Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a team in Freo would be interesting, I certainly believe game-day in and around Fremantle Oval in the town would be a great experience. However, like Port Adelaide, Fremantle is a part of the Perth Metro area, so I can imagine that both markets would be divided, rather than expanded.

I'm thinking one of the places I would look into is Northern Tasmania. I know it's not hugely populated, but I reckon a study into how many people up there come down to support the Hobart Hurricanes would be worthwhile. Unlike Fremantle and Perth, North Tasmania is a distinct region away from Hobart, if there isn't that many Hurricanes fans in the north, then it could be a legitimate expansion area, with the bulk of their games at York Park and the odd fixture in Devonport. I would only go there however, if it really did open up a new area, rather than dividing the Hurricanes' current support.

Certainly a draft or rescheduling of other formats of the game to allow more player depth would have to be a serious consideration.

Having a team in Freo would be interesting, I certainly believe game-day in and around Fremantle Oval in the town would be a great experience. However, like Port Adelaide, Fremantle is a part of the Perth Metro area, so I can imagine that both markets would be divided, rather than expanded.

I'm thinking one of the places I would look into is Northern Tasmania. I know it's not hugely populated, but I reckon a study into how many people up there come down to support the Hobart Hurricanes would be worthwhile. Unlike Fremantle and Perth, North Tasmania is a distinct region away from Hobart, if there isn't that many Hurricanes fans in the north, then it could be a legitimate expansion area, with the bulk of their games at York Park and the odd fixture in Devonport. I would only go there however, if it really did open up a new area, rather than dividing the Hurricanes' current support.
Yes! I think people don't really understand the concept of expansion, if you're not really expanding the league at all. It's not like people from Port don't consider themselves as part of Adelaide and I'd assume that it would be the same with Freo. Canberra & Gold Coast are the only two are obvious to me with Geelong being a maybe.

I suppose the other major concern would be money, how much all-round revenue could they generate? If they can get an average of 15-16k at Launceston without the Hurricanes attendances dropping, it could be worth it.

I think that's a bit of damn cheek from Vettori there. New Zealand have been badgering Australia to create our own domestic rugby union competition for years, saying it's not their business to help the game in this country, despite Australia including them in so many other sports. (One only has to look at the correlation between the new consistency in the New Zealand rugby league team since the inclusion of the Warriors and Auckland in the ARL system to see the benefits.) New Zealand are an established test nation and have made the World Cup semi-finals seven times, I think the Kiwis should be left to their own devices on this one, especially considering that they would probably field a national strength team and doctor their home pitches; while bringing only average attendances and not much of a ratings boost (New Zealand already has strong BBL TV ratings) with their smallish population. It is now their chance to set up a strong domestic competition of their own, even if it only has four or five teams.

In the long-term, I would gauge the viability of Hong Kong's national team for it's competitiveness and whether logistically they could contribute to the competition in attendance and finance in a mutually beneficial relationship. Also, I find the idea of aligning with South Africa in a "tri-nations league" set-up an odd choice too. Unlike rugby, we have a closer neighbour, Sri Lanka, who could certainly field teams from Galle, Colombo, and Kandy (at the very least.) I might question the finances, but certainly not the attendances, nor the quality of their teams. I would think that Sri Lankan teams in the BBL would be a more unique and differentiated option than them playing in the IPL. Despite South Africa having a larger overall population, Sri Lanka also brings a larger population in it's actual cricket-loving demographic. However, given the daily nature of the Big Bash fixtures, the flights back and forth to Hong Kong and Sri Lanka could be a severe logistical problem.

My first choice in the short term, would be to invite a non-test nation with a solid supporter base to participate. I would invite the Irish national team for one full season. If their schedule was done correctly, it would be like going on a Lions tour for their supporters.

Last edited:
Yeah it surely has to be Canberra and the Gold Coast. You have ready made stadiums to go and you don't risk the dilution of markets in Adelaide or Perth.

It worked well for Melbourne and Sydney because both teams came along at the same time. Are you going to get many from Perth not supporting the Scorchers anymore? I don't think so.

Yeah it surely has to be Canberra and the Gold Coast. You have ready made stadiums to go and you don't risk the dilution of markets in Adelaide or Perth.

