News Crows FIXture 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the Collingwood game is also winnable
So do I.
If we start like we did in R1 against Geelong last season and maintain the rage we can bounce outta the blocks.
I watched that game last night and the tackling intensity and referred pressure was a joy to behold.

Here we go again...another trip to that Hobart s**t-hole that we always manage to lose at. Can the AFL please dump these sub-standard grounds, or permanently relocate North there as the Tassie team, and then upgrade the bloody facility to an AFL standard ground!
After winning in Ballarat maybe we've exorcised that minor venue demon

Bye then 2 away from home. Thanks AFL.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You do realise that the locations & home vs away were decided ages ago? It's just the time slots which are being announced now, so that the "best" games can be given the prime TV slots.

Here we go again...another trip to that Hobart s**t-hole that we always manage to lose at. Can the AFL please dump these sub-standard grounds, or permanently relocate North there as the Tassie team, and then upgrade the bloody facility to an AFL standard ground!

Since when has Blundstone not been up to standard?

Great surface, good size.

Adelaide oval - 167 x 124
MCG - 171 x 146
Marvel - 169.5 x 140
Geelong - 170 x 115
Blundstone - 175 x 135 <EDIT - was 133.5>

Last edited:
You do realise that the locations & home vs away were decided ages ago? It's just the time slots which are being announced now, so that the "best" games can be given the prime TV slots.
It's no footy for a month at AO I'm pissed off about. I didn't know locations and home V away were announced earlier. I must pay more attention.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Since when has Blundstone not been up to standard?

Great surface, good size.

Adelaide oval - 167 x 124
MCG - 171 x 146
Marvel - 169.5 x 140
Geelong - 170 x 115
Blundstone - 175 x 133.5
Moreso the bloody wind and weather conditions...much like Ballarat was...seems awful to play at. Crows need perfect conditions! :) BTW...where are you getting those ground sizes...MCG is def not 171m long, and I'm pretty sure Blundstone is much smaller (at least on the Foxsports listing I saw it is).

Last edited:
Moreso the bloody wind and weather conditions...much like Ballarat was...seems awful to play at. Crows need perfect conditions! :) BTW...where are you getting those ground sizes...MCG is def not 171m long, and I'm pretty sure Blundstone is much smaller (at least on the Foxsports listing I saw it is).

Um - it was really windy that one time we played like $@&!!? idiots under Sando. Not sure that makes it a bad place to play footy.

From The Venue – Blundstone Arena:

The dimensions of the playing surface are 175m x 135m – slightly longer but somewhat narrower than the MCG.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the ones i found
AFL Ground Dimensions

MCG 160 x 141

Etihad 159.5 x 128.8

Simonds 170 x 115

SCG 155.5 x 136

Spotless 164 x 127.5

Adelaide 167 x 123

Domain 175.6 x 122.4

Gabba 156 x 138

Metricon 160 x 134

Manuka 162.5 x 138.4

Aurora 165 x 135

Blundstone 175 x 135

TIO 175 x 135

TIO Traeger 168 x 132

Cazaly 172.5 x 149

These are the ones i found
AFL Ground Dimensions

MCG 160 x 141

Etihad 159.5 x 128.8

Simonds 170 x 115

SCG 155.5 x 136

Spotless 164 x 127.5

Adelaide 167 x 123

Domain 175.6 x 122.4

Gabba 156 x 138

Metricon 160 x 134

Manuka 162.5 x 138.4

Aurora 165 x 135

Blundstone 175 x 135

TIO 175 x 135

TIO Traeger 168 x 132

Cazaly 172.5 x 149
The list I saw was here: Blundstone Arena - 160m - 124m (maybe it's simply the boundaries coming in that reduces the size).
Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium playing surface to shrink as boundaries brought in for player safety

The other interesting thing to note is that there is in the order of 3 sq km surface area difference between the largest grounds and the smaller grounds. This would have a marked impact on teams playing on these grounds in terms of actually covering the ground. E.g MCG has about 2.5sq km larger surface area than Simonds stadium. Somewhat surprising the Cats play pretty well at the MCG then.

The list I saw was here: Blundstone Arena - 160m - 124m (maybe it's simply the boundaries coming in that reduces the size).
Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium playing surface to shrink as boundaries brought in for player safety

The other interesting thing to note is that there is in the order of 3 sq km surface area difference between the largest grounds and the smaller grounds. This would have a marked impact on teams playing on these grounds in terms of actually covering the ground. E.g MCG has about 2.5sq km larger surface area than Simonds stadium. Somewhat surprising the Cats play pretty well at the MCG then.
You might want to check your maths. None of the grounds are even 1 sq km in size.

1 sq km = 1000m x 1000m

The longest ground is 175.6m, and the widest is 149 sq m. By my maths, the largest ground used by the AFL is ~0.02 sq km in size.

Last edited:
A lot gets talked about the length of the SCG and you can see it with the arcs nearly touching the square, the Gabba according to those dimensions is only .5m longer?
The 50m arcs at the SCG used to intercept the centre square. I strongly suspect that the 50m arcs at the SCG are actually 45m out from goal.

OK, so I'm a pedant - get over it. I've done a bit of research into the SCG 50m arcs.

For a long time, they were at 45m, so as to not touch the centre square.

In 2004, the AFL forced them to mark it at 50m, resulting in the 50m arcs intersecting the centre square.
Source: 50 metre AFL arcs return to SCG

You can see the intersection in this youtube video, it's quite clearly shown at 00:29:

In 2012 they renovated the ground, making it 3m longer. Since then, the 50m arcs have (theoretically) been marked at 50m, and no longer intersect the centre square.

I'm still not sure I'd want to buy real estate from the groundsman marking them 50m arcs at the SCG.

OK, so I'm a pedant - get over it. I've done a bit of research into the SCG 50m arcs.

For a long time, they were at 45m, so as to not touch the centre square.

In 2004, the AFL forced them to mark it at 50m, resulting in the 50m arcs intersecting the centre square.
Source: 50 metre AFL arcs return to SCG

You can see the intersection in this youtube video, it's quite clearly shown at 00:29:

In 2012 they renovated the ground, making it 3m longer. Since then, the 50m arcs have (theoretically) been marked at 50m, and no longer intersect the centre square.

I'm still not sure I'd want to buy real estate from the groundsman marking them 50m arcs at the SCG.

Using Google Earth - it's 166m fence to fence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back