Roast The Non Goal: F*** the AFL, court injunction?

What compensation will we receive from the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course we finished first on the umpire reamed ladder. Just watching the games you can see that the umpires go out their way to find free kicks for the opposition and make it as hard as possible for us to win the game. I would like to see this stat over the last 20 years as I'm fairly confident would be in the top 2-3 every year. It's fairly obvious that out of all the teams the ones involving us would be the easiest for umpires to influence the result as there's never an outcry from the club or media about bad free kicks against us. All Nicks would be likely to say is that these factors don't influence the result which is complete horseshit. Just once I would like to see the club jump up and down about free kicks and wear the fine as nothing is ever done about it and it happens year after year.
Surely no one actually believes that there's some sort of top secret conspiracy against the Crows.

I try and watch as many games a week as I possibly can and some weeks the umpiring is s**t, but I normally see rubbish frees being paid in all nine games each week.

I do think there's an issue with the crowd influencing umpires especially at games in Melb against non Vic clubs, but that goes across the board.

Surely no one actually believes that there's some sort of top secret conspiracy against the Crows.

I try and watch as many games a week as I possibly can and some weeks the umpiring is s**t, but I normally see rubbish frees being paid in all nine games each week.

I do think there's an issue with the crowd influencing umpires especially at games in Melb against non Vic clubs, but that goes across the board.

Not a top secret conspiracy, it's quite simple there is a subconscious bias from the predominately Victorian based umpires against us.

Or do you believe generation after generation of Crows players don't know the rules hence we have one of the worse free kick differential in the comp.

Not a top secret conspiracy, it's quite simple there is a subconscious bias from the predominately Victorian based umpires against us.

Or do you believe generation after generation of Crows players don't know the rules hence we have one of the worse free kick differential in the comp.

Yet if I go on AFL tables and look at the free kick stats it says something completely different

Overall free kick differential percentage (1 best, 18 worst)

2023 14th
2022 6th
2021 7th
2020 5th
2019 3rd
2018 4th
2017 8th
2016. 5th
2015 9th
2014 2nd

Most years we have one of the better free kick differential records in the league.

I'm interested in your metric as to how we're the worst in the league.

Last edited:

If that adelaide crowd who lost their collective minds when Keays kicked thst goal can’t influence an umpire then I’m not sure anything can move that bloke.

What they are doing is correct.

It’s correct if they stick with the original umpires call when the technology is inconclusive.

But that isn’t what happens in the AFL a lot of the time.

The video umpire can overrule the goal umpire based on shitty zoomed-in pixelated inconclusive footage. It’s almost like they operate on a balance of probabilities system.

That’s not how it should work!

It’s correct if they stick with the original umpires call when the technology is inconclusive.

But that isn’t what happens in the AFL a lot of the time.

The video umpire can overrule the goal umpire based on shitty zoomed-in pixelated inconclusive footage. It’s almost like they operate on a balance of probabilities system.

That’s not how it should work!
Agreed. That one was clearly can't tell, stay with ump's decision. For some reason the video ump thought he had to do something: that was a bad error. Most of the time, they get those right and leave the errors with the goal umpire.

so this video popped up randomly in my youtube feed

.. ah, but Sydney played on way too quickly, so there was literally nothing we could have done...

SANFL has always been a better run comp

Not necessarily. For example, in LBW appeals where the ball pitches just before the pads, especially from a spinner, and especially well down the pitch, neither the human nor the technology will be any good. Rather than accepting the technology "out" in those cases, it's much more sensible to use the umpire's cautious "not out" when he can't be sure it's out.
There will never be a technological certainty in such situations.
The technology is still better. No-one is saying it is 100% - but I'll take the technology over humans when it comes to predictions of projectiles any day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The technology is still better. No-one is saying it is 100% - but I'll take the technology over humans when it comes to predictions of projectiles any day.
Yes

And the technology is already out there

The will to embrace it and modify it suit is lagging behind

I'd love to see data about individual umpires. By teams for? Against? Home? Away? Forward? Defence?

But to minimise all this innuendo, why not just have all games umpired by interstate umpires? Similar to international cricket.

I’ve always wondered with tennis why they don’t side by side screen freeze frame show the ball landing like the do with Hawkeye.
Sometimes the ball looks so far away on initial footage and then Hawkeye shows it close to the line, I don’t believe it.
Whether you're correct or not, tennis players automatically accept the hawkeye decision. I feel they do trust the technology.

Not necessarily. For example, in LBW appeals where the ball pitches just before the pads, especially from a spinner, and especially well down the pitch, neither the human nor the technology will be any good. Rather than accepting the technology "out" in those cases, it's much more sensible to use the umpire's cautious "not out" when he can't be sure it's out.
There will never be a technological certainty in such situations.
Projecting an unproven future flight path is complicated but well within the capabilties of advanced sporting technology.

However...

A football decision will use a substantially simpler technology, like in tennis, by only needing to track the ball. No projection required.

Back