Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farcical.

Cruel political opportunism.

Both Federal and state budgets now have an assumption on the WA border opening around April 2021. Funnily enough, the WA election is in March 2021. But of course borders are not a political tool and this is a coincidence.

So the fuhrer has announced no Stage 5 for at least another 2 months and no border changes at all until after that. Merry F-IN xmas Mark.. Anyone who doesn't believe this isn't political now has their head in the sand or up their clacker.

So the fuhrer has announced no Stage 5 for at least another 2 months and no border changes at all until after that. Merry F-IN xmas Mark.. Anyone who doesn't believe this isn't political now has their head in the sand or up their clacker.
Look I don't think stage 5 should be introduced at all. Support venues and other business affected with money from the state budget surplus but stage 5 would a foolish thing to do while also suggesting that ultra strict borders are necessary even with COVID free states.

We all know that the state borders are purely political, but I think there has to be some concern about all of these infected ships coming in and that might be the cause of the delay with phase 5.

Last edited:

When you're comparing McGowan's restrictions to Nazi Germany you know the argument is lost.

I thought we should be happy that the WA economy is thriving - unless you somehow believe that our economy would be doing even better with no border restrictions. Of course it's politically motivated - but if it means we're living a life of normality while people in Victoria still have to deal with not being able to travel very far or have parties, I'm prepared to cop that.

The bigger question for me, is what is the end game? What is the plan for opening up and how will we manage it, given we have eliminated the virus but other places haven't.

It seems almost inevitable that a vaccine will be released early next year (they are already manufacturing them in anticipation) but it is also very likely it will not be 100% effective (could be as low as 50%). This will still be a big help in controlling outbreaks, but it seems very unlikely that the virus will disappear.

How does a place like WA handle opening up to the rest of the world even with a 50% effective vaccine? We will have to accept a period where some people will still catch it and the vulnerable will die. Our leaders don't seem interested in having this conversation, or setting a realistic expectation, but we will have to face it at some point.

The bigger question for me, is what is the end game? What is the plan for opening up and how will we manage it, given we have eliminated the virus but other places haven't.

It seems almost inevitable that a vaccine will be released early next year (they are already manufacturing them in anticipation) but it is also very likely it will not be 100% effective (could be as low as 50%). This will still be a big help in controlling outbreaks, but it seems very unlikely that the virus will disappear.

How does a place like WA handle opening up to the rest of the world even with a 50% effective vaccine? We will have to accept a period where some people will still catch it and the vulnerable will die. Our leaders don't seem interested in having this conversation, or setting a realistic expectation, but we will have to face it at some point.
I don't know what the answer is but when you look at how Europe is currently traveling I'm happy to leave the borders closed indefinitely.

I am annoyed my abilities to search posts is crap, because in April I am very certain I had a post basically saying that what has happened has occured, in that the States wouldn't be able to agree when to open up to each other, and it would create animosity between States going forward. It was my main reason that I hoped that Australia as a collectively would go for eradication as opposed to suppression, purely because it was a lock that State A with 15 cases and State B with 0 or 2 cases would struggle to find mutual reasons to opening up to each other. Even a concrete plan would help including objective targets for total tests/test%/positives/hospital beds etc...

If they could at least make significant plans to expand quarantine capacities would go a long way to keeping up the border.

I honestly think our end game will be determined by Europe and the US the next few months. If over Northern winter things get really bad (and I actually think they will in the USA) it will be easier to keep international borders closed, and by extension tolerance for domestic borders will change.

I do laugh at how the State Labor government delivering a surplus during a pandemic has essentially flipped the script on whether surpluses are good or bad for each side of politics.

SOOOOOO our borders are shut but they let this happen

let us hope that these two are not infected considering the ship they have come off is rife with it

SOOOOOO our borders are shut but they let this happen

let us hope that these two are not infected considering the ship they have come off is rife with it
Both were Australians who had been at sea for months and had permission to quarantine at home. They complied with the directions and so far have returned a negative test. I feel pretty comfortable that the systems in place are working.

