Analysis Dangerfields drop in form

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Patrick's weight listed on the Cats website at 97 kilograms.
Has had foot related issues in recent times and this extra weight is surely going to impact his ability to run out matches.
Maybe he's bulking up to play permanently as a forward in the final years of his career.

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Patrick's weight listed on the Cats website at 97 kilograms.
Has had foot related issues in recent times and this extra weight is surely going to impact his ability to run out matches.
Maybe he's bulking up to play permanently as a forward in the final years of his career.

Think you’re reading too much into this one.

Paddy has played around the 95kg mark ever since he first became the Dangerfield we know and love.

It’s not the 80s anymore. Midfielders are tall, sizeable men. 90kg+ is a given for the modern day inside mid.

Petracca is listed at 97kg, seen Dusty listed at similar (before his kidney weight loss) even seen on Ports board that Wines is listed as 104kg. Paddy is right where he should be.

If anything his ability to run out matches and apparent loss of a yard or two has far more to do with his recent groin issues. He would’ve lost considerable power in his legs which is where he gets his acceleration. That needs to be rectified with a preseason far more than his weight.

Paddy has played around the 95kg mark ever since he first became the Dangerfield we know and love.

It’s not the 80s anymore. Midfielders are tall, sizeable men. 90kg+ is a given for the modern day inside mid.

Petracca is listed at 97kg, seen Dusty listed at similar (before his kidney weight loss) even seen on Ports board that Wines is listed as 104kg. Paddy is right where he should be.

If anything his ability to run out matches and apparent loss of a yard or two has far more to do with his recent groin issues. He would’ve lost considerable power in his legs which is where he gets his acceleration. That needs to be rectified with a preseason far more than his weight.
There's nothing wrong with his weight on paper but it might make sense to try and shed a kg or two if the last couple of years injuries are building up on him

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

Dustin Martin is 92kg.
Petracca was already hitting the scales at 92kg on draft day.
Wines is 98kg and just won a brownlow medal running out games fairly comfortably at that weight.

I think Hawkins is a great example as he got too big and knew he needed to extend his career by losing weight (dropped about 6kg over the course of two preseasons). Has not had many injury setbacks and moves around better than he ever has.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Dustin Martin is 92kg.
Petracca was already hitting the scales at 92kg on draft day.
Wines is 98kg and just won a brownlow medal running out games fairly comfortably at that weight.

I think Hawkins is a great example as he got too big and knew he needed to extend his career by losing weight (dropped about 6kg over the course of two preseasons). Has not had many injury setbacks and moves around better than he ever has.
Hawkins does not move better then he ever has. He used to be a leaping contested mark beast. He was a high jumper in his youth. Hasn't got off the ground in 8 years since his back njury problems of 2013. Would of been a genuine superstar of the competition if not for those injuries instead of just the very good player he has become.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins does not move better then he ever has. He used to be a leaping contested mark beast. He was a high jumper in his youth. Hasn't got off the ground in 8 years since his back njury problems of 2013. Would of been a genuine superstar of the competition if not for those injuries instead of just the very good player he has become.

Hawkins does not have the leaping ability he once did but his running capacity is considerably better than what it was when he was 26 years of age. Has worked hard on that side of his game.

He’s better than very good.

Gotta say, that's an interesting line coming from you - especially considering the following which was posted back in August after the All Australian team was announced:

I remember 5 years ago when people used to call hawkins an average player who was not a top 5 foward in the comp and worse then Travis Cloke.

how wrong has he proved them. It’s just a pity he lost his leap due to his back injury in 2013. Cost him the peak of his career.

but even despite that he is now the second best foward of his generation.

SO,

- was the above you or just someone using your account?

- if the above was you, which description of Hawkins do you actually believe because there's a fair difference between "very good player" and "second best forward of his generation"?

- or do you simple just post contradictory opinions, either as a means of baiting others or so that you can reflect upon past efforts as being "correct" - this option just seems to be hedging ones bets

Gotta say, that's an interesting line coming from you - especially considering the following which was posted back in August after the All Australian team was announced:

SO,

- if the above was you, which description of Hawkins do you actually believe because there's a fair difference between "very good player" and "second best forward of his generation"?

