Universal Love Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

It is ajoke as it seems every club has that player now as well.
If draft guru is correct, then for 2018, 8 sides have 40 players and not taking advantage of anything, 3 sides have 39 players so taking advantage of $80k and 7 sides only 38 players and taking advantage of $160k of exemptions.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018

I can’t let my buddy’s thread drop off the first page so here’s some Intercept Dan for you all to enjoy.

Haha look at Texas Tex The Big Texan Bigger Than Himself Texlah Walker getting absolutely no where near it! He doesn’t even put the dukes up coz he knows that his territory has been invaded, dominated and conquered once again by teenager Dan Houston.

99CB6EC2-EB71-4A8C-9B42-73D70E6F7A08.jpeg

Dan the man's one of my favourites. The weighting he puts on his kicks is elite. Dunno what draft pick he was but imo..... he's a star.
I cringe when he kicks, but as it’s travelling I realise it’s him and watch in awe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really underrated game on the weekend. Started off shaky but his kicking into the corridor in the third quarter was a huge part of kickstarting our comeback.

Last edited:
Not sure why some people have it in for Dan Houston this year? He has averaged 18 possessions per game and the great thing is his kick to handball ratio is around 3:1. Dan may have missed a few targets but at least he is trying to kick to a player downfield rather than give a 3 metre backward handball. Houston has only played 25 AFL games so he still has a bit to learn and some of our supporters need to show a bit of patience.

With Houston and Bonner we have a couple of long kicking ball getters the pity is we do not have a plan that maximises these talents and that is not their fault.

I wouldnt say he's missed a lot more targets this year. He's still going at 80% DE. I'd also say he's taking some more risks with his disposal this year too.

Not sure why some people have it in for Dan Houston this year? He has averaged 18 possessions per game and the great thing is his kick to handball ratio is around 3:1. Dan may have missed a few targets but at least he is trying to kick to a player downfield rather than give a 3 metre backward handball. Houston has only played 25 AFL games so he still has a bit to learn and some of our supporters need to show a bit of patience.

With Houston and Bonner we have a couple of long kicking ball getters the pity is we do not have a plan that maximises these talents and that is not their fault.
I'm not a hater, but he has regressed from last year. He very rarely takes a risky/damaging option with kicks but the difference is last year his safe kicks were safe as houses whereas this year he's missed some pretty easy kicks that have resulted in turnover goals.

I'm still not convinced if he's the best option long-term. He's good but not great defensively and probably only ok offensively and I'm not sure that's good enough. Perhaps he's copping a bit of heat in my mind due to the inconsistency of our rebounders - if Hammer were playing and Pittard/Bonner were more consistent his role in the team would be much more secure. But I still think he really needs to develop some weapons in his arsenal as I can't see how he steps up a gear when the heat is on.

I'm not a hater, but he has regressed from last year. He very rarely takes a risky/damaging option with kicks but the difference is last year his safe kicks were safe as houses whereas this year he's missed some pretty easy kicks that have resulted in turnover goals.

I'm still not convinced if he's the best option long-term. He's good but not great defensively and probably only ok offensively and I'm not sure that's good enough. Perhaps he's copping a bit of heat in my mind due to the inconsistency of our rebounders - if Hammer were playing and Pittard/Bonner were more consistent his role in the team would be much more secure. But I still think he really needs to develop some weapons in his arsenal as I can't see how he steps up a gear when the heat is on.
Talk about a player who has regressed....Pittard is high on that list.

He & Bonner have played some shockers. He’s certainly regressed from last year.

In five games this year Houston has had 5+ rebounds and 16+ disposals. Some of his games have been quieter than last year but he has not had too many "shockers" as you describe them. You are talking about a guy who is straight off our Rookie List with 25 games under his belt. Cut him a bit of slack and go after some of the 100 game players if you need to.

Missed a lot more targets by foot this year. Hopefully that starts to come good again as was the highlight of his game last year.

I think Bassett mentioned this in the insider day. Something along the lines of having a beautiful kick, but he had been missing some at training recently. lol.

The thing about him this year, he was more noticeable last year when he played. Was taking good marks and so on. This year he seems less influential despite getting similar of not better stats.

Watching the replay for umpteenth time ... commentator 3rd q ... Clurey comes again .. and again, and kicks to a pivotal one on one ...
You twit commentator ... it was Dan Houston .......:D:p
It's not the first time wrong Port player called .. get it right..:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back