVID-19 is like herd immunity it can only be really be proven by time.
Looks like its not. Not biologically plausible according to Professor of Public Health at Otago University Michael Baker who was on 7.30 and The World Tonight and said that he thinks its a quarantine breach.

Baker is a leading epidemiologist I read a lot of his comments early on in March and April as he was one on the main advisors/architects to the NZ government when the pandemic first hit there. Heard him interviewed on BBC Radio in late April explaining what NZ had done and how it was so different to the UK.

He says in the interview, video embedded in the link, transcript will be at the link in the morning, that the most likely source is one of the 30 managed quarantine facilities holding up to 6,000 people.

Leigh Sales asks what is the most likely cause of outbreak in NZ? he says the 30 managed isolation quarantine facilities holding 6,000 people, mainly New Zealand citizens who have returned from overseas. At any one time a number are infected and infectious.

Said they are the most likely source and that's the experience in Victoria, a breach in bio security facilities.

Leigh Sales asks so is it likely to be a weakness of protocol or is it possible people have been cleared to leave and maybe are still contagious?? What could it be?

It will almost certainly be a problem with the procedures at one of these facilities. I think the protocol is pretty robust now, you're in quarantine for 14 days tested days 3 and 12 and if you're positive you're put in a more contained facility for the remainder of your stay. So I think the protocol is good its just that with so many people in these facilities and so many shifts of staff, its quiet easy for people to cut corners or make mistakes.

LS = asks about frozen feight speculation and how credible is that?

I think its extremely unlikely. I dont know of any examples where chilled or frozen food has been impicated in the transmission of this virus. I think its maybe just confusion with the fact there's been quiet a bit of transmission in abattoir settings where people are in quiet a confined condition where it seems the virus can be transmitted quiet easily between people not from meat to people.

LS - is it at all possible that the virus could have been circulating in NZ the whole time either with asymptomatic cases or people with very mild illness??

No its not biologically plausible. We've had over 3 months of no cases in Nz, we know how this virus behaves internationally, it spreads rapidly it infects many people, some of them get sick some go to hospital, they're certainly diagnosed. Really not biologically plausible that we could have had circulation of that nature, with silent transmission for 3 months.

LS then asked about NZ's elimination vs suppression. Talks about having the goal over suppression and discusses examples around the world.

Thinking about the Oz situation, on 10th July Morrison announced that National Cabinet agreed to cut the number of people coming home to Australia from approximately 7,000 to just over 4,000 each week.

That means that at any point over the last 5 weeks there have been at least 8,000 people in hotel quarantine that have returned from overseas. Then there are those who have crossed states borders some have to hotels, others at home, so that could be another 15,000 - 20,000 in hotels and another 15,000-20,000 at home.

Maybe the hotels in the CBDs of the capital cities wont go bankrupt at the end of 2020.

The latest from Victoria..
  • There are 1,188 healthcare workers who are active cases
  • There are 2,034 active cases in aged care settings
  • There are 7,842 active cases across the state
  • There are 659 Victorians in hospital. 41 of those are in intensive care.
  • A total of 1,914,474 test results have been received since the beginning of the year. That's 18,908 since yesterday
  • Total number of infections confirmed in regional local government areas - those that are under Stage 3 restrictions - is 492
The figures above are as supplied by the Victorian CMO. Brett Sutton also spoke about tracing and how much more difficult it became when you have 300-400 cases a day. So much for the COVIDSafe app. I thought that was supposed to take the leg work out of the exercise. I reckon COVIDSafe should go the way of the UK's tracing app. i can remember Scott telling us all to install the app but have not heard much from him since. It would be interesting to get some official figures on how many contacts in Victoria have been traced via the app.

371 new cases in Victoria and 14 deaths. One of today's victims is in his twenties.

Attachments

• 1597375734085.png
    1597375734085.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 28
On the National Front Scott Morrison has copped out big time. When asked if the Federal Government would develop a protocol so that passenger manifests can be shared between airlines and cruise line operators, Morrison said this,

In terms of the issue that you raised about the sharing of manifests, you would be aware of the privacy restrictions that apply to the sharing of those details.
It is appropriate, I'm advised for the ABF to have alerted and shared information with the relevant state health authorities who provide that interface. So the handling of people's personal information in other circumstances, I'm sure you would be asking me questions about if that sort of personal information was shared contrary to the restrictions that are placed on that by governments, you would rightly take me to task over that.
So the ABF has to operate within those guidelines, like any other government agency and any other government department. In this case, it worked through that channel, as I'm told, and if there are improvements as to how that can be done more swiftly, then certainly I would expect the ABF and any agency of government to do things as efficiently as possible, but as I'm advised, they were following the protocol that was there.

Some of the above is gobbledygook, stalling while Morrison thinks of an answer. What Morrison is saying is it isn't the Federal Government's responsibility to share information with private organisations as the ABF passes the information onto the State Authority and what they do with it is up to them. He then hides behind the need to respect people's privacy and it is obvious that he regards the right to privacy as more important than the health and safety of an entire nation. This was a declared State of Emergency which the Morrison Government declared under Commonwealth legislation surely that has take precedence? Surely the fact that the lives of Australians were put at risk due to lack of information is more important than an airline knowing that I or anyone else had just got off a suspect cruise ship? That is using the privacy legislation as a cop out.

If Morrison seriously believes his answer he needs to amend the Biosecurity Act to enable the sharing of information between governments and airlines under a declared State of Emergency.

It is not so much the response but the predictability of that response, as many of us knew that once the findings of the Ruby Princess Enquiry were released the pollies would all start covering their arses. Sure enough the arse covering has started.

We await Gladys' response.

