News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, as a historian (although admittedly not my area of speciality), vaccine mandates are not new. There are hundreds of examples of when governments have declared that a vaccine be mandatory, and in most cases courts have upheld these. Some of these examples recent (HPV in schools, measles in Germany).

I do not ever recall in my living memory the resistance to mandatory or even incentivised vaccination as we have seen these past months.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this resistance has come about at the same time that there has been a concerted effort by some fringe people to capitalise upon mistrust of government to publish and disseminate misinformation that is spreading like wildfire. It was alleged recently that something like 12 accounts were responsible for 2/3 of covid-19 misinformation. This dissent isn't free thinking, it is completely manufactured, and is a political problem as much as it is a public health problem. You've been played.

IMO you'd have to go back to the mid 19th century to find anywhere near the amount of vaccine mandate resistance that we're seeing today, back when most of the population were illiterate and vaccines were pretty damn new.

Last edited:
It's true, but most people don't make those decisions in 'moments of their life' to undertake a behaviour, in the context of a pandemic that has obliterated social life as we know it, against which they have been warned all day every day that the consequences of such a decision will be so significant as to potentially threaten the health care system's ability to treat anyone else.
Has there been an example anywhere in the world of a health system choosing to prioritise vaccinated people over non-vaccinated people?

I strongly doubt it, and I honestly can't imagine a doctor or nurse actually doing it.

A few hotheads on internet forums might say it out of frustration, but it just won't happen in Australia. It just won't.

Has there been an example anywhere in the world of a health system choosing to prioritise vaccinated people over non-vaccinated people?

I strongly doubt it, and I honestly can't imagine a doctor or nurse actually doing it.

A few hotheads on internet forums might say it out of frustration, but it just won't happen in Australia. It just won't.

I read an article from a triage ethicist the other week who said it already happens in terms of consideration of who is most likely to survive, particularly during pandemics where that triage becomes more and more constrained. He also made the point that a single infectious disease patient actually reduces the ability to help others more so than a heart attack patient for example, because you can't just drop them into a ward full of uninfected people, meaning that its impact upon others also gets weighed up. I'll try to find it.

Last edited:

In an interview in the Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Monday, the anesthesiologist Christian Salaroli compared the situation in hospitals to wartime.

“We decide based on age, and on health conditions. Just like all war situations,” he told the paper. “It’s not me that decides but the book manuals we studied.”

Salaroli went on to say that if a patient came to the hospital with severe respiratory failure, it’s likely that the doctor “won’t go ahead” with treatment.

Just woke up after getting my second Pfizer jab. Thought I’d be okay but I feel so sh*t
I had my second Pfizer Wednesday. Felt like s*** yesterday, really lethargic and fatigued. Today it's like nothing ever happened.

the big problem with the jab polici from a publicans point of view (a mate) is that the onus ison him to make sure all staff are double jabbed and also patrons, of that’s the case then govt has obligation to make process as quick and easy as possible, you don’t want a situation where publicans could be fined for having the unvaxxed in their venues ☹️

You do realise you will catch Covid at some stage in the next few years, most likely from a vaccinated person considering close to 90% of people will be vaccinated.

The level of your sickness will not be determined by whom you caught it from. It will be determined by how effective your immune system can fight it.

Not sure why a vaccinated person would be afraid of an unvaccinated person.

Anyway, I wish we all only catch a mild case at worst when we finally do catch it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go ahead mate. Live your life in denial. Ignore all of the medical evidence that is coming to light about the difference in the severity and number of cases of covid-19 occurring in unvaccinated people versus vaccinated people.

