Daniel Ricciardo thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I had been meaning to do this after getting into a shitstorm about it after the French GP. happy eagle's post on the Hungarian GP thread about whether it was wirthwhile staying at RB reminded me to do so.

Personally, I reckon Ricciardo hasn't pulled his weight this year. He's made some blunders that have been costly. He's moved from being in the 3rd best car in the "top tier" to being the better of the "2nd tier" teams. Because of it, he has to change his style in how he goes about racing.

With RB being the 3rd best of the top teams, you get maximum value for being ultra aggressive, because you're not under threat from the 2nd tier teams. But in a Renault, there's not much to gain from trying hard/er and going for it. But there's a bit to lose because you're in a cluster of middle ranked teams.

Screenshot (295).png

With the middle/back end teams, your results are dictated by the adversity of those ahead. So overall results are not necessarily an indicator of how you're going. This is highlighted by Kyvat being the only guy from outside the top 3 to get a podium, and Kubica being ahead of Russell in the points, despite trailing 2-9 in the head to head with him.

But what the table shows is that Ricciardo hasn't picked up enough green squares, and that's on him. Sainz, Kyvat and Raikkonen are all considered to have had good seasons despite a 23pt discrepancy. Sainz and Raikkonen have 7 green square and Kyvat 5 with a podium. Ricciardo has 4.

But it didn't have to be 4. Ricciardo flopped at Australia, Azerbaijan and France. These missed opportunities are not Renault's fault. There were points paying positions available at all those races, which would've brought him up to the 7 green squares which would be comparable to having a good season like the other drivers. Both Sainz and Raikkonen have blocks of 3 & 4 consecutive points finishes. That's very good and that's the crap Ricciardo should be focussing on.

Outside the top teams, Ricciardo's 4th qualifying and 6th in the race at Canada is the single best performance. But it gets lost in amongst the howlers in Australia, Azerbaijan and France.

It's best he channels his inner "Frentzen 1999 season" to limit the possible damage to his reputation the inconsistent first half of the season could bring.

I personally don't think it matters how he drives because if Ferrari/Mercedez weren't going to pick him up last year they never will, he saw red bull favouring max and his chances for a world title going out the window there so this is it, Renault come good or he never wins another race. Out of interests sake what do you actually think he should do differently? If he doesn't go for those overtakes in Baku and France he finishes lower and gets less green squares, outside of the lap 1 blunder in australia he actually hasn't made an real mistakes the car just hasn't been quick enough.

If we use Hulkenburg as the benchmark Renault have gone backwards this year despite adding 200 full time staff members, if I was him i'd be enjoying my millions and walking away in a couple of years time.

Correct re: Ferrari and Merc never going to pick him up.
That door is closed as they both look at generational change for any upcoming seats.
And I do agree that he has not performed to his or Renault’s expectations. The question is why? Is it because the car is so bad that he can’t get anything out of it? Or is it because he just can’t get the best out of any car that isn’t a front Runner?
Time will tell. Will we be looking back in a decades time calling him the man who did for Renault what Schumacher did for Mercedes?

TBH, its gone exactly how I thought it would. Renault were never going to be near it this year, and I honestly dont believe they will be "fighting for wins in 2020-21" at all.

People that were comparing RIC's move to Renault with how HAM moved to MERC and expected RIC's move to have a similar outcome had rocks in their heads. For starters, MERC had actually at least won a race and were getting podiums etc before HAM made the giant call to move across. It obviously paid off in spades for HAM.

Renault need cars ahead of them to DNF for to even think about getting a top 6 finish and haven't looked near a podium since they were Lotus back in 2011-2012. I honestly can't see Renault improving much at all and not buying into their hype they will will somehow be super competitive with the new regulations.

At least RIC made bank, can't fault him for that!

. Out of interests sake what do you actually think he should do differently? If he doesn't go for those overtakes in Baku and France he finishes lower and gets less green squares, outside of the lap 1 blunder in australia he actually hasn't made an real mistakes the car just hasn't been quick enough.
Don't get caught up in the red mist. Just be that fraction bit conservative and let everyone else melt around him.

Going off Hulkenberg, he'd have conservatively finished 8th-10th in Australia, 8th in Azerbaijan, and 8th in France. That's 9-12pts with 3 extra finishes, and all of a sudden that's a solid body of work, continuing on from what was a pretty good record from 14.

Ricciardo, for however good he is, is not entitled to a drive in a top team. And he's doesn't have a vibe like what Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen have/had, where the sun shines out of their arse.

Ricciardo has made himself known as a top tier of F1 drivers, but he doesn't have much currency. I mean RB, for however big a deal they make their development program to be, didn't know he'd be as good as he was in 14.

Ricciardo is like a fringe test player who should be getting games, but isn't ahead of preferred options. He just has to keep scoring 100s and taking wickets. But he isn't doing that.

The mistakes in Azerbaijan and France weren't worth it. Those attempts may've been so for a win or podium, but not 7th.

You never know how the scene changes. Nobody thought Rosberg was going to retire for instance? Ricciardo has to make sure he's ready when/if an opportunity arrives and doesn't ruin his own reputation for no reason.

And I do agree that he has not performed to his or Renault’s expectations. The question is why? Is it because the car is so bad that he can’t get anything out of it? Or is it because he just can’t get the best out of any car that isn’t a front Runner?
Trying too hard in a car that can't do it.

Like trying to hit 6s with bats they used in the 30s, as opposed to the railway sleepers they use now. He should just be knocking it around picking up 1s and 2s and putting away the bad ball.

Idk about anybody else, but I first came to be aware of Ricciardo in racing magazines reporting on him racing European Formula Renault. My interest in the lower levels had decreased by then from a kid, so aside from him, I didn't care about anyone else. But as it turned out, Daniel got pipped to the 08 FR Eurocup by Valtteri Bottas.

