Danyle Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the move. We're not giving up anything for him.

Will suit the space at Subiaco and Ross has a good track record of turing around the form of players.

His best season was when Port were playing well. In a good team without attention I think he will do well (although that was the saints argument for Peake). Hill would struggle and be a huge whipping boy if we were at the bottom for consecutive years.

We have nothing to lose.

Bad.... Very bad... As horrible as mzungu is, Pearce is worse
I really like this. I doubt teams will be able to tag both and Hill and Pearce out the game and should release hilly more, or if not then release Pearce more. mzungu is never tagged so it adds both depth and skill to our list, and we know what we'll get from our back up too (mzungu)

Wow, would slot very dangerously into our team, got to feel for Port, but if he is going to leave best he come to another Port club.
Even better that nothing was let slip, very, very profesional Freo.
Stoked we didnt get Cloke, anything else i
s a bonus.:thumbsu:

I look at him and think he could be anything but when the going gets tough, more often than not Pearce disappears and that's my main concern.

When Port are up and about, who's up there with them??? Pearce!

When the going gets tough, where is Pearce? More often than not, nowhere to be seen and that's personal opinion, not an opinion shaped by anonymous posters on BF.

Fair enough, but to be honest, the majority of AFL players are like this. How many stand up and pull their team over the line every week, not many. Even the 'superstars' go missing at times.

And to be fair to him, it would be difficult in a team that is doing it tough, as others have said he gets the hard tag every game but still can show something.

Not a bad get if it goes through.. Adds a little more to the midfield plus he wouldn't be in our best three midfielders so will have room to use his pace and skills. Would imagine Lyon will have a stern word about what it takes to play in the purple and will toughen him up..

He would add that bit extra in our mid while Freo wait for the likes of Subclife, Neale etc... to develop their game.

If Pearce and Hill are tagged effectively well good luck on keeping Fyfe and co at bay.

Fair enough, but to be honest, the majority of AFL players are like this. How many stand up and pull their team over the line every week, not many. Even the 'superstars' go missing at times.

And to be fair to him, it would be difficult in a team that is doing it tough, as others have said he gets the hard tag every game but still can show something.

Players do go missing, yes I'll happily concede that but really, for someone that's won a Rising Star, I kinda would've expected more from him in his career. Yes, he's playing in a team that is shit but really, I haven't seen enough.

Someone brought up comparing Hill to Pearce and my verdict is simple. I'd take Hill over Pearce everyday of the week and then some.

Both might be fast, both definitely have talent but there's a key difference for mine and that's work ethic.

Hill's been in since 2009 (first year playing) and cops a vicious tag however he's learning to deal with it and has shown (this year in particular) that he can break even with a tag and win against the tag too.

Pearce has been in since 2005 (first year playing), wins a Rising Star and cops a vicious tag every week but more often than not, he struggles and very rarely wins.

Pearce has been in the system for 4 more years than Hill and yet I believe Hill's better which I think is an indictment on Pearce personally.

Would Pearce make a good addition? Yeah look, we need running players who have skill and can break the line so yeah I can see him doing some good in that regard. My only concern is work ethic and willingness to play 2-way football.

Naturally though, I've probably put a big mark on him and he'll prove me wrong, just like Lyon did, just like Dawson did.

Not a bad get if it goes through.. Adds a little more to the midfield plus he wouldn't be in our best three midfielders so will have room to use his pace and skills. Would imagine Lyon will have a stern word about what it takes to play in the purple and will toughen him up..

Brett Kirk's first mentoring project at Fremantle.

Players do go missing, yes I'll happily concede that but really, for someone that's won a Rising Star, I kinda would've expected more from him in his career. Yes, he's playing in a team that is shit but really, I haven't seen enough.

Someone brought up comparing Hill to Pearce and my verdict is simple. I'd take Hill over Pearce everyday of the week and then some.

Both might be fast, both definitely have talent but there's a key difference for mine and that's work ethic.

Hill's been in since 2009 (first year playing) and cops a vicious tag however he's learning to deal with it and has shown (this year in particular) that he can break even with a tag and win against the tag too.