- or do you simple just post contradictory opinions, either as a means of baiting others or so that you can reflect upon past efforts as being "correct" - this option just seems to be hedging ones bets
images (8).jpeg

Apply direct to site

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

SO,

Is there A fair difference? Who says so?

there has only been one superstar foward of the past dozen years. Franklin. Then a big gap to the next best Of which hawkins is arguably just in front of riewoldt and kennedy.

Hawkins, however, could of been at franklins level. A superstar. Instead he is back with the pack. Very good.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins does not have the leaping ability he once did but his running capacity is considerably better than what it was when he was 26 years of age. Has worked hard on that side of his game.
Possibly. His back problems kind of curtailed his running capacity so have to go back to 2012 before the back injury. He could move a bit when given the opportunity at centre half foward and ruck back then so not sure if this is quite correct either. I cant remember to comment definitively.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeds backtracking and talking in circles trying to find a way to "justify" his change of position on the same player - who'd have thunk it 🙄
Backtracking how exactly? i didnt change my view even slightly. To back track i have to change my view. Which i did not. You are basing a percieved inconsistency on your own interpretation of the vague word "very good" which is clearly different to mine in this context. This is ridiculousness.

Why do you even care? seriously why did you go dig up old posts to have a discussion on the meaning of the word "very good"?

have you ever posted outside the geelong forum? Maybe go actually defend the club on other boards and pick up actual interesting things to discuss instead of trying to pick silly semantic discussions with your fellow supporters from old posts.

When all they can respond with is lols and disagree emojis then they have conceeded with tails between their legs.

this is quite possibly the stupidest semantic discussion Ive ever been involved in. A difference of opinion on the meaning of the word "very good". F*** me.
They’re only opinions after all so no dramas here.

I recently posted in another thread that Mitch Duncan has been a very very good player for Geelong over a long period. He is not in the same league as Hawk when comparing careers. Hawkins is a generational talent and will be sorely missed soon. Not by you but plenty think he’s overrated which is mind blowing Coming from Cats’ fans.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

I recently posted in another thread that Mitch Duncan has been a very very good player for Geelong over a long period. He is not in the same league as Hawk when comparing careers. Hawkins is a generational talent and will be sorely missed soon. Not by you but plenty think he’s overrated which is mind blowing Coming from Cats’ fans.

I put my hand up here. I think he's been a superstar player but it's been finals which have put me off him these days. Always felt what he did in the 2011 final series was a taste of things to come. He was just so big and powerful that no one was going to stop him. When finals came around, he went into his shell somewhat and that has been a disappointment.
Understanding you cannot pin it to the forwards and they can only do so much if the ball is not coming out of the middle.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I put my hand up here. I think he's been a superstar player but it's been finals which have put me off him these days. Always felt what he did in the 2011 final series was a taste of things to come. He was just so big and powerful that no one was going to stop him. When finals came around, he went into his shell somewhat and that has been a disappointment.
Understanding you cannot pin it to the forwards and they can only do so much if the ball is not coming out of the middle.
His 2012 final was disapointing against freo. Was never the same player in a final aftwerwards. Never could leap over packs again.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

I think we all roughly have similar rankings of players. Its just our terms for it are different.

the superstars of this generation for me are franklin, martin, dangerfield and fyfe. That would be it.

hawkins in the next group behind that with a bit of a gap between the first and second group. But i think he had the potential to be in the top group before his injury problems curtailed his leap.

Last edited:
I think we all roughly have similar rankings of players. Its just our terms for it are different.

the superstars of this generation for me are franklin, martin, dangerfield and fyfe. That would be it.

hawkins in the next group behind that with a bit of a gap between the first and second group. But i think he had the potential to be in the top group before his injury problems curtailed his leap.
Selwood not a superstar in any Geelong fans mind makes me sad ☹

Last edited:

SO,

game...set match....

Go Catters

ps -

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Selwood not a superstar in any Geelong fans mind makes me sad ☹
Is he better then those 4?

selwoods more a pendlebury and simon black level. Regularly around 3-5 best player in the league for numerous years on end. Never in the top 2.

for me a superstar has to be a player who has taken the comp by storm and been the best player in the league at times. Selwood never quite reached that level.

Last edited:
Back