Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

mediumsizered ... do you reckon we have an issue with the tail wagging the dog? ;)
Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton & the pressure being ramped up on Teague 2 years into his tenure.

Way back in 1995, in the days when we wore an onion on our belt, Parkin basically handed the keys to the club to the players. Sadly no-one has taken the keys back despite the lack of success post 1995.

I see posters talking about coaches losing the players. If this is happening it is incumbent upon the powers that be at the club to back the coach, sending a message to the players that they don't run the club & their performances over an extended period of time don't give them any leeway to think about running the club.

Back in the '70s & '80s I used to be critical of Collingwood supporters for putting the players on a pedestal despite their consistent failure to win premierships. Of course they were making the finals on a regular basis, but finding ways to lose grand finals said a lot about the players. The same could be said of Geelong in the '90s. When I see our players being applauded off the ground by our supporters after losing a game, I think of the aforementioned Collingwood supporters & what role this plays in the players being satisfied with just being out there. Give them all a certificate.

Depending on how today & next week goes, if we find that finals are off the radar, then I would like to see the coaching panel send an extremely clear message that another failed season is not acceptable. This message should be conveyed by the selection of the likes of Ramsay, Honey, Dow, LOB, TDK & the banishment of Murphy, Betts, Casboult, Newnes, Curnow & maybe some others to go with them.

I get sick of hearing suggestions that a coach has lost the players. If the powers that be support a coach, which they should given they appointed said coach, then it is up to the players to buy in to the coach's message/methods. Buy-in is what won Collingwood the 2010 premiership & premierships for Geelong, Hawthorn & Richmond, whose coaches were all under pressure prior to their success.

If Teague gets moved on, it will be more than clear that the tail is still well & truly wagging the dog because there can be no other explanation for letting the players off for consistently not bringing their best on the field.

A player and a few others? Meaning one player who feels a certain way and others who may or may not be directly in the know?

How was this player tracking? Getting games? A leader?

I feel there are a few disillusioned players at every club at any given moment. Hence what we see during the trade period.

As for micromanaging, the coaching advisor would have helped here.
One was Cripps.

Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton & the pressure being ramped up on Teague 2 years into his tenure.

Way back in 1995, in the days when we wore an onion on our belt, Parkin basically handed the keys to the club to the players. Sadly no-one has taken the keys back despite the lack of success post 1995.

I see posters talking about coaches losing the players. If this is happening it is incumbent upon the powers that be at the club to back the coach, sending a message to the players that they don't run the club & their performances over an extended period of time don't give them any leeway to think about running the club.

Back in the '70s & '80s I used to be critical of Collingwood supporters for putting the players on a pedestal despite their consistent failure to win premierships. Of course they were making the finals on a regular basis, but finding ways to lose grand finals said a lot about the players. The same could be said of Geelong in the '90s. When I see our players being applauded off the ground by our supporters after losing a game, I think of the aforementioned Collingwood supporters & what role this plays in the players being satisfied with just being out there. Give them all a certificate.

Depending on how today & next week goes, if we find that finals are off the radar, then I would like to see the coaching panel send an extremely clear message that another failed season is not acceptable. This message should be conveyed by the selection of the likes of Ramsay, Honey, Dow, LOB, TDK & the banishment of Murphy, Betts, Casboult, Newnes, Curnow & maybe some others to go with them.

I get sick of hearing suggestions that a coach