Draft Profile Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Well here we are a fair way down the track and many Essendon posters think this is a bit of a make or break year for little Darcy. Some see him as trade bait at year's end unless he improves markedly.

Well here we are a fair way down the track and many Essendon posters think this is a bit of a make or break year for little Darcy. Some see him as trade bait at year's end unless he improves markedly.

Darcy might be a bit vanilla but has always looked capable when playing as an on-baller.
Trouble is he is similar to a few of our existing mids and we are now getting Shiel. It's not like he has to 'improve markedly' to not become 'trade bait' - that isn't the case at all, as he has shown plenty of potential. But he might lack opportunity and could seek it elsewhere.

Darcy might be a bit vanilla but has always looked capable when playing as an on-baller.
Trouble is he is similar to a few of our existing mids and we are now getting Shiel. It's not like he has to 'improve markedly' to not become 'trade bait' - that isn't the case at all, as he has shown plenty of potential. But he might lack opportunity and could seek it elsewhere.
I no longer follow him closely, but I have noticed over this off-season some Essendon supporters saying he may be trade bait at season's end. It surprised me a little, but if he can't get midfield time it's obviously a possibility.

If Parish really did end up trade bait at year-end, what would his price come to be? After 4 years in the system, is his price still going to be inflated by potential?

I don't think many see him as trade bait more-so that if he doesn't crack the midfield rotation it's likely he'll leave.

I think he can still make it

Not really a question imo.

I no longer follow him closely, but I have noticed over this off-season some Essendon supporters saying he may be trade bait at season's end. It surprised me a little, but if he can't get midfield time it's obviously a possibility.
There is good reason for many people to undervalue Parish. People have goldfish memories and the kid has been injured for half the year when there is already solid competition for spots in our midfield before adding Dylan Shiel.

There are also plenty of people making wild suggestions of trading out the likes of Michael Hurley or Orazio Fantasia.

People thinking things and saying things doesn't mean the club or a sane rational person would agree with them.

If Parish really did end up trade bait at year-end, what would his price come to be? After 4 years in the system, is his price still going to be inflated by potential?

It would be a second rounder at the moment. I would expect improvement this year. Parish is going to be a good player, just at present he has achieved next to nothing. At present he is a flop.

Low-ish ceiling IMO, and not a lot of standout traits despite having a decent footy brain. He’s best 22 for most clubs though, and I could see a number of clubs being interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how he's a flop by any measure?
Depends on your definition of a "flop". From the same draft, people constantly call Schache and Weitering "flops" despite showing plenty of promise as key position players and still having time to develop further.

Sure, Parish hasn't blown the world away and has a lot to do to prove his worth as a top 5 pick (just like Schache and Weitering) but he's had his moments, and still has time to go. This year is probably going to be a fairly defining season for a lot of the players from the 2015 draft, because you'd expect most players start to take off around the age of 22/23

Trade bait? Nah.

Oliver comfortably has him covered though.

The second sentence wasn't needed.

Of course it wasn’t, it was extended as a courtesy.

If only the same was offered by those numerous, and utterly moronic, Melbourne supporters regarding Hogan and Daniher.

All too happy to do it now though that he’s been traded - biased, incomprehensible fools.

If only the same was offered by those numerous, and utterly moronic, Melbourne supporters regarding Hogan and Daniher.

All too happy to do it now though that he’s been traded - biased, incomprehensible fools.

The vast majority of BF posters are ridiculously biased, your mob included

I still prefer Hogan.

Time will tell.

Huh? I'm pretty much the only one who thinks he might be traded and I think it'll be more due to a cap squeeze thing.

Parish seems to get judged pretty harshly on here - I suspect that it comes back to a perception that he was ready made which I don't think was really true (didn't have the tank or the size - albeit not a stick figure). Actually had a very good back end to last season once he returned from injury with a very solid run of games to finish the year where he showed plenty of what he had to offer as a midfielder. I suspect he'll develop into a pretty solid B+ type player personally. One of the things that has held him back so far is he isn't that versatile so when he's been forced to spend time up forward he hasn't really performed as well. His forward play has been gradually improving but I don't think it'll ever be a real strength of his, his bread and butter will always be winning ball in the middle.

Essendon won't be trying to trade him unless he wants to leave (which I haven't heard).

I'd recommend anyone new to this thread to read the first few pages.

To suggest the tone of Essendon supporters is different at the end of this thread to those first few pages is what one calls a juicy understatement.

Chuckle

To suggest the tone of Essendon supporters is different at the end of this thread to those first few pages is what one calls a juicy understatement.

Chuckle
Lucas Cook, Cale Morton, Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Watts, Jordan Gysberts...

Huh ? No, you're not.
Just spent 5 minutes having a quick search. Unless I have them on ignore, it's pretty much only me.

Chuckle
What about all the Melbourne supporters making fools of themselves trying to denigrate Parish? Oh wait that's still happening...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back