Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has not reached that stage yet. For that to happen the entire State would have to go back to stage 3 restrictions and politics should tell us that Andrews will only do that if people start to die. Andrews may expand the designated hot spots and apply Stage 3 restrictions to those hot spots but there will be enough non affected areas for AFL teams to train and play in.

Why they want to rush back to Victoria I do not know because in the current climate they are hardly likely to be playing in front of crowds anytime soon.
Unfortunately in 10 days time or so up to 20% of the current numbers testing positive will be in hospital and 5% in ICU. Some will inevitably die.

Complacency is hard to combat. Things seem relatively normal here and the fear and caution we saw in March and April is long gone. It would not take much for it to get a foothold again.

The one thing we know for sure is that we have no idea how things will be in four weeks time.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

My guess is Andrews will put all of Victoria back into Stage 3 before the weekend, most likely after the NCM on Friday.
He should have done it last weekend, that delay will cost lives.
The complacency goes all the way to the top.

The AFL is providing a huge public service at this time by providing some mental health relief.
Those tightly clinging to the vicBias need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Last edited:
Season is doomed then. Start playing the kids.

The AFL would literally rather kill an entirely salvageable season rather than see the Victorian clubs be inconvenienced.

Not while the NRL is up and running. There's no way the AFL will allow its main rival such a massive free swing on the nations televisions.

If push really comes to shove the clubs will move whether they like it or not.

Not while the NRL is up and running. There's no way the AFL will allow its main rival such a massive free swing on the nations televisions.

If push really comes to shove the clubs will move whether they like it or not.

Don't think I'm an orphan in thinking the changes made to the AFL this season has made the NRL better viewing. The AFL don't want to get much else wrong.

Don't think I'm an orphan in thinking the changes made to the AFL this season has made the NRL better viewing. The AFL don't want to get much else wrong.

Theres little doubt the NRL has emerged from this whole thing in better shape. They'd been planning their return longer and got on the front foot early in pinpointing May 28 as their return date.
In contrast the AFL was just twiddling its thumbs and only set about doing anything at all once the NRL moved first.
And there's little doubt AFL fans were watching the NRL during its first few weeks back and with no AFL on the tele. The players certainly were, and you only need to look at how ALL teams have adopted the NRL style of singing of team songs as evidence.

Theres little doubt the NRL has emerged from this whole thing in better shape. They'd been planning their return longer and got on the front foot early in pinpointing May 28 as their return date.
In contrast the AFL was just twiddling its thumbs and only set about doing anything at all once the NRL moved first.
And there's little doubt AFL fans were watching the NRL during its first few weeks back and with no AFL on the tele. The players certainly were, and you only need to look at how ALL teams have adopted the NRL style of singing of team songs as evidence.

Let's be honest though. The NRL has benefited primarily from not being a national sport. I know they've had to bring a team in from NZ, but that is not going well at all. Most of their players want to go home. They'll never get to the end of the season.

Any gains they make will be lost with the next **insert topic** scandal.

Have Victoria been reporting a whole lot of false positives over this testing blitz period, or is it that the system is overstressed and they are producing duplicate cases then removing them??

I took note of this on yesterday and have dug back to 17 June when numbers took off and started to record in the 20's or more each day for first time since about April 11th.

Had a look at Vic health daily press release
The total number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Victoria is 2536 with 74 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 67, with seven cases reclassified.

The total number of cases recorded as at Saturday was 2,469 then Sunday they have 74 cases but the total increases by 67 to 2,536.

That says to me that either there are 7 cases were false positives, Or more likely they have doubled counted a s**t load of cases - which could be the case given they are stretching their resources, or maybe for both reasons. In the 9 reclassification days listed below, twice they say the reclassification is because of duplication, but the other 7 days don't say why? Its probably because of duplication, than false positive but they should state it clearly.

From the Vic daily media releases all at - https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/media-hub-coronavirus-disease-covid-19

18/6 1,780 with 18 new cases reported yesterday.
19/6 1,792, with 13 new cases reported yesterday... One previously notified case has been reclassified and removed from the overall total.
20/6 1,817, with 25 new cases reported yesterday.
21/6 1,836, with 19 new cases reported yesterday.
22/6 1,847, with 16 new cases reported yesterday. Five previously reported cases have been identified as duplicates and removed from the total.
28/6 2,028, with 49 new cases reported yesterday.
29/6 2,099, with 75 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 71, with four cases reclassified.
30/6 2,159 with 64 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 60, with four cases reclassified due to duplications.
1/7 2,231 with 73 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 72, with one case reclassified.
2/7 2,303 with 77 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 72, with five cases reclassified.
3/7 2,368 with 66 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 65, with one case reclassified.
4/7 2,469 with 108 new cases reported yesterday.The overall total has increased by 101, with seven case reclassified.
5/7 2,536 with 74 new cases reported yesterday. The overall total has increased by 67, with seven cases reclassified.

Today there were more reclassifications - as stated in the press conference, but no official press release on the website yet.

Last edited:

The NRL has been lucky as the majority of teams are based in NSW. Their only real concerns were Melbourne Storm and the Warriors who relocated. The tighter game format also helped with the lack of crowds as the sound effects plus a camera focused close to the play meant we didn't miss the crowd that much. The techs doing the sound effects have it down to a fine art and the only time you notice there is a limited crowd is when the ball is kicked into the air and that does not happen as much as the AFL. I reckon the A League will also have an advantage with it's close format.