For as long as I have been going around I have witnessed just how well Vaccines have protected us from serious illness or death through vaccination. Here is a list. And by the way I have had shots to protect me against most of those without any ill effect whatsoever.
  1. Cholera
  2. COVID-19
  3. Dengue fever[6]
  4. Diphtheria
  5. Ebola
  6. Haemophilus influenzae type b
  7. Hepatitis A
  8. Hepatitis B
  9. Hepatitis E
  10. Human papillomavirus infection
  11. Influenza
  12. Japanese encephalitis
  13. Malaria[6]
  14. Measles
  15. Meningococcal disease
  16. Mumps
  17. Pneumococcal disease
  18. Pertussis
  19. Poliomyelitis
  20. Rabies
  21. Rotavirus gastroenteritis
  22. Rubella
  23. Tetanus
  24. Tick-borne encephalitis
  25. Tuberculosis
  26. Typhoid fever
  27. Varicella
  28. Yellow fever
  29. Shingles (Herpes Zoster)
When I was born, vaccines had not been developed for many of those. Vaccines for many of these were developed when I was a kid. Those vaccines changed our lives, just as the vaccines that have been developed to combat covid-19 over the last 12 months will and are already doing.

I hate to think just how many more people would have succumbed here in Australia, if the brilliant epidemiological minds throughout the world had not moved so quickly and delivered to us all of the vaccines that we now have. These people will still be working to improve the efficacy of these vaccines so as to better safeguard lives.

Unchecked the Delta strain had and still has the capacity to kill many more people and leave others with hugely unpleasant lifelong conditions.

The only thing I realise from your post is that you have no ability to exhibit any statistical credibility whatsoever. Have a read of your post and try to work out how in the space of just 4 sentences, you have managed to contradict yourself.

At the end of the day, I don't care whether you or any of your anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theory or whatever weird reason you have for opposing vaccinations, does not get vaccinated. Go ahead and live your lives where the danger is so much greater and where you might ultimately be barred from participating in a near normal society post maximum population vaccination.

I just care that a set of rules will apply to all events, which protect the vast majority of people who are prepared to get vaccinated, from the idiot fringe who choose not to get vaccinated. So long as the idiot fringe are barred from going to events like the football, the vast majority will be able to go back to living a life as close to what it was pre-covid-19.

Last edited:

In an interview in the Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Monday, the anesthesiologist Christian Salaroli compared the situation in hospitals to wartime.

“We decide based on age, and on health conditions. Just like all war situations,” he told the paper. “It’s not me that decides but the book manuals we studied.”

Salaroli went on to say that if a patient came to the hospital with severe respiratory failure, it’s likely that the doctor “won’t go ahead” with treatment.
Triage is not based on vaccination status, though.

omg !! Date #3 for the week has just texted as is coming for lunch 😱.

I have been in isolation and my house hasn’t received much in the way of visitors 🤦‍♂️.
Where is the bloody vacuum , where’s the dishwasher 😱.

This isn’t good , she sent accompanying semi nude pics , you wouldn’t show anyone the bedroom . It’s lockdown and I wasn’t expecting visitors.
See never date a local , can only end badly .
Right focus time for me 🤦‍♂️

Go ahead mate. Live your life in denial. Ignore all of the medical evidence that is coming to light about the difference in the severity and number of cases of covid-19 occurring in unvaccinated people versus vaccinated people.

For as long as I have been going around I have witnessed just how well Vaccines have protected us from serious illness or death through vaccination. Here is a list. And by the way I have had shots to protect me against most of those without any ill effect whatsoever.
  1. Cholera
  2. COVID-19
  3. Dengue fever[6]
  4. Diphtheria
  5. Ebola
  7. Hepatitis A
  8. Hepatitis B
  9. Hepatitis E
  11. Influenza
  13. Malaria[6]
  14. Measles
  16. Mumps
  17. Pneumococcal disease
  18. Pertussis
  19. Poliomyelitis
  20. Rabies
  22. Rubella
  23. Tetanus
  25. Tuberculosis
  26. Typhoid fever
  27. Varicella
  28. Yellow fever
When I was born, vaccines had not been developed for many of those. Vaccines for many of these were developed when I was a kid. Those vaccines changed our lives, just as the vaccines that have been developed to combat covid-19 over the last 12 months will and are already doing.

I hate to think just how many more people would have succumbed here in Australia, if the brilliant epidemiological minds throughout the world had not moved so quickly and delivered to us all of the vaccines that we now have. These people will still be working to improve the efficacy of these vaccines so as to better safeguard lives.

