Crowds in Sydney and Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think the crowds will be pretty decent, whilst the games are dead rubbers we still get good crowds for friendlies which essentially are the same deal.

The Australia vs. Japan game in Melbourne will be massive, I think that one would be close to a sell out, even at the M.C.G.

Besides, I think regardless of whether or not it meant anything to us qualifying, most people would want to see us beat Japan... again. Just to rubber stamp our title as the number one ranked Asian team.

I bought my ticket for the Sydney game months ago. But now the game's a dead rubber, I doubt they'll sell many more.

I'm guessing it will come down to how many tickets were bought before the Qatar game.

50-60,000 for the Japan game I would expect anything less would be disappointing.

I was reading that picking up a 2nd yellow in the Japan game means that you're suspended for the first World Cup game, is that right? If it is, I don't think we should be playing anyone on a yellow against Japan. Apparently it was the reason Neill wanted to pick up a yellow, rather than wanting to play in the Japan game.

Coyne, Bresciano, Chipperfield, Carney and Holman are on yellows. Emerton, Moore and Valeri are also on yellows, but not part of the squad.

i read somewhere a while back 53k had been pre sold for the japan game, think it may have been the victory forum..so take that with a grain of salt

I was reading that picking up a 2nd yellow in the Japan game means that you're suspended for the first World Cup game, is that right? If it is, I don't think we should be playing anyone on a yellow against Japan. Apparently it was the reason Neill wanted to pick up a yellow, rather than wanting to play in the Japan game.

Coyne, Bresciano, Chipperfield, Carney and Holman are on yellows. Emerton, Moore and Valeri are also on yellows, but not part of the squad.
Well let's hope Holman gets a yellow in the Japan game then.....

I heard on the radio this morning that 40,000 have been sold for tonight's game. Depends what sort of walk-up we get tonight; I'm thinking the crowd will be in the high 40s.

Doubt Melbournes will be huge.

1. It's on a weeknight
2. It's at the MCG, great AFL venue but who wants to sit behind the goals on LV 4 row v?
3. It's a dead rubber
4. Some people won't like the cold weather :eek:

Be around 70k imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt Melbournes will be huge.

1. It's on a weeknight
2. It's at the MCG, great AFL venue but who wants to sit behind the goals on LV 4 row v?
3. It's a dead rubber
4. Some people won't like the cold weather :eek:

Be around 70k imo

Haha... just shows the huge differences between Melbourne and Sydney.

Absolutely useless Sydney... absolutely useless. :rolleyes:

Even though I've been in Sydney for many years, Sydney crowds still baffle me sometimes. 80,000 came to see David Beckham, but less than half that come to see our own players, who are better than Beckham, playing for a team we actually care about in a meaningful tournament.
Even the figure that they did put up looked fudged. They didn't open the top level on either side, and there were plenty of empty seats all around level 1. Before they put the crowd number up on the scoreboard, I'd estimated it to be a similar crowd to the Swans v Hawthorn game in April, which was about 34,000.

Buggered if I know why the crowd was so low. It was cold, but not all that cold and it wasn't raining.
Not that those who stayed away missed anything - the game never reached any great heights, and the atmosphere was flat.

Even though I've been in Sydney for many years, Sydney crowds still baffle me sometimes. 80,000 came to see David Beckham, but less than half that come to see our own players, who are better than Beckham, playing for a team we actually care about in a meaningful tournament.
Even the figure that they did put up looked fudged. They didn't open the top level on either side, and there were plenty of empty seats all around level 1. Before they put the crowd number up on the scoreboard, I'd estimated it to be a similar crowd to the Swans v Hawthorn game in April, which was about 34,000.

Buggered if I know why the crowd was so low. It was cold, but not all that cold and it wasn't raining.
Not that those who stayed away missed anything - the game never reached any great heights, and the atmosphere was flat.

Superficial thats why. Rather sip a latte and check out some nancy boys new hairstyle than support their own country. ;)

Simon Hill last night noted over 70,000 tickets have been sold for the MCG game so should be a good atmosphere

wow a great effort
no doubt they will have sold tickets in a similar manner to the argentina game last year..half the top deck of the olympic stand will be empty..theyll cram everyone into the southern stand

will also be around 10000 japanese fans there too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back