Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

When the outbreak in QLD ends, teams will fly into QLD to resume GABBA/Metricon games. Because WA insist on having 28 days without community transfer before reopening borders to said states, teams that fly into QLD during this time wont be able to play games in Perth. As evident when the AFL took into consideration that Collingwood would not be able to fly into Perth to play round 5 at Optus had they played Lions/Pies at Metricon instead, which was a consideration at the time. Unless teams coming into the state are granted exemptions to these imo archaic border rules, I can easily see us and Freo playing out home games interstate against teams who have come from QLD during this 28 day period (or NSW if the border closes with them, too).

We only have to deal with 2 Qld teams (and WC have played one of them already) so the fixture disruption would be minimal.

With regards to Collingwood and other sides that play a Qld side then come to WA - assuming that it's come about because WA is slower on relaxing borders - just like last year there will be a bubble situation for visiting interstate sides even if there are border restrictions. In any event, I doubt we will be that harsh now that vaccinations are rolling out and we're getting better at controlling COVID.

We only have to deal with 2 Qld teams (and WC have played one of them already) so the fixture disruption would be minimal.

With regards to Collingwood and other sides that play a Qld side then come to WA - assuming that it's come about because WA is slower on relaxing borders - just like last year there will be a bubble situation for visiting interstate sides even if there are border restrictions. In any event, I doubt we will be that harsh now that vaccinations are rolling out and we're getting better at controlling COVID.
I think timing will be the main factor in deciding who gets disadvantaged. For the next 3-4 weeks that will be the Lions and Suns and both teams will probably have to cop 1 "Home" game in Melbourne. If in a few weeks time though Covid is under control I'd expect both teams will be allowed back into QLD for Rd's 6/7 for home games in QLD.

If WA still has that 28 day rule in place at that point and considers any team who plays in QLD a 'dirty' team, then a game like Freo v Lions in Rd 8 might be moved to Adelaide to avoid that. It's going to be a mess this year still but everyone will just have to be ok with potentially losing a home game or two at some point probably over the next 4 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back