2nds David Mackay 2 goals 12 spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

The stats of that last game flattered the 3 blokes who are letting us down big time (maybe should be 4 counting Jacobs WOG performance).

Anyone at the ground would've been absolutely disgusted with selfish, lazy game played by Scott Thompson. He point blank refused to chase guys only 1m away, just conserving himself to plod to the next stoppage and pad his stats. Meanwhile WC mids smashed us to pieces.

Douglas…junk time Dickie did it again. Again, how slow is he these days? It's just awful…watch him closely and you can see he doesn't chase with 100% effort.

Mackay…ineffective and the 'crap your dacks' player that just infects the whole side with his 'almost' football. Almost a goal, almost a tackle, almost a spoil, almost hit the lead….arrrrrggghhh.

Get me a player with absolute class like Milera, or a cocky little bloke who brings it on the big stage in Knight, or a mature ager who has dominated SANFL finals and will actually bust his gut every contest.
I know exactly what you mean by Thommo. On the Eastern wing in the last I watched him do nothing as West Coast mids ran past him, he didn't even attempt to chase.

There was another on the half forward flank he failed to lay a shepherd, he just didn't even attempt to move to block the West Coast player.

I pray he doesn't play on as I don't like bagging him.

Don't remember that one.
D-Mack's man get sucked into a marking contest with Gov and his opponent. Ball comes to ground, Gov beats two of them to tap into D-Mack's path. He dribbles it through from about 5-10m out, 45 degree angle with his man closing.

That's about as neutral a description as I can give.

Can you clarify this whole 'Noble to Brisbane' thing? I feel like I'm missing something.

Is it simply that you/others want Noble gone and Brisbane seem like they'll take anything at the moment?

And on topic; Mackay should be dropped for the elimination final.

AFL governing body are keen for Noble to move to the Lions to lead the rebuild of their footy program

D-Mack's man get sucked into a marking contest with Gov and his opponent. Ball comes to ground, Gov beats two of them to tap into D-Mack's path. He dribbles it through from about 5-10m out, 45 degree angle with his man closing.

That's about as neutral a description as I can give.
Which quarter? Pulling it up on the IQ now.

AFL governing body are keen for Noble to move to the Lions to lead the rebuild of their footy program

Noble to Brisbane in a management role, takes Campo with him as head coach (given people have been saying Campo has reconsidered his desire to be head coach since declining last year?).

It would be almost as good for us as Carlton poaching Trigg.

Let's just keep giving off these subpar staff members while we retain the quality.

He just has to go. And if they don't want to pay him out or do whatever it takes to get rid of him, he needs to be told that he has one objective, and that is to try and win a SANFL premiership. Henderson should also be sitting in on that meeting.

And Mackay doesn't just struggle with big moments. He struggles with most moments. He constantly handballs to players flatfooted and in a terrible position if it means he avoids contact from an opposition player. And we cant ignore his signature move. Run 10-15 metres with ball in hand, drop the head and just kick as long as possible. Does not matter who is ahead of him or what the correct decision at the time is, he just kicks the thing blindly forward, usually resulting in a turnover. At best it misses the target by that much it dribbles out and there is a throw in.

I think its disrespectful to talk about Henderson being anywhere near as bad as Mackay. Look at Hendersons performance on the weekend vs Mackays. Look at the same thing in finals last year.

Henderson has his faults but he's significantly better than 400kay

I know exactly what you mean by Thommo. On the Eastern wing in the last I watched him do nothing as West Coast mids ran past him, he didn't even attempt to chase.

There was another on the half forward flank he failed to lay a shepherd, he just didn't even attempt to move to block the West Coast player.

That non-shepherd was infuriating! Just jogged along not offering position for a handball but at the same time let the WC player go straight past him and pressure the ball carrier…is that selfishness, poor concentration, no desire left??

That non-shepherd was infuriating! Just jogged along not offering position for a handball but at the same time let the WC player go straight past him and pressure the ball carrier…is that selfishness, poor concentration, no desire left??

Or perhaps the effort of just keeping up with the play left him no energy or concentration for anything else?