........the next step of Ricciardo and McLaren’s parting of ways is for him to get rid of his own car for a reasonable price.

You could be the new owner of a McLaren supercar that currently belongs to Daniel Ricciardo - if you’ve got £217,450 going spare. Thats Aud$ 400+k

Wasn't Alonso selling one of his cars recently as well?

Maybe these guys have gotten the inside word that now is the time to offload these kinds of assets...

He’s back!!!

Posted about it in the other thread but so pleased for him that this worked out and so quickly.

He didn't want to drive a back marker and went to Red Bull to hopefully earn the right to drive one of the better cars again, start winning races and essentially change his legacy.

I think most had it as a very remote chance of ever happening. Yet here we are 10 races later with Perez struggling, de Vries very poor, great SIM and tyre test work from DR and now getting a drive in the sister team for the rest of the season, which has the possibility of being an audition for a seat back at Red Bull.

I think that's still an outside chance to be honest with a LOT needing to happen (both from a Perez and DR perspective)but it is now a possibility in a way that it didn't look it even a month ago. He's got a lot of work to do in a terrible AT car first but how exciting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted about it in the other thread but so pleased for him that this worked out and so quickly.

He didn't want to drive a back marker and went to Red Bull to hopefully earn the right to drive one of the better cars again, start winning races and essentially change his legacy.

I think most had it as a very remote chance of ever happening. Yet here we are 10 races later with Perez struggling, de Vries very poor, great SIM and tyre test work from DR and now getting a drive in the sister team for the rest of the season, which has the possibility of being an audition for a seat back at Red Bull.

I think that's still an outside chance to be honest with a LOT needing to happen (both from a Perez and DR perspective)but it is now a possibility in a way that it didn't look it even a month ago. He's got a lot of work to do in a terrible AT car first but how exciting!
Plenty to prove Daniel, good luck with Alpha Tauri & your team mate Yoki Tsunoda, who will benefit from your familiarity with Dr Marko, Christian Horner at Head Office.

I feel for Perez. Daniel would understand how difficult it is to challenge Max on the track.

Plenty to prove Daniel, good luck with Alpha Tauri & your team mate Yoki Tsunoda, who will benefit from your familiarity with Dr Marko, Christian Horner at Head Office.

I feel for Perez. Daniel would understand how difficult it is to challenge Max on the track.

I don't think Perez even is expected to (or needs to) genuinely compete (i.e. for the title) with Max.

It should be expected in the clear fastest car that he is making it into Q3 every race and getting on the podium nearly every race.

Also, Daniel scored more points than Max in 2 out of 3 seasons together (with extenuating circumstances effecting the 2nd half of the third - before which, Ricciardo was ahead).

Not that that means anything as Verstappen was a rookie learning the ropes and is a much better driver now and clearly better than Ricciardo (and basically everyone else).

i guess the chance to get behind the wheel overcame his reluctance to drive a car that wasn't competitive. good to see tho.

I don't think Perez even is expected to (or needs to) genuinely compete (i.e. for the title) with Max.

It should be expected in the clear fastest car that he is making it into Q3 every race and getting on the podium nearly every race.

Also, Daniel scored more points than Max in 2 out of 3 seasons together (with extenuating circumstances effecting the 2nd half of the third - before which, Ricciardo was ahead).

Not that that means anything as Verstappen was a rookie learning the ropes and is a much better driver now and clearly better than Ricciardo (and basically everyone else).

Perez wants to challenge Max. Think of Mark Webber, Seb Vettel & Red Bull. Its the reality of being at Red Bull.

Apparantly his tyre test times were so impressive, it would have placed him on the front row of sundays race.
I will be interesting to see what he can extract from the car in the worst performing team of the year so far.
2 aussies to follow now!
:D

i guess the chance to get behind the wheel overcame his reluctance to drive a car that wasn't competitive. good to see tho.

Bit different than say going to Haas because there's an actual path in doing so that gets him in the best car next season.

Bit different than say going to Haas because there's an actual path in doing so that gets him in the best car next season.
really didn't have much choice when horner asked him to do it. according to a report from horner he's been going well in testing. at danny ric's age i'm not sure moving him to the perez seat should perez go is all that prudent. might keep max happy tho.

bit of a larf from betoota.

really didn't have much choice when horner asked him to do it. according to a report from horner he's been going well in testing. at danny ric's age i'm not sure moving him to the perez seat should perez go is all that prudent. might keep max happy tho.

Max is number one regardless. DR gives them a decent number two who has huge PR appeal as the other guy, especially with move to US where's he probably the most popular driver.

Age?
Tell that to Mr Alonso.
And…. 4 years younger than Hamilton…..

This surely comes as no surprise in the cutthroat world of Formula 1, Ricciardo tested extremely well and proved he's still got it. Horner always knew that and has always been a big fan, he also has a very strong relationship with Max. Ricciardo is very popular in the USA and they race there two more times this year. Alpha Tauri is the sister team, but they don't get results, with a name change and move to Britain in 2024 on the cards, Ricciardo is the perfect choice to give the team a lift with 12 races to go in 2023. ( The car is slow, so nobody should be expecting too much) Perez hasn't been performing lately and this news will have him thinking about his own future? Perez is a good driver and is not qualifying well, it's okay making your way through the traffic in a race, but he should be starting alongside Max or at least on the 2nd row. Something's up. Red Bull is also not going to put a rookie in one of their cars, Perez is still there for the remainder of this season, but if Danny Boy gets a couple of top 10 results he might get a two year deal in the main car and Sergio might end up at the new Alpha Tauri? Whatever happens, the marketing team will be happy, Ricciardo is marketing gold in F1. It's risky, because if Tsunoda out performs him, Dan the Man will be finished!