It worked well for Melbourne and Sydney because both teams came along at the same time. Are you going to get many from Perth not supporting the Scorchers anymore? I don't think so.
If you were to create a second team in Perth, it would have the same or similar effect as the Heart did in the A-League

I think that's a bit of damn cheek from Vettori there. New Zealand have been badgering Australia to create our own domestic rugby union competition for years, saying it's not their business to help the game in this country, despite Australia including them in so many other sports. (One only has to look at the correlation between the new consistency in the New Zealand rugby league team since the inclusion of the Warriors and Auckland in the ARL system to see the benefits.) New Zealand are an established test nation and have made the World Cup semi-finals seven times, I think the Kiwis should be left to their own devices on this one, especially considering that they would probably field a national strength team and doctor their home pitches; while bringing only average attendances and not much of a ratings boost (New Zealand already has strong BBL TV ratings) with their smallish population. It is now their chance to set up a strong domestic competition of their own, even if it only has four or five teams.

In the long-term, I would gauge the viability of Hong Kong's national team for it's competitiveness and whether logistically they could contribute to the competition in attendance and finance in a mutually beneficial relationship. Also, I find the idea of aligning with South Africa in a "tri-nations league" set-up an odd choice too. Unlike rugby, we have a closer neighbour, Sri Lanka, who could certainly field teams from Galle, Colombo, and Kandy (at the very least.) I might question the finances, but certainly not the attendances, nor the quality of their teams. I would think that Sri Lankan teams in the BBL would be a more unique and differentiated option than them playing in the IPL. Despite South Africa having a larger overall population, Sri Lanka also brings a larger population in it's actual cricket-loving demographic. However, given the daily nature of the Big Bash fixtures, the flights back and forth to Hong Kong and Sri Lanka could be a severe logistical problem.

My first choice in the short term, would be to invite a non-test nation with a solid supporter base to participate. I would invite the Irish national team for one full season. If their schedule was done correctly, it would be like going on a Lions tour for their supporters.
There's a lot of Sri Lankan here(especially in Melbourne) that would go to each game. But it will never happen. NZ is the only team I'm open to. Singapore is another location that could be looked at in 30+ years time.

This would be fantastic, or even having a kind of 'all stars' team for associate players could be interesting as well.

There's a lot of Sri Lankan here(especially in Melbourne) that would go to each game. But it will never happen. NZ is the only team I'm open to. Singapore is another location that could be looked at in 30+ years time.
Singapore is not a location to consider for cricket. It didn't work for the basketball. Plus, you have to consider travel time and expenses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Singapore to Perth is 5h 15m. Singapore to Melbourne is 7h 25m. Plus Singapore isn't a cricket nation and I doubt you could get a squad of 11+ Australians to move there.

I've been thinking that the comps in the area (perhaps Australia, New Zealand and India) should have a "champions of champions" match once a year where the grand finalists of that year play off against each other.

The only negative I can think of is that some players would be potentially playing for multiple teams

I've been thinking that the comps in the area (perhaps Australia, New Zealand and India) should have a "champions of champions" match once a year where the grand finalists of that year play off against each other.

The only negative I can think of is that some players would be potentially playing for multiple teams
Wasn't that the aim with the defunct champions league? The rules were should a player be a part of more than one qualified team, he can play for his "home" team (the team from the country he is eligible to represent in international cricket) without consequence. If he plays for any other team, that team must pay the home team a compensation fee.

A New Zealand team could also be on the cards. I've heard it has been really popular over there.

Edit: I just read akkaps article he linked saying the exact same thing... whoops

Wasn't that the aim with the defunct champions league? The rules were should a player be a part of more than one qualified team, he can play for his "home" team (the team from the country he is eligible to represent in international cricket) without consequence. If he plays for any other team, that team must pay the home team a compensation fee.
To be completely honest, I've no idea. I didn't follow the cricket too much before the BBL other than the occasional test match every now and then. But that'd be the perfect way to solve that issue I think.

To be completely honest, I've no idea. I didn't follow the cricket too much before the BBL other than the occasional test match every now and then. But that'd be the perfect way to solve that issue I think.
Irony is that it was scrapped due to poor viewership, lack of audience interest and unstable sponsorships.

Irony is that it was scrapped due to poor viewership, lack of audience interest and unstable sponsorships.
It was defunct before the BBL really took off though. I certainly think that if the league's organised it and got the matches after each season on Channel 10 over here people would watch.

It was defunct before the BBL really took off though. I certainly think that if the league's organised it and got the matches after each season on Channel 10 over here people would watch.
It's not about just us though. Crowds were poor because they were played in India. If they were to move the games around that would be beneficial but time consuming. The matches were broadcast to 22 countries so that wasn't a problem but no one was interested. Also the tournament was seen as representing different leagues unequally, with the champions of domestic T20 leagues in Sri Lanka, New Zealand or Pakistan forced to go through a qualifying round while even the second-best sides in India, Australia and South Africa gained automatic entry into the main tournament. The India-centric nature of the event was often exaggerated by players choosing to represent their IPL franchises ahead of their domestic T20 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back