I for one don't doubt his willpower, just his ability to deliver.

It continues to amaze me how many people want to isolate a single game in selection discussions. "But he wasn't the worst player tonight". It gets very boring.

So is it amazing or boring?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the thing that makes me really pissed at some of the people at the club. I get emotional after a huge choke and lay into David Mackay. Call him a spud and a failure and worse.

But David Mackay isn't a bad guy. He tries his guts out. He just isn't very good. Yet some morons at the club continue to select him over and over even though every supporter that watches the game can see he wouldn't get a game in any other side. We keep setting him up to fail over and over.

They keep selecting him and he keeps fluffing the moments that matter and the supporters start to detest him. But its not his fault. He's actually doing his best. His best just isn't good enough. Selectors are dicks.

So is it amazing or boring?

Amazing that people are so simple and keen to support perennial plodders. Boring to have to keep repeating that selection decisions aren't based on single games and just because a top 12 player had a worse game, doesn't mean a permanent member of the bottom 4 shouldn't be dropped. And yet, you'll persist with this idiotic retort next time the opportunity arises.

Amazing that people are so simple and keen to support perennial plodders. Boring to have to keep repeating that selection decisions aren't based on single games and just because a top 12 player had a worse game, doesn't mean a permanent member of the bottom 4 shouldn't be dropped. And yet, you'll persist with this idiotic retort next time the opportunity arises.

It's okay with me that you decided to get a little personal. I was talking about singling him out this week since he gets singled out every other week, but if you decide to interpret that as me saying that he can't be dropped, so be it, I can't be bothered to try and correct the ledger. I even stated that I have been a massive critic of Mackay so I'm a little unsure as to why you think I'm going to persist with anything, but I'm sure you have your reasons for saying it. Feel free to get even more personal if it will make you feel better, it won't change my opinion that he didn't deserve being singled out considering the other performances by other players from Friday night.

Last edited:
But David Mackay isn't a bad guy. He tries his guts out. He just isn't very good. Yet some morons at the club continue to select him over and over even though every supporter that watches the game can see he wouldn't get a game in any other side. We keep setting him up to fail over and over.

They keep selecting him and he keeps fluffing the moments that matter and the supporters start to detest him. But its not his fault. He's actually doing his best. His best just isn't good enough. Selectors are dicks.
Great call actually. Kind of like me in cricket. I'm a great B grade player, which has led to me getting selected in the A's after the odd big score. But I'm not a good A grade player. I've only ever cracked 20 once in A grade, yet they keep picking me because my B grade form warrants it.

If our suburban country cricket team had fans, they'd probably get angry at me like we get at Mackay ("He got bowled on a full toss?!"). But like you say, it's not his fault. It's the selectors' fault for continuing to pick him when he's clearly not up to it.

This is the thing that makes me really pissed at some of the people at the club. I get emotional after a huge choke and lay into David Mackay. Call him a spud and a failure and worse.

I agree with you completely. The truly heartbreaking thing is they're doing it to Thompson too. I've loved watching him play for a decade now but they're tainting that memory of him.

I said in another thread, (in fact I think I might've started a new thread on it; can't remember) that he's so frustrating because in the past his best plays have been when he uses his pace and his kicking skills. Our gripes on him have always been that he doesn't do it enough and always has had poor possession numbers. This year is possession numbers have been better which has kept him in the side but now he can't hit the side of a barn, especially for goal.

I agree with you completely. The truly heartbreaking thing is they're doing it to Thompson too. I've loved watching him play for a decade now but they're tainting that memory of him.
You either retire a hero, or play long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Burton was another one. For everything great he did, my most recent memories of him are wondering "Why is he still getting picked?"

That sadly is the problem with Adelaide, we saw it earlier in the year when they tried to discretely slot VB back into the side. There is a long held belief at the club that medicore senior players have more to offer than talented inexperienced players.

I would love to know why the club have overlooked guys like Wigg, Menzel. Knight and Greenwood this year and given games to Henderson, VB, MacKay and a lesser degree Douglas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back