Dallas Mavericks thread: Luka MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems like the kinda guy that would.
Yeah true.

An underreported story about the Mavs last 15 years is how little all star talent Dirk has played with.

He's played with 3 all stars. Nash, Josh Howard and Jason Kidd.

Both Howard and Kidd came in as subs in the ASG aswell.

There is an argument that Jason Terry has been the 2nd best player he's played with (I'd argue it was Tyson Chandler, but that was for one year).

Garnett's had Pierce and Allen.

Kobe's had Shaq, Gasol, Dwight etc.

Duncan's had Parker and Ginobili.

Yeah true.

An underreported story about the Mavs last 15 years is how little all star talent Dirk has played with.

There is an argument that Jason Terry has been the 2nd best player he's played with (I'd argue it was Tyson Chandler, but that was for one year).

You're being very unkind to Shawn Marion and Stojakovic. Although both were past their prime.

Yeah true.

Never looked at it that way makes it apprechiate Dirk even more if that was possible

Never looked at it that way makes it apprechiate Dirk even more if that was possible
Yeam same.

For whatever reason, the team was never able to put GREAT players around him. Only 4-5 very good ones. Actually Ill list them.

1. 2011 Tyson Chandler (11-10-1)
2. Jason Terry (topped out at 16-17ppg and not much else)
3. Early 2000s Steve Nash (A 14 and 7 point guard)
4. Shawn Marion (well pst his prime. 12-8 and good D)
5. Jason Kidd (10-8-5 and good D).

I'd wager that never has an MVP status player played with so few elite talents.

Its harsh to say but we wont become good again until Dirk leaves

We need to do what the Cavs did spend 3-5 years getting good picks and build a team and recruiting some good players in the process

Yeam same.

For whatever reason, the team was never able to put GREAT players around him. Only 4-5 very good ones. Actually Ill list them.

1. 2011 Tyson Chandler (11-10-1)
2. Jason Terry (topped out at 16-17ppg and not much else)
3. Early 2000s Steve Nash (A 14 and 7 point guard)
4. Shawn Marion (well pst his prime. 12-8 and good D)
5. Jason Kidd (10-8-5 and good D).

I'd wager that never has an MVP status player played with so few elite talents.

You wouldn't include Finley in that list?

I just remember that 'big 3' of the early 2000s. He was certainly paid like a top talent, forerunner to Joe Johnson.

He was the best talent you received in return for dispatching your star-crossed JJJ trio the furthest corners of the basketball universe.

Given his competition in that regard was Shawn Bradley and Sasha Danilovic, I guess that's not saying much.

You wouldn't include Finley in that list?

I just remember that 'big 3' of the early 2000s. He was certainly paid like a top talent, forerunner to Joe Johnson.

He was the best talent you received in return for dispatching your star-crossed JJJ trio the furthest corners of the basketball universe.

Given his competition in that regard was Shawn Bradley and Sasha Danilovic, I guess that's not saying much.
Yeah I can see why Finley would be in there. I excluded him as a memory fault. He's in that top 5 somewhere, even though his stats are inflated by the fast pace the team played.

The team really slowed from 2005 onwards.

Yeah I can see why Finley would be in there. I excluded him as a memory fault. He's in that top 5 somewhere, even though his stats are inflated by the fast pace the team played.

The team really slowed from 2005 onwards.

Also known as the Don Nelson effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is everyone's predicted line up for next year?
Feel free to add in someone you think we have a realistic chance of signing .
Calderon (32), Harris (16). Rookies to get garbage and injury minutes
Ellington (24), Carter (20), Harris (4)
Marion (30), Carter (8), Crowder (10)
Dirk (34), Brand ??? (14)
James (20), Wright??? (20), Dalembert??? (8)

The ones with question marks are guys we are rumoured to be in for.

That's a 32-35 win team.

Calderon (32), Harris (16). Rookies to get garbage and injury minutes
Ellington (24), Carter (20), Harris (4)
Marion (30), Carter (8), Crowder (10)
Dirk (34), Brand ??? (14)
James (20), Wright??? (20), Dalembert??? (8)

The ones with question marks are guys we are rumoured to be in for.

That's a 32-35 win team.

Interesting. I'd agree with most, but surely if we get dalembert he will play more than 8 mins. And I'd doubt James would play 20, is swap them two around and I think it's spot on.
Brand to get a few mins at centre too.

Interesting. I'd agree with most, but surely if we get dalembert he will play more than 8 mins. And I'd doubt James would play 20, is swap them two around and I think it's spot on.
Brand to get a few mins at centre too.
Yeah Id guess Dalembert would start if we got him.

I think James is potentially a very adequate defensive center. He showed more than Crowder last year.

Have you heard if we're getting Brand back?

Yeah Id guess Dalembert would start if we got him.

I think James is potentially a very adequate defensive center. He showed more than Crowder last year.

Have you heard if we're getting Brand back?

James just didn't get enough opportunity, but he is the exact player we need. Athletic, defensive and good rebounding centre. Just need to work on the other areas.

I'm confident we will brand will return, same with wright. I know New York were going after brand, but I don't think that will happen anymore.

[TyroneVickery29, post: 29097512, member: 142100"]Wright is one of my favorites, his offense improved so much last year, just doesn't rebound.
We need to get younger, otherwise our rebuild will be very very rough.[/quote]

Problem is we don't want to bottom out because of Dirk

I love him but we won't get better until he leaves the draft is the key

[TyroneVickery29, post: 29097512, member: 142100"]Wright is one of my favorites, his offense improved so much last year, just doesn't rebound.
We need to get younger, otherwise our rebuild will be very very rough.

Problem is we don't want to bottom out because of Dirk

I love him but we won't get better until he leaves the draft is the key[/quote]

Yeah, I just think we need to gradually give some young players minutes along side dirk. Which I think will happen next season.

Relying on the draft as a mavs fan is never good haha.

So Larkin breaks his ankle, contract to Devin Harris is rescinded, and Monte Ellis is signed.

This could push us to 40 wins and out of range of a good draft pick.

Cuban always said the worst place to be is a treadmill team, and that is exactly what we are. You arent going anywhere with a Calderon/Ellis backcourt and we have it locked in for 3-4 years

Devin Harris injured his knee before the contract.

Waiting to see what Monta can do at Dallas. Always thought because he;s a bit of an idiot and his speaking style off-court he's got a bad rap.

He's a very very good second option, cannot run an offense but if he is just told to slash and make hard cuts like he did when he first came in he's very damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back