2nds David Mackay 2 goals 12 spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

The one time he broke the lines last night, i thought "wow he broke the lines" and then he waltzed in to kick a point.

when people say he's got Elite footskills, have we been mistaking it all this time and he actually has Elite Crow footskills?
Hey how did I miss this compliment? You are right though, he kicks just like me but I wouldn't be knocked over by a ball.

I actually thought he played well on the weekend, I didn't realise the lop sided handball count though. He did that because of the pressure. So which running player was he handballing to because we didn't have any.

I actually thought he played well on the weekend, I didn't realise the lop sided handball count though. He did that because of the pressure. So which running player was he handballing to because we didn't have any.

A saw Jacobs a couple of times be the last guy in the handball chain, maybe he was our designated outside runner for the night?

I've been as vocal of a critic of Mackay as most people, but even I can see his performance on Friday night compared to the other guys out there doesn't warrant him being singled out this time around.

Have missed a great opportunity this year to make a stand. He should have been dropped and been told to make a request for trade as he was outside best 22. As it is, we dropped him for a week and then rushed him back in on no basis of form, whilst others in strong form can't get a look in. It is a slight on the club and its coaches this year that Wigg hasn't had a look in, it would have been nice to see if he does have the game for the next level and it would have given us another option for the finals series, yet we stuck fat with Mr 2 goals 12.

Blight would have pushed him into the centre of the circle

Was watching the game with my Freo friend on Friday night. When he missed that goal I shouted 'typical Mackay. Worst 150 gamer ever'. My friend replied with 'whaaaaaat? That guys played 150 games? I've never even heard of him!'

Sums up all that's wrong with Mackay.

Which is exactly the problem.

He should be the handball receiver, not the one handballing, but he's too soft and timid to take the game on, so he handballs it off so it's someone else's problem.

Everytime I see this guy in a crows Guernsey it just reminds me of how much of a mediocre club we are.

That's harsh. I think we've taken massive strides forward in the last couple of years. The problem is that Mackay's long-term contract is a holdover from an earlier, shittier era.

I've been as vocal of a critic of Mackay as most people, but even I can see his performance on Friday night compared to the other guys out there doesn't warrant him being singled out this time around.

It continues to amaze me how many people want to isolate a single game in selection discussions. "But he wasn't the worst player tonight". It gets very boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay was deplorable in finals last year, chokes at every big moment in a match, just doesn't get the job done. He's the opposite of Shaun Burgoyne.

Meanwhile we have a bunch of players in the reserves who should get an opportunity who are clearly better footballers by a long, long way (Wigg, Knight, Milera, Beech).

The guy actually looked the goods early in the year. Not brilliant but one that fit into our 22. Although never Mr Reliability he has definitely turned into Mr Liability!!! I find myself say "Oh no Mackay" too many times. I don't like it.

His year has been overstated. He's played 3 good games, in big wins, and mostly borderline with at Keats a few crap. Will poll poorly in the b&f, bookmark that. Injuries have kept his sub-mediocre ass in the side.

The stats of that last game flattered the 3 blokes who are letting us down big time (maybe should be 4 counting Jacobs WOG performance).

Anyone at the ground would've been absolutely disgusted with selfish, lazy game played by Scott Thompson. He point blank refused to chase guys only 1m away, just conserving himself to plod to the next stoppage and pad his stats. Meanwhile WC mids smashed us to pieces.

Douglas…junk time Dickie did it again. Again, how slow is he these days? It's just awful…watch him closely and you can see he doesn't chase with 100% effort.

Mackay…ineffective and the 'crap your dacks' player that just infects the whole side with his 'almost' football. Almost a goal, almost a tackle, almost a spoil, almost hit the lead….arrrrrggghhh.

Get me a player with absolute class like Milera, or a cocky little bloke who brings it on the big stage in Knight, or a mature ager who has dominated SANFL finals and will actually bust his gut every contest.

Package him up with Noble for Brisbane, pay half his salary and give them our 3rd rounder.

Would be a massive win for us getting rid of two deadweights.

Can you clarify this whole 'Noble to Brisbane' thing? I feel like I'm missing something.

Is it simply that you/others want Noble gone and Brisbane seem like they'll take anything at the moment?

And on topic; Mackay should be dropped for the elimination final.

I know team spirit is a fragile thing but surely playing these guys is actually detrimental? If I was an AFL player I'd be singleminded in my premiership pursuit and would like to see players dropped who were standing in the way.

Also, our selection process over the year has given too much weight to incumbents…there's always the knowledge they can go through the motions and play average because they know they won't ever be dropped.

He just has to go. And if they don't want to pay him out or do whatever it takes to get rid of him, he needs to be told that he has one objective, and that is to try and win a SANFL premiership. Henderson should also be sitting in on that meeting.

And Mackay doesn't just struggle with big moments. He struggles with most moments. He constantly handballs to players flatfooted and in a terrible position if it means he avoids contact from an opposition player. And we cant ignore his signature move. Run 10-15 metres with ball in hand, drop the head and just kick as long as possible. Does not matter who is ahead of him or what the correct decision at the time is, he just kicks the thing blindly forward, usually resulting in a turnover. At best it misses the target by that much it dribbles out and there is a throw in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back