Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely unbelievable selection exercise as we turn our backs on youth and bring back a 34 year old batsman and pluck a 32 year old keeper from the wilderness.

This is the eighth time that Shaun Marsh has been recalled to the Test Team. That of course implies that he has been considered not good enough on seven occasions. Chairman of Selectors Trevor Hohns is on record as saying they selected Shaun Marsh because there are not enough young batsmen putting their hands up for selection. So what have Jake Lehmann and Jake Weatherall been doing this past month or more to the point what South American beach has Hohns and his fellow selectors been sunning themselves on while the likes of Lehmann and Weatherall have been piling on the runs?

Tim Paine has kept wickets in three first class matches in the past two seasons and averaged just 17 with the bat in that time. Yet I just heard the Australian Captain say, Tim has a great presence on the field and i am excited about what he brings to the team. Maybe I am missing something because Paine has one first class century to his name and that was made in 2006. Darren Lehmann and Justin Langer both scored centuries post 2006. According to Trevor Hohns, Paine is, the best keeper in the country. If this is so can Hohns explain why the Tasmanian selectors made him their second choice keeper all last year ?

South Australia has made the Shield final for the past two seasons and is currently third on the list but can only get one player in the thirteen man squad and he is likely to be left out of the team. What is going to take for Jake Lehmann, Jake Wheatherall and Alex Carey's existence to even be recognised by Hohns and company?

Last edited:

A rain delay in Brisbane, no surprises there
Yep they should play a test match there in August or September when the average monthly rainfall is about 30-40mm but November to February its between 100-130mm.

Absolutely unbelievable selection exercise as we turn our backs on youth and bring back a 34 year old batsman and pluck a 32 year old keeper from the wilderness.

This is the eighth time that Shaun Marsh has been recalled to the Test Team. That of course implies that he has been considered not good enough on seven occasions. Chairman of Selectors Trevor Hohns is on record as saying they selected Shaun Marsh because there are not enough young batsmen putting their hands up for selection. So what have Jake Lehmann and Jake Weatherall been doing this past month or more to the point what South American beach has Hohns and his fellow selectors been sunning themselves on while the likes of Lehmann and Weatherall have been piling on the runs?

Tim Paine has kept wickets in three first class matches in the past two seasons and averaged just 17 with the bat in that time. Yet I just heard the Australian Captain say, Tim has a great presence on the field and i am excited about what he brings to the team. Maybe I am missing something because Paine has one first class century to his name and that was made in 2006. Darren Lehmann and Justin Langer both scored centuries post 2006. According to Trevor Hohns, Paine is, the best keeper in the country. If this is so can Hohns explain why the Tasmanian selectors made him their second choice keeper all last year ?

South Australia has made the Shield final for the past two seasons and is currently third on the list but can only get one player in the thirteen man squad and he is likely to be left out of the team. What is going to take for Jake Lehmann, Jake Wheatherall and Alex Carey's existence to even be recognised by Hohns and company?

It truly was a the most bizarre selection of Lehmann's/Smith's era.
Almost as bizarre as the CA's decision to name T Hohns as the national selector.

4/196 worse then I thought we would have could've had two or three more wickets one coming from a wicket keeper who isn't even a wicket keeper in Sheffield if I'm correct CA make some strange decisions

Maybe a media shakes head moment but Mark Nicholas was just talking about Ritchie Benaud, after seeing the Ritchie’s in the pool at the Gabba, and says “the ocean is different from the sea”.

Lyon is still getting plenty of spin and has definitely bowled without much luck, particularly to Malan who could have been out 5 or 6 times last night, but the quicks would probably get more life out of rolled plasticine than they are getting out of this Gabba track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H
It was 248/4, then, suddenly, it is 286/9. What happened?!

England's middle and bottom of the line-up is rubbish or was this just a bad day?
Hehe, where did you learn about cricket Gremio? I assume not Australia with your runs/wickets rather than wickets/runs.

Yesterday I heard Richie Richardson was the match referee. Just looked at Cricinfo scoreboard and saw its Sir Richie. I didn't know he got a knighthood so checked and found in February 2014 Antigua gave Ritchie, Curtley Ambrose and Andy Roberts a knighthood all at the same time to join fellow Antiguan Sir Viv.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/26392726

This article says 11 Windies players have been knighted. Made me think about Clive Lloyd. Then I double checked if Guyana, only part of the Windies nations on the continent of South America, has a president or queen as head of state and its the former, so no Sir Clive.

The to and froms obviously don't feel they have any obligation to provide any form of entertainment, and yet no doubt they wonder why test cricket is fading in popularity.
Some of those tactics against Smith, with 4 or 5 bouncers an over and 5 or 6 fieldsmen on the leg side are absolute bullshit. :thumbsdown:
It could get very interesting if Root tries that garbage in the Boxing Day test, because if he does I can see the MCG crowd getting very annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back