Pearce has been in since 2005 (first year playing), wins a Rising Star and cops a vicious tag every week but more often than not, he struggles and very rarely wins.

Pearce has been in the system for 4 more years than Hill and yet I believe Hill's better which I think is an indictment on Pearce personally.

Would Pearce make a good addition? Yeah look, we need running players who have skill and can break the line so yeah I can see him doing some good in that regard. My only concern is work ethic and willingness to play 2-way football.

Naturally though, I've probably put a big mark on him and he'll prove me wrong, just like Lyon did, just like Dawson did.

1st Bold: See Rhys Palmer, Jared Rivers

2nd Bold: Both get taken out of games frequently through being tagged. It's debatable which it happens to more, but with Port you've gotta understand, they really have limited options worth tagging, and when that's the case - the quick, damaging linebreaker is the 1st to go. Couple that with a team down in the doldrums and you've got yourself a scapegoat quicker than you can say "Byron Schammer"

This might actually well work against my perceived defense of Pearce, but wasn't he drafted, dropped then rookied? Or something along those lines? So that his 1st year with the club wasn't his RS award year, it was just the 1st year he started cracking games that he won it? In a way that can be seen as fighting back through adversity.

3rd bold: see 2nd point, shit performing teams always have the most scapegoats, maybe if he was surrounded by the professionalism and high expectations than Hill has, he can get back to his best too.

At his best he'd likely push somebody like Mzungu out of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Kirk's first mentoring project at Fremantle.

With the numbers from Ports Website on Pearce's Bio I think you have hit the nail on the head with what Kirk will bring .
If he replicates those numbers with his kicking skills, Pearce is a spanking pick up .

Finished fifth in the best and fairest, averaging more than 21 possessions a game (second only to Travis Boak) and relishing the responsibility of a midfield role. He led the club in total kicks (260), handballs received (217) and loose-ball gets (55) and was second in inside 50s (78). Moved to defence late in the year and is expected to spend most of his time playing off half-back, his piercing left boot sure to be a weapon setting up play from the backline. A more complete player, he has plenty to offer.

Don't know why anybody wouldn't be happy with this development. Pearce is not in the elite class (eg. Judd, GAblett, Bartell), i.e. the sort of players who will get their ball and influence games no matter how hard you try to stop them. But those types are rare and don't come cheap in the free agency. Pearce will be a good fit for us if we get him.

Upside:
- Fairly fast mover.
- Good user (not elite, but very good).
- Pretty good tank, could be better

Downside:
- Can be tagged out easily. Not unusual for running wing types though. And if he takes a tag away from Hill then it's a BIG win for us anyway.
- Has been known to drop his bundle when the going gets tough
- Not the fiercest tackler going around, can be defensively exposed, but again, you could say the same of Hill. I think if he buys in to our system this side of things will take care of itself.

Unknown:
- Can he work with Lyon's structure and highly demanding work ethic.

I can see why we have chased him and I like the boldness, I would have preferred Young who plays a similar role but either way we need a player like this.
I think tabling the offer on day 1 is the way to go, if Port do match we probably have a plan B (might even be Young) and by tabling on day 1 we will know by Thursday if Port are matching

Was just thinking the same thing....unfortunately (in the case of Mora)

Ross has already intimated that Mora will come back on the HFF .
So the Pearce move would suggest we are in a hurry .

Come to think of it Morabito on the forward flank with two speedsters on either wing is a tantalizing prospect .

He's a bit soft, but hopefully we can get the best out of him.

Also to me this demontrates an acceptance of Morabito's likely recovery next year and some uncertainty around his future

Demonstrates to me that, we will need to win a lot of games next year to avoid the travel factor in finals and that having a fit and firing Mora outside the best 22 of a top four team, come September, would be a nice headache to have.

I like this.

Teams like Sydney have one real dasher, we will have two and be hard to cover.

I have always rated Pearce as an outside player those always 'go missing' when your inside ball winners are coppping a flogging. So in a good team winning contested ball he will be much better.

Port can match though I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back