When you're comparing McGowan's restrictions to Nazi Germany you know the argument is lost.

I thought we should be happy that the WA economy is thriving - unless you somehow believe that our economy would be doing even better with no border restrictions. Of course it's politically motivated - but if it means we're living a life of normality while people in Victoria still have to deal with not being able to travel very far or have parties, I'm prepared to cop that.
Congratulations, your happy with things so good for you. Some of us have dying or elderly parents in WA that wont be alive come April next year and are living interstate in places where there is community transmission. Guess we have to suck it up for your happiness. Couple this with the fact It has nothing to do with Health Advice that he wont release and as his constant lying and mistruths about the economy of WA its not that far a stretch to suggest he is a dictator.

Congratulations, your happy with things so good for you. Some of us have dying or elderly parents in WA that wont be alive come April next year and are living interstate in places where there is community transmission. Guess we have to suck it up for your happiness. Couple this with the fact It has nothing to do with Health Advice that he wont release and as his constant lying and mistruths about the economy of WA its not that far a stretch to suggest he is a dictator.

• compassionate grounds – including urgent and essential medical treatment, visiting a relative who has suffered a serious medical episode, or whose death is imminent, and to attend a funeral

Jawohl, mein fuhrer indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jawohl, mein fuhrer indeed.
That all very well and good but when you have been knocked back 3 times on the same compassionate grounds and even when allowed in still have to quarantine for 14 days and also hold a job where your coming from it leaves very little option unless you have months worth of leave to count on. You might be surprised it looks easy enough on a website but there are hundreds of people who get knocked back each week on grounds where they should be allowed in. The cases are easy to find.

its ok, you can continue to wank over McGowan and his front page last week of how scared he is of somehow thousands of cases suddenly appearing.

Last edited:
That all very well and good but when you have been knocked back 3 times on the same compassionate grounds and even when allowed in still have to quarantine for 14 days and also hold a job where your coming from it leaves very little option unless you have months worth of leave to count on. You might be surprised it looks easy enough on a website but there are hundreds of people who get knocked back each week on grounds where they should be allowed in. The cases are easy to find.

its ok, you can continue to wank over McGowan and his front page last week of how scared he is of somehow thousands of cases suddenly appearing.

Sorry Pal but you can apply to be exempt from quarantine for a short period of time in your G2G application. Most people do this to attend a funeral or visit a sick relative. There are things you have to do (mask up, plan with the hospital etc) but it can be done.

You can also leave quarantine early IF it is approved and you return back to the state you came from. This is more easily done if you are in self-quarantine.

Sorry Pal but you can apply to be exempt from quarantine for a short period of time in your G2G application. Most people do this to attend a funeral or visit a sick relative. There are things you have to do (mask up, plan with the hospital etc) but it can be done.

You can also leave quarantine early IF it is approved and you return back to the state you came from. This is more easily done if you are in self-quarantine.

Yep, have had family do this.

You have to be an AFL footballer or movie star to be able to move freely between states. Hope you get a pass at some stage.

no news today so far. think we're going to have another 20 odd people infected with the 24 from the ship

think we will have cases linked to the ship based on the silence or the lateness of the news.

This tells you everything you need to know. In short, both people tested negative and were quarantining anyway. State has now tightened up protocols for ships, as there has become an increased infection risk due to crew changes around the world.

This tells you everything you need to know. In short, both people tested negative and were quarantining anyway. State has now tightened up protocols for ships, as there has become an increased infection risk due to crew changes around the world.

they shouldnt have been allowed off in the first place, they could still become positive in a week or so. incubation period is up to fourteen days

they shouldnt have been allowed off in the first place, they could still become positive in a week or so. incubation period is up to fourteen days
I think they're onto it now. NZ has just had some cases from the same thing. Seems like it is a new risk that has come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back