Last edited:
South Australia's fly in case recorded today was a strange one. The man from a Mumbai flight tested positive on his twelfth day in quarantine. That means he returned a false negative early on or the test was a dud or the virus didn't manifest until well into the quarantine period. It reinforces the stay at home for 14 days message. It will be interesting to know if he is still contagious. He has to remain in isolation for a further nine days.

This from the findings of the Ruby Princess Commission of Inquiry.

NSW Health should have ensured that cruise ships were aware of the change to the definition of a 'suspect case' for COVID-19 made on 10 March," the report said.

"This would have resulted in the identification of such cases on the Ruby Princess.

"NSW Health should also have ensured that such persons were isolated in cabins. These were serious mistakes," it said.

The report also said the risk rating system used by NSW Health, which saw the Ruby Princess classed as low risk, which meant no action was needed, was "inexplicable as it is unjustifiable" and "a serious mistake".

"No evidence provided to this Commission, or given by witnesses in the public hearings, comes even reasonably close to satisfactorily explaining how a decision to 'do nothing' by means of precaution was adequate, or rational," the report said.

The report also criticises a directive to allow passengers to travel interstate and internationally, against public health orders.

It then takes aim at the NSW Government for not providing passengers accommodation.

"Under the terms of the Public Health Order, the State Government should have arranged suitable accommodation for all passengers who were not residents of the State," it said.

At the very least Gladys shoud be calling for the resignation of NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard. The Comission lays the blame for much of this fiasco squarely at the feet of NSW Health.

In this morning's press Bret Walker SC is quoted as saying he found no 'systemic failures'. I would have though if all of the above is true the system failed miserably.

Over to you Gladys.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from Woolies...

To help with communicating alerts and contact tracing, you'll start to see posters with a QR Code (a square black and white pattern) as you enter our stores. We'd encourage you to scan the code with the camera on your phone to check in (similar to cafes and restaurants). It has now launched in Victoria, NSW, ACT & Tasmania, with other states and territories to follow. When you scan, we'll only share information with the health authorities for contact tracing if they ask, and to let you know if you shopped the day a confirmed case was advised to be in store.

Looks like Woolies are going with their own version of the CovidSafe app.

Last edited:
This from Woolies...

To help with communicating alerts and contact tracing, you'll start to see posters with a QR Code (a square black and white pattern) as you enter our stores. We'd encourage you to scan the code with the camera on your phone to check in (similar to cafes and restaurants). It has now launched in Victoria, NSW, ACT & Tasmania, with other states and territories to follow. When you scan, we'll only share information with the health authorities for contact tracing if they ask, and to let you know if you shopped the day a confirmed case was advised to be in store.

Looks like Woolies are going with their own version of the CovidSafe app.
More like consumer research dressed up as public health measures.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This from the findings of the Ruby Princess Commission of Inquiry.

NSW Health should have ensured that cruise ships were aware of the change to the definition of a 'suspect case' for COVID-19 made on 10 March," the report said.

"This would have resulted in the identification of such cases on the Ruby Princess.

"NSW Health should also have ensured that such persons were isolated in cabins. These were serious mistakes," it said.

The report also said the risk rating system used by NSW Health, which saw the Ruby Princess classed as low risk, which meant no action was needed, was "inexplicable as it is unjustifiable" and "a serious mistake".

"No evidence provided to this Commission, or given by witnesses in the public hearings, comes even reasonably close to satisfactorily explaining how a decision to 'do nothing' by means of precaution was adequate, or rational," the report said.

The report also criticises a directive to allow passengers to travel interstate and internationally, against public health orders.

It then takes aim at the NSW Government for not providing passengers accommodation.

"Under the terms of the Public Health Order, the State Government should have arranged suitable accommodation for all passengers who were not residents of the State," it said.

At the very least Gladys shoud be calling for the resignation of NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard. The Comission lays the blame for much of this fiasco squarely at the feet of NSW Health.

In this morning's press Bret Walker SC is quoted as saying he found no 'systemic failures'. I would have though if all of the above is true the system failed miserably.

Over to you Gladys.
The NSW Health Minister should have been forced to resign months ago. The Victorian Health (amongst others) minister as soon as the breaches in Hotel Quarantine were known similarly. Nice to know that lack of accountability spans both sides of politics :rolleyes:

So South Australia is to lead the nation in re admitting foreign students into SA Tertiary institutions. I am OK with that provided the students are quarantined at their expense and follow the restrictions placed on the rest of the State. The initial intake is 300 students in early September which is less than three weeks away.

the federal government is in final negotiations with a major vaccine manufacturer, believed to be AstraZeneca, to produce doses in Australia.

The vaccine, being developed in partnership with Oxford University, could be on the market within months. Researchers are due to report on clinical trials in September.

The Murdoch 'Fox-News' style headlines are starting to give me the shits. Breeding fear into the community isn't a great thing.

It's getting better daily yet the headlines make it seem they have 400000 deaths an hour.

View attachment 936964

It's not just limited to the Murdoch press woth Newscorp. Seeing it with every news outlet - Fairfax media, the Guardian, Daily Mail etc. Even just by taking a squizz in the SA health Facebook pages when they announce 1 single case, people comment as if the world is ending and that the govt immediately needs to lock us all down.

If people actually had a critical evaluation of media articles and information without blindly taking a headline as doomsday gospel, the reporting on this would have been slanted in a much different way.

The Murdoch 'Fox-News' style headlines are starting to give me the shits. Breeding fear into the community isn't a great thing.

It's getting better daily yet the headlines make it seem they have 400000 deaths an hour.

View attachment 936964

Just the same as their reporting on sport. Jarrod lienert would be "AFL star" if he did something newsworthy

View attachment 936964

Awful and almost irresponsible headline. Things are clearly improving over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back