Unchecked the Delta strain had and still has the capacity to kill many more people and leave others with hugely unpleasant lifelong conditions.

The only thing I realise from your post is that you have no ability to exhibit any statistical credibility whatsoever. Have a read of your post and try to work out how in the spaces of just 4 sentences, you have managed to contradict yourself.

At the end of the day, I don't care whether you or any of your anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theory or whatever weird reason you have for opposing vaccinations, does not get vaccinated. Go ahead and live your lives where the danger is so much greater and where you might ultimately be barred from participating in a near normal society post maximum population vaccination.

I just care that a set of rules will apply to all events, which protect the vast majority of people who are prepared to get vaccinated, from the idiot fringe who choose not to get vaccinated. So long as the idiot fringe are barred from going to events like the football, the vast majority will be able to go back to living a life as close to what it was pre-covid-19.
The only medication that made me sick was Anti Malaria tablets…shocking things back in the late 90’s

I have been in isolation and my house hasn’t received much in the way of visitors 🤦‍♂️.

This isn’t good , she sent accompanying semi nude pics , you wouldn’t show anyone the bedroom . It’s lockdown and I wasn’t expecting visitors.
Just dont go off too early! 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omfg lol what is the best subreddit to repost this on? r/ihavesex? r/thathappened?

1. Cholera
  2. COVID-19
  3. Dengue fever[6]
  4. Diphtheria
  5. Ebola
  7. Hepatitis A
  8. Hepatitis B
  9. Hepatitis E
  11. Influenza
  13. Malaria[6]
  14. Measles
  16. Mumps
  17. Pneumococcal disease
  18. Pertussis
  19. Poliomyelitis
  20. Rabies
  22. Rubella
  23. Tetanus
  25. Tuberculosis
  26. Typhoid fever
  27. Varicella
  28. Yellow fever

The only thing I realise from your post is that you have no ability to exhibit any statistical credibility whatsoever. Have a read of your post and try to work out how in the spaces of just 4 sentences, you have managed to contradict yourself.

Mate, when you great her at the door, a simple blindfold will work wonders :cool:

So far we have had posters wanting unvaxed people to be shot, beaten, denied health care. Calling them selfish. Implying that they are pedos. Wanting them to be second class citizens and pariahs in their own country.

FMD. What the hell have we become ?

And before you start hen pecking me. I'm fully vaccinated . IMO .Its none of my business what other people do.
But we have a bunch of Mrs Jessups and Mrs Mangels in here and i just don't get it
100%. Same boat as you. Vaxxed but none of my business and pro vaccine. Like tas I'd have preferred to have seen some longer term studies but it is what it is.

Not to mention the holier than thou attitude people have over anyone that dares not join in with their tearing down of others.

Just sitting off to the sidelines you can tell which individuals would do some pretty terrible acts if society ever got that bad. Getting 'Ordinary Men' by Christoper Browning vibes from some in here at times (which is a horrifying thought).

100%. Same boat as you. Vaxxed but none of my business and pro vaccine. Like tas I'd have preferred to have seen some longer term studies but it is what it is.

Not to mention the holier than thou attitude people have over anyone that dares not join in with their tearing down of others.

Just sitting off to the sidelines you can tell which individuals would do some pretty terrible acts if society ever got that bad. Getting 'Ordinary Men' by Christoper Browning vibes from some in here at times (which is a horrifying thought).

Oh pull your ******* head in. There are literal Nazis organising this protest.

Get the vaccine.

If not, stay home. There’s a safety net.

WOW.

Qld govt just announced regardless of hitting vax targets there borders will remain closed.

I’m calling it now. Footy hubs will be needed next year from round 1.

I can’t see players association agreeing to this as the impost on family will be too great for 3 years in a row.

Could be the first time an AFL season isn’t completed.

The problem with our overly compliant society is that our government will Continue to take advantage of us and impose stricter and harsher rules.

At how many days in lockdown (300,350,400,500) even with 80% vaccination will people still be happy with lockdowns and closed borders?
There’s a few in this thread that would be happy to hide under their doona the rest of their lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back