Toast Cripps (VC), Saad, Charlie named in the 2022 AA side!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think any of our players deserve to be in the final AA team. We missed the finals, and ultimately when the season was there for the taking they came up short - all of the named players had their role in that as well.

Better they go into the offseason with a chip on their shoulder and are forced to focus on what might have been than they receive individual accolades after falling short when it mattered imo. All had good seasons, and arguably Docherty too... not good enough though.
So does that mean no players outside of the top 8 sides should be named AA?
One of the dumbest posts I've read here..

Rozee had a career best season, especially in the 2nd half of the season, despite Port's sluggish form.

He fully deserved his spot on the bench.

I know they don't tell the full story but did a quick comparison of stats and both Laird and Walsh were much better than Rozee this year. The only area he was better was goal scoring which makes sense considering where he plays

So does that mean no players outside of the top 8 sides should be named AA?
One of the dumbest posts I've read here..
Your reading comprehension must be poor because that isn't what I said at all.

I think our specific players don't deserve to be in the AA team because they choked away the season and individually failed on the biggest stage

Saad pretty lucky tbh, I honestly thought Doc would get it ahead of him. Shocked he didn't even make the extended squad.
Saad took his spot imo. Doc had a pretty ordinary last 6-8 weeks when playing in the backline, not AA standard.

They would have loved to have him in the squad team for the 'story' and headline alone so tells you how far he dropped off

Saad took his spot imo. Doc had a pretty ordinary last 6-8 weeks when playing in the backline, not AA standard.

They would have loved to have him in the squad team for the 'story' and headline alone so tells you how far he dropped off

I can't say I agree, Doc was rock solid all year. His numbers didn't drop at all in the last 6 weeks and the rest is all 'feels like' sort of stuff.

Not to say Saad is undeserving, he obviously offers some things Doc doesn't. On the weight of the season though, I have a hard time thinking Saad was better....

I can't say I agree, Doc was rock solid all year. His numbers didn't drop at all in the last 6 weeks and the rest is all 'feels like' sort of stuff.

Not to say Saad is undeserving, he obviously offers some things Doc doesn't. On the weight of the season though, I have a hard time thinking Saad was better....

Love Doc with all my heart,, but Saad was more consistent all season, defintley should finish top 3 in our B and F.

I think our specific players don't deserve to be in the AA team because they choked away the season and individually failed on the biggest stage

Sorry, but I still think that's poor logic. Just because a guy has a quiet week or two, it disqualifies him for an award looking at their performance over the year?

But even if we wanted to go down that (silly IMO) path and say the last fortnight counts for much more, I'm still not sure your argument stacks up...

On the weekend....

Cripps had 35 touches, 27 contested possessions (his personal best AND TOP 10 ALL TIME!!!!), 12 clearances and almost single-handedly brought us back into the game in Q3. Against Melb he had 26 touches, 12 tackles and 10 clearances. AFLCA BOG against Coll and also polled against Melb. If Dale Kerrigan was here, he'd say 'I don't know what the opposite of choke is. But whatever it is, that's what you've done Crippa'....

Saad had a solid game against Coll; 21 touches albeit not a lot metres gained and Collingwood's small fwds kicked a bunch of goals. Solid against Melb; 22 touches, 7 R50s, 5 tackles 3 1%ers. I need to check this, but I think he polled in the most Carlton losses after Cripps and maybe Docherty. The opposite of a downhill skier.

Charlie actually had high output games the last two weeks, but obviously he kicked for goal VERY poorly. You could argue that his kicking cost us a finals birth, but 1) are we really going to argue that if he converts a single shot from a behind to a goal and we make finals, that completely redefines his entire season? 2) He kicked 64.42 (great conversion) over the year 3) He is one of the main reasons we were even in finals contention in the first place.

Note: Docherty polled 7 votes and 5 votes in the losses to Melb and Coll. Does that make him a spud because we lost two important matches?

Just like it's silly to think a player is a champion because he won a premiership, it's ridiculous to downplay players because their team didn't win or make finals.

Last edited:

My comprehension is fine.
What you are suggesting in your post is stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee got in ahead of Walsh…Cornes will be fornicating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good on Rozee for making it. Can’t imagine the undue pressure he was feeling cause of that muppet Cornes, Ports fans were baying his blood at the start of the season.

They can both be great players and there should be no issue with that.

Again, the stats don't back that up....

The amount of times Doc burnt the ball or made poor disposal decisions is not properly reflected on the stats but was patently clear in the last couple months of the season. As with Weitering post injury, both went down hill in the tail end.

The amount of times Doc burnt the ball or made poor disposal decisions is not properly reflected on the stats but was patently clear in the last couple months of the season. As with Weitering post injury, both went down hill in the tail end.

Looks like I'm the minority so will just agree to disagree.

Fa7Ev4xacAEqIkP

No one asked for it, but here's my personal AA side...

Stewart, May, Sicily
Sinclair, Taylor, Docherty

McCluggage, Oliver, Walsh
Witts, Neale, Laird

Bolton, Curnow, Cameron
Heeney, Lynch, Stengle

Saad, Miller, Cripps, Gawn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back