Multiplat Dark Souls (including 2018 remaster)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah Dark Souls' incredible level design keeps it a rung above the rest. I also found Bloodborne a little too limiting in builds you could make.
Lack of warping until you beat O&S does that. That world design is at its best in Dark Souls, up until that point, but after that it's a series of linear paths with branches to the 4 lords.

And you can't say that Izalith was much fun. * the Bed of Chaos sideways.

Bloodborne is more even, and has no areas that are unfinished. It also has the second best level design in the series, although the warping to and from a hub world is awful. The bosses are better outside DS's DLC, and the old hunters is bloody awesome.

You're right about build variety though. It's offset somewhat by the weapons themselves; each is just so different. I spent ages just clicking the boom hammer on and off, hitting mooks with the charged heavy just cause I could. Never did that with any of the weapons in DS.

Anyone bothered with this yet?

Its basically the dsfix pc mod with a few extra touchs. Still happy to have purchased it AND I'll get it on the Switch as well.

I've got the original retail disc on 360 and ps3.
The digital version for 360
The PTD edition on pc

Now the Remaster on pc and XBO

I have it on PC and with the mods that came out for it, its pretty insulting for them to basically release it again with the communities fixes and call it a remaster when they haven't really remastered anything.
They had the chance to fix some really s**t areas (dragon ass lava zone, anyone?) and add in some DS3 quality of life changes. Maybe even add in new DLC or something that ties in with DS3 endings because there are some missing or odd links.

Its rich calling this a remaster. Its a HD re-release and not really anything more.

That said, I love this game, and having a portable version with me while I travel (and the fact I will get it cheap) means I will pick it up on switch.

But if you are a PC gamer this is a slap in the face.

Maybe a PC release of Demons Souls remastered, or Bloodborne on PC would make up for this.

Very much a minimalist update for PC players.

A few new lighting effects and Blighttown is fixed but not much beyond that.

I'm playing on the One X. Hopefully Bloodborne gets this treatment, would love to play that 60FPS

I mean for those who only played DS1 on Xbox or PS then this is a worthwhile update. Nintendo owners, worthwhile.

Pc owners? Bah, not worth it. The only addition thats not compete s**t was the password matching for online co op play.

Could argue that Xbox users could have received this as a free BC update tbh.

I was surprised at the Steam boards. I thought this edition was a bit underwhelming but for a place that is usually pretty toxic I was surprised to read so many people were more than happy to re-buy the game even if it was just for multiplayer.

I'll definitely get it at first discount. I think I mentioned earlier but I had all sorts of issues running it with DSFix at the time (controller input was funky and I had to keep setting the resolution) so only got it on PS3. Would probably be a much more enjoyable experience this time around given it will at least work properly out of the box.

I was surprised at the Steam boards. I thought this edition was a bit underwhelming but for a place that is usually pretty toxic I was surprised to read so many people were more than happy to re-buy the game even if it was just for multiplayer.

I'll definitely get it at first discount. I think I mentioned earlier but I had all sorts of issues running it with DSFix at the time (controller input was funky and I had to keep setting the resolution) so only got it on PS3. Would probably be a much more enjoyable experience this time around given it will at least work properly out of the box.

Pretty sure it should already be discounted if you own the original.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn rats and their poison. Been practising my parrying (not sure how I made it through these games without it!) and can flawlessly get through a section, then some stupid rat poisons me and I don't have any more moss.
Haven't played the remaster but I started with a shield for blocking in 2 and 3 pretty sure, but just relied on rolling after that.

How is the rolling in this?

Haven't played the remaster but I started with a shield for blocking in 2 and 3 pretty sure, but just relied on rolling after that.

How is the rolling in this?

Rolling is like rolling in treacle compared to DS3. I only decided to learn to parry because of the spear enemies that just turtle behind their shield, now I just bait them into attacking and wreck them in one hit. Except after I run through parrying everything like a boss a stupid rat poisons me because it hits me while I'm attacking and not blocking. Grr.

Beat Anor Londo last night

Side note I keep calling it Anor Lindo/Lando for some reason! Have those in my mind instead of typing Londo.

It was tricky at first I died a handful of times at the Ornstein and Smough battle (each either 10 seconds or 30 seconds). Summoned someone being mindful that I had stuff all Humanity left so if I died I'd be screwed (takes forever trying to get the perfect run to beat them solo). I let the other person be the decoy while I would run up from behind and slash away their health.

Strategy worked out really well :D. Also later on someone tried to invade and kill me while I was human................I managed to kill them instead :D. Also got the firekeeper soul back by taking out Lauretc. Found that unusually easy (when I last played the game it took a few attempts). I think I'm developing my character ok (no special weapons yet other than the black knight sword which is now +5).

50/50 on tackling either Sif or the ghosts in New Londo Ruins next.

Beat Anor Londo last night

Side note I keep calling it Anor Lindo/Lando for some reason! Have those in my mind instead of typing Londo.

It was tricky at first I died a handful of times at the Ornstein and Smough battle (each either 10 seconds or 30 seconds). Summoned someone being mindful that I had stuff all Humanity left so if I died I'd be screwed (takes forever trying to get the perfect run to beat them solo). I let the other person be the decoy while I would run up from behind and slash away their health.

Strategy worked out really well :D. Also later on someone tried to invade and kill me while I was human................I managed to kill them instead :D. Also got the firekeeper soul back by taking out Lauretc. Found that unusually easy (when I last played the game it took a few attempts). I think I'm developing my character ok (no special weapons yet other than the black knight sword which is now +5).

50/50 on tackling either Sif or the ghosts in New Londo Ruins next.

Leave Sif til after you've done the DLC if you want the kick in the guts. :p

Rolling is like rolling in treacle compared to DS3. I only decided to learn to parry because of the spear enemies that just turtle behind their shield, now I just bait them into attacking and wreck them in one hit. Except after I run through parrying everything like a boss a stupid rat poisons me because it hits me while I'm attacking and not blocking. Grr.
Yeah nice. I've never been a huge partier. When in bloodborne I rarely used the gun.

I think I will get this tomorrow, never finished the original. Back in to BB at the moment though, grinding the chalices solo for the last trophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back