F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The no race wins yet seems to affect him a fair bit anytime it looks a possibility, but I think there’s a decent chance Lando might now be the second best driver on the grid. Charles, Sainz, and maybe Russell and Alonso would all be in the conversation, but I feel like Lando more consistently outperforms expectations.

He’s a tough one for Oscar to be judged against and I don’t think there’s any shame if he can’t match him for his first few seasons. I think overall Oscar already does a great job to get his one-lap pace as close to him as he does.

Obviously watch with a bias, but Oscar is downright timid at the start, or anytime he's around Norris really.

He seems very focused on driving 'clean', which is hurting his ability to overtake. Not surprising, as he's suffered damage an inordinate amount of times from relatively innocuous touches. He seems less affected defensively (he'll hold his line, but always "leaves a space"), but when he is faster he seems content to hold station behind and wait for "safe" opportunity to overtake. Lando will 'always' dive inside, even if it means driving across his opponent's exit (indeed he uses this tactic a bit to block his victim from the subsequent over-take through better exits)

I hope Oscar's race-craft will come with experience, but IMO he needs to start being more aggressive, especially at the start. With the McLaren lacking top-speed and terrible DRS compared to it's peers, he gets 'stuck' in traffic far too easily. He drives like the repair bill is coming out of his salary.

I think it's getting worse too. I've noticed more than once recently, Lando has swept across the track at the start from disadvantageous positions (but still in front), forcing Oscar to either back off or take horrible lines into turn 1 or 2. Oscar instantly loses half-a-second on a compromised exit and is stuck fighting to hold his position down the next straight.

Whilst it's not shown on screen, the live timing shows Oscar will hold pace +-0.2s from Lando for a number of laps, then suddenly lose 2 seconds for seemingly no reason, before resuming his prior pace. Perhaps managing temps or other limitations of the car following closely, or perhaps running wide or some other mistake.

Maybe in motorsport is there such thing as too nice? Oscar needs a bit of dog in him. That may not be natural to him and could have a negative effect. But still, get nasty out there, respectfully

True, there aren't too many WDCs out there that don't have a bit of campaigner about them

I find it interesting that a lot of people in here think that Ricciardo is done and dusted and Oscar has it all in front of him but most of the Aussie posting focus centres around Ricciardo.

I hope what Daniel showed us in the 33 laps of his race is a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

It is being reported by German sources that Hulk to Audi is pretty much a done deal.
Surely Hulk and Sainz. Rumours of gasly and ocon leaving alpine as well. Not sure where they end up if true

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Hulk and Sainz. Rumours of gasly and ocon leaving alpine as well. Not sure where they end up if true

Alpine might be a good lifeline for someone like Magnussen, who I expect to be out of a seat at the end of the year. Might also be an opportunity for Theo Pourchaire as he won't be seeing F1 action at Sauber/Audi.

Alpine might be a good lifeline for someone like Magnussen, who I expect to be out of a seat at the end of the year. Might also be an opportunity for Theo Pourchaire as he won't be seeing F1 action at Sauber/Audi.
More likely to see Magnussen end up in the WEC than in another F1 seat next year. I'm surprised Audi are willing to take a punt on a 37 year old Hulkenberg next year rather than someone like Pouchaire or Drugovich if Sainz is a done deal.

More likely to see Magnussen end up in the WEC than in another F1 seat next year. I'm surprised Audi are willing to take a punt on a 37 year old Hulkenberg next year rather than someone like Pouchaire or Drugovich if Sainz is a done deal.

German team want a German driver. Although according to the German's on Reddit nobody cares about him despite Sky Germany continually trying to shove him down their throats.

Sainz is also far from a done deal but they are pushing extremely hard to get him.

Yeah its an interesting one. If Ocon and Gasly want out I don't know what their options are aside from Haas and maybe Williams. If they leave though, Alpine's options are similarly limited as they would likely want an experienced driver in their lineup, leaving their choice between Magnussen and Bottas.

Should be top 8 at a minimum. Should be the best of the best to get points. Bad enough we have drivers who shouldn't be in the sport now we just want to give everyone points

At the moment there are seven drivers without a point this year - Albon, Ocon, Zhou, Ricciardo, Gasly, Bottas and Sargaent - and Ollie Bearman has outscored two other drivers because he got to drive a better car one weekend compared to everyone else that has been driving shitboxes across the six events to date. I actually agree with Crofty's sentiments in the snippet I posted. Points all the way down but only if you finish. The championship this year is for second but there is a battle. There is also a battle between the bottom five teams but it comes down to who is in the right place at the right time when one of the top five teams' cars fails as opposed to consistency across 24 weeks.

Andretti must know something we don't. They have opened up a heap of jobs at their new Silverstone site. I doubt they open a factory at Silverstone if they aren't entering F1.

Should be top 8 at a minimum. Should be the best of the best to get points. Bad enough we have drivers who shouldn't be in the sport now we just want to give everyone points

I honestly for the life of me can't figure out the issue, what is the downside? All it will do is add intrigue in to the mid tier teams/drivers. I personally don't like the idea of all 20. But i think 12 is a nice in between.

A) It is good to reward good drives from people in cars that just can't compete with the top top teams.

B) It makes it so legit 1 random outlier race can't decide millions of difference of dollars in the constructors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back