Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Knew we'd lose that after watching the 1st session. Quicks were bowling absolute pies to Stokes and Bairstow at the start.

then saw the review we went for... WTF was Paine thinking, when you think the one he did when he got out was bad in the 2nd dig!.
then 2 runs left Wilson the useless plonker couldn't give a plumb LBW out, yikes.. He should booted for the rest of the series and never be allowed to be given a VISA in this country!.

anyway, changes.

obvious one should Smith in Paine and Wade takes the gloves with S Smith placed as acting captain for the last 2 tests. Deserves a 2nd chance IMO and he's our best player by mile. Khawaja out for Carey
Starc for Pattinson

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Smith (a/c)
4. Labushagne
5. Head
6. Carey
7. Wade (w/k)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

Oh boy this is taking some time to sink in. Steve Smith cannot be named Captain as it is part of his CA suspension that he will not be considered for any leadership position for twelve months after the conclusion of his playing ban. Given the level of public outrage that surrounded the original ban Cricket Australia is hardly likely to reverse any of the conditions.

If you are going to put Alex Carey, who isn't even in the touring party, in the side why wouldn't you give him the gloves? Carey is an infinitely better glove man than Matthew Wade.

There were a few Port footballers over the years who should have been at Rick Montiadis's rooms but were across the road at the Alberton Hotel. ;)

There were a couple of players who were regulars at the Park View Hotel in Bowden in the last days of Foster's time at Alberton. One of them might have won a few Magarey Medals. :rolleyes: Geez, that takes me back, must have been around 1971/72.

There were a couple of players who were regulars at the Park View Hotel in Bowden in the last days of Foster's time at Alberton. One of them might have won a few Magarey Medals. :rolleyes: Geez, that takes me back, must have been around 1971/72.

One Russell Francis Ebert had quite the reputation as a young man. Hanging out with Bruce Light and Leon Milde. ;)

Gutsy effort by Stokes, it has got to be right up there as one of the best innings to win a test in the history of the game.

Not sure about Langer as coach of Oz though, his non use of Starc in the 3 tests so far has been kern levels of baffling.

You've got to be joking. The absence of Starc with the red ball has probably been the most significant factor in the side having control of all three tests.

You've got to be joking. The absence of Starc with the red ball has probably been the most significant factor in the side having control of all three tests.

How do you control a Test then manage to loose it? I think you are getting carried away as Australia did not control the second Test.

Usman made runs opening against Derby so there is a chance he may be used as an opener in the next Test. Then again Mitchell Marsh batted at no3 and made 74 while Matthew Wade missed out so I do not want to think about it!

Mitchell Starc on fire so he may also get a look in.

Of course they declare just before Carey is due to bat. Bit of a conspiracy as they don't want him to make runs so they don't get forced to dump Paine from the side.

To be honest I am not not sure what Carey is even doing in the side. He wasn't named as the reserve keeper in the Ashes squad and Matthew Wade, who was named as Paine's deputy, played in the match. At least it is a good sign that Langer is prepared to pick Carey in preference to Wade as a keeper and hopefully is a sign of things to come.

If Alex Carey had made runs it would probably have told Langer and Hohns what they should already know, that is Carey is a much better batsman than Tim Paine. The only thing that keeps Paine in the side is the lack of an alternative Captain. If Travis Head had another dozen Tests under his belt he might be a temporary stand in until Smith is allowed to resume. If Head can do well in the remaining Tests that may still be an option, albeit not without risk, for next summer.

Yes, the Ashes itinerary is bullshit these days. An internal game against Australia A and a game against County 2 scrubbers between Tests and that is about it. On several occasions between the Wars Don Bradman amassed 1,000 runs before the end of May. Then on to the First Test which normally started first week in June. In 1930 Australia actually played nine matches prior to the First Test at Trent Bridge.

It isn't just the Aussies in England though, the Poms get precious little lead in when they tour Australia these days.

I guess the longer the team stays in England the more it cuts into Cricket Australia's financial return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget Cosgrove, Fat Cat Ritchie and other "big" cricketers - there is a new hero - Rahkeem Cornwall made his debut for the Windies this morning. 195cm, 140+kgs.

The way he's bowling, he could do a Jim Laker and take 19 for the match. Pat Cummins is very good, but I reckon this bloke is right up there with him.
Bumrah is why India finally won a series in Oz.

Since Bodyline series, maybe before that, but I'm rusty with pre those days, a touring side has only won a series in Oz when they have had a world class strike fast bowler or group of fast bowlers providing constant pressure. Against the poms only lost 6 home series - Bodyline series Larwood, Typhoon Tyson in 1954-55, John Snow in 1970-71, inn 1978-79 Oz was weakened by WSC but poms had Willis and Botham, 1986-87 had 4, Small, Botham DeFratis and Dilley and 2010-11 Anderson, Finn and a couple of others. The Windies several series, Hadlee for NZ in 1985-86, South Africa with Steyn, Morkel, Ntini and co and now India.

They never had a strike bowler to win a series in Oz despite great batting depth. Sharma and Sharmi gave great support.

It will be interesting to see which way Langer and co go with the batting order in the Fourth Test.

We know Smith has to come in but who makes way for him? Will the selectors try Usman as an opener, which is where he played against Derby, or will they perhaps drop Wade, move Labuschagne up to 6 then slot Smith into no 4 where he has been most effective? Matthew Wade has struggled a bit since his hundred in the first Test and he missed out against Derby so he has to be a candidate for the drop.

The out of form player in the series has been David Warner but I cannot see Langer dropping him after his 61 in the third Test. I was surprised that Warner did not play against Derby to give him the chance to play himself into some sort of form.

Latest news is that Marcus Harris has a viral infection and has been quarantined from the rest of the squad. If Harris is not fit it may may the selectors task easier.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see which way Langer and co go with the batting order in the Fourth Test.

We know Smith has to come in but who makes way for him? Will the selectors try Usman as an opener, which is where he played against Derby, or will they perhaps drop Wade, move Labuschagne up to 6 then slot Smith into no 4 where he has been most effective? Matthew Wade has struggled a bit since his hundred in the first Test and he missed out against Derby so he has to be a candidate for the drop.

The out of form player in the series has been David Warner but I cannot see Langer dropping him after his 61 in the third Test. I was surprised that Warner did not play against Derby to give him the chance to play himself into some sort of form.

Latest news is that Marcus Harris has a viral infection and has been quarantined from the rest of the squad. If Harris is not fit it may may the selectors task easier.

I saw Trevor Hohns the other day saying that Mitch Marsh was in contention :openmouth:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back