As Member of both an AFL and an NRL club I no longer get involved in a pissing contest over the codes and I can watch and enjoy either but I have to say that this season the NRL has been affected less and is almost business as usual right down to sacking of a Coach mid season and speculation about the future of another. Even the NRL360 is more interesting to watch than it's AFL counterpart. The likes of Paul Kent, Buzz Rothfield and James Hooper are not frightened to put the occasional bomb under the NRL. I can remember last year when Kenty got into the Referees coach and related a phone conversation verbatim. How many times do we hear the media teeing off at AFL umpiring standards? The AFL 360 version is too Victorian centred too patronising and lets Gillion and Co get away with murder. As AFL supporters we are talking about how the AFL is managing the game while in the NRL world they are talking about the future of Anthony Siebold, the Broncos inability to win and the non penalty in the last seconds of last night's Manly v Knights game.

I doubt that anything that happens in the NRL this year is going to bother the AFL too much but that does not mean the NRL is not worth a look.

Last edited:
Let's be honest though. The NRL has benefited primarily from not being a national sport. I know they've had to bring a team in from NZ, but that is not going well at all. Most of their players want to go home. They'll never get to the end of the season.

Any gains they make will be lost with the next **insert topic** scandal.

The scandals are the same both sports, the only difference is in the closeness of the press to the sports in the respective states.

Have Victoria been reporting a whole lot of false positives over this testing blitz period, or is it that the system is overstressed and they are producing duplicate cases then removing them??

There has been some suspect resulting coming out Victoria for some time. At least three people that we know of tested negative in Victoria, were released from quarantine, only to display symptoms and or test positive in another State.
Given the nature of the cowboy operation in Victoria maybe they had the security guards doing the testing at the quarantine hotels? They appear to have been allowed to do every thing else. :rolleyes:

The scandals are the same both sports, the only difference is in the closeness of the press to the sports in the respective states.

For sure, in fact the NRL has more off field drama in a week than the AFL has in a year.

The difference is the way it is reported. We all see crap umpiring decisions in Port games and they do not rate a second mention yet in the NRL if the Ref gets it wrong they replay it several times and comment on it as was the case in yesterday's Manly v Knights game.

I am sure that as part of the FOXTEL/AFL television rights package the commentators are not permitted to go hard at umpiring standards or AFL policy. I am not sure that the same limitations apply in the NRL / FOXTEL deal as the NRL media seem to be able to have a dead set dip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure, in fact the NRL has more off field drama in a week than the AFL has in a year.

The difference is the way it is reported. We all see crap umpiring decisions in Port games and they do not rate a second mention yet in the NRL if the Ref gets it wrong they replay it several times and comment on it as was the case in yesterday's Manly v Knights game.

I am sure that as part of the FOXTEL/AFL television rights package the commentators are not permitted to go hard at umpiring standards or AFL policy. I am not sure that the same limitations apply in the NRL / FOXTEL deal as the NRL media seem to be able to have a dead set dip.
Victoria IS football, football virtually holds the government to ransom, it’s the old school tie and their whole identity is based on it.
Because of this the media will cover up as much as they can to keep the gravy train rolling.
Footy in Victoria covers all the ‘classes’ And is played at the most and least prestigious schools and colleges so there’s not much to fall through the gaps, whereas league is played more in public schools compared to union in the private schools.

Season is doomed then. Start playing the kids.

The AFL would literally rather kill an entirely salvageable season rather than see the Victorian clubs be inconvenienced.

I heard on radio the other day with BT etc... TV rating up x 15%, that's gotta help revenue, Imaging they realise if they deviate from the norm due to circumstances it might generate more money?

Well done to Mundulla, Kybybolite, Kalangadoo, East Gambier, North Gambier and South Gambier Football Clubs. Will there be exemptions for players who live over the border in Victoria?

Nah per 100 players, NRL has more scandals.

Its alcohol related.

Leaguies have to be bigger and stronger - A 188cm player in League can be about 100-110kgs. A 188cm AFL player is expected to be 88kgs +or- 2-3kgs, as they have to run all day. So Leaguies relax with beers as well as drugs, AFL players stay off the booze, want to avoid the fat club, but they get on the drugs, as that doesn't put on weight.

The majority of NRL scandals happen when players are pissed in both a public and private setting.

I agree the Vic media bury stories more than NSW media, partly because the class situation you posted above.

But they want to be close to players - be mates. Eddie McGuire as a young adult/journo in his 20's loved partying at the night clubs and pubs with VFL players. Became good mates with them. talks about it all the time. He knew which scandals to bury - and which ones to go after because he wasn't close to them.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said police were well aware of the places people could swim across the NSW-Victoria border or walk across through the bush.

How long will it be before some poor pillock drowns trying to swim the Murray at night?

Maybe Glad has plans to import a few crocs from the Territory? ;)

Nah per 100 players, NRL has more scandals.

Its alcohol related.
There's also a culture of group sex as a bonding activity with the NRL. AFL has had it's share of sex scandals (although as noted less per 100 players), but they rarely have involved more than one player. We've had plenty of NRL one's of consenting and non-consenting multiple players and one (or at least many less) women. The AFL of course has plenty of players as a group going out and picking up (nothing wrong with that), but once hooked up it's every man for himself, not 'passing the shared prize' as the NRL.

Unfortunately in 10 days time or so up to 20% of the current numbers testing positive will be in hospital and 5% in ICU. Some will inevitably die.

Complacency is hard to combat. Things seem relatively normal here and the fear and caution we saw in March and April is long gone. It would not take much for it to get a foothold again.

Where the heck have you pulled these percentages from?

If this was a virus that resulted in 20% of all infected going to hospital and 5% of all infected entering ICU, we'd be in far more trouble that we are currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back