Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

One of his clearences in the last qrt was just unbelievable to watch. Just charged like a bull , roved the ruck tap, one grab and then a quick dish off to gibbs whilst falling forward.
Crippa when he gets playing with genuine anger and intent like that last quarter is something to behold.

As he matures and gets more used to the attention he receives (and hopefully less injured, because he definitely hasn't been motoring as well), gets stronger and ever more used to that body of his that shot up in centimeters so quickly, he's going to make opposition teams crap themselves. Mark my words.

Crippa when he gets playing with genuine anger and intent like that last quarter is something to behold.

As he matures and gets more used to the attention he receives (and hopefully less injured, because he definitely hasn't been motoring as well), gets stronger and ever more used to that body of his that shot up in centimeters so quickly, he's going to make opposition teams crap themselves. Mark my words.

This.

Did you see Him destroy Priddis at that clearance during the final term? Crippa made him look like he's made of paper when in reality the bloke is built like a proverbial outhouse.

Second year player. U wot m8

That's one thing I'd like to see more from Cripps. Real aggressive football more consistently. Obviously he's still a contested beast, but when he get's genuinely fired up as was stated just before... he's truly something else. If he could do that consistently there isn't a play in the comp who can stop him.

I prefer Cripps,Bont in our team would he be that good ,I doubt it.Cripps in Doggies team would be better as he has more help.

I'm calling bulldust on the Bont being a better overall player than Cripps, simply due to the Bont rarely being tagged, of course a player of his calibre will get off the leash when he is given room to move. actually cannot remember Bonti being sat on in the same fashion as opposition sides do Cripps.

Just quietly I have also seen Cripps break and then embarrass his tagger eg. Bernie Vince late last year

The Bont is currently on track to be the best player in the league in 18 months time or so, i don't see how any fair minded footy fan could honestly say Cripps is better than him (with the greatest respect to Paddy who i revere)

The Bont is currently on track to be the best player in the league in 18 months time or so, i don't see how any fair minded footy fan could honestly say Cripps is better than him (with the greatest respect to Paddy who i revere)

Ssshhhhhhh!
Can the bont go third man up in the ruck and hit it straight to opposition players like our boy cripps though?

I think not :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonts is a bit like Mitchell they will shine if no one tags them.

How will Bonts go under the spotlight of finals footy when its a more contested one vs one game style.

Bonts is a bit like Mitchell they will shine if no one tags them.

How will Bonts go under the spotlight of finals footy when its a more contested one vs one game style.

24 disposals (half of them contested), five inside 50s and seven clearances in his only final to date. Was our best player in that game.

Cripps only dreams about getting the midfield chop out that Bonts enjoys, yet he is still a clearance beast.

Being able to get his own footy against the oppositions best option each week puts Cripps ahead in my opinion.

Wouldn't mind having both in the one side.

Pffft, we were saying the same thing about Cripps earlier this year too. Both are completely different players. Both have the ability to impact games immensely. Bontompelli clearly has more support around him.

Putting age and draft year aside, these are two very different styled players which makes it an odd comparison.

Bontempelli has more runs on the board currently due to playing in a stronger team and having been exposed to more senior action. He has played virtually a full season more than Cripps (as Cripps missed most of the first year) meaning he's had more continuity to his game and more chance to impress. He is largely a silky player who hits the scoreboard and impacts games without being a contested ball beast. Although he is more than adept at that as well.

Cripps has played 38 games. Has there ever been a player come in and dominate contested ball the way he does at this age and with this few games under his belt? I think not. He is genuinely elite in this category already as he absolutely dominates contested ball but needs to work on his outside running ability and conversion rate when pushing forward. Often pushes forward and takes marks but let's himself down with goal kicking. Seems to be carrying some kind of injury at the moment which has slowed him down a yard or two and is not allowing him to hit as many targets by hand.

Both are fantastic prospects who should turn out to be stars of the game. For what it's worth, I would choose an inside beast over an icing on the cake type guy every day of the week when hand-picking a team. Cripps strikes me as a player perfect for finals footy. Picture this.. scores are tied in a grand final with only a few minutes to go. Who do you bank on ripping the ball out of a pack, getting there hands high and hand balling to a teammates advantage, setting them up in space to drive the ball into the 50?

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me intruding. Obviously they're both great players. We're all lucky to have one of them, because most teams don't have anything like these two. I'm not going to say one is better than the other- I'm quite biased because I've seen a lot more of Bont than I've seen of Cripps. However, I am going to correct a few misconceptions about Bont, given I've probably seen more of him than most of you.
He is largely a silky player who hits the scoreboard and impacts games without being a contested ball beast.
Bont is a contested ball beast. I think there was an article in the herald sun earlier in the year that said he won the third largest percentage of contested situations he was involved in (only behind Ablett and Martin at the time).
I'm calling bulldust on the Bont being a better overall player than Cripps, simply due to the Bont rarely being tagged, of course a player of his calibre will get off the leash when he is given room to move. actually cannot remember Bonti being sat on in the same fashion as opposition sides do Cripps.

Just quietly I have also seen Cripps break and then embarrass his tagger eg. Bernie Vince late last year
Bont is tagged regularly, and also regularly embarrasses his tagger.
Has there ever been a player come in and dominate contested ball the way he does at this age and with this few games under his belt? I think not.
At the same age, Tom Liberatore led the league for average clearances and was third for average contested possessions in 2013- pretty similar to Cripps this year. Libba started that year with 33 games to his name, so only 10 more than Cripps.
Cripps only dreams about getting the midfield chop out that Bonts enjoys, yet he is still a clearance beast.
I would've thought that getting less of a midfield chop out helps Cripps to get more clearances, because he is present at far more stoppages. Bont can't win the centre clearance when he is playing forward. This was what allowed Liberatore to be the best clearance player in the league in 2013. He was at the vast majority of stoppages, so he had more clearances. In our current team, he gets a lot less clearances because he gets a chop out.
Picture this.. scores are tied in a grand final with only a few minutes to go. Who do you bank on ripping the ball out of a pack, getting there hands high and hand balling to a teammates advantage, setting them up in space to drive the ball into the 50?
It's no grand final, but if you're looking for late in a close game, do you mean kind of like number 5 in this video?

Like Cripps, winning the contested ball, getting the hands clear and firing out an advantageous handball is one of Bont's major strengths.

Four of our last five wins have been by less than two goals. Bont has been heavily involved in all four of the winning goals (kicked one goal, two goal assists and equalised a 1v2 contest to allow us to win the ball and kick the goal). This guy is seriously clutch, so I'd love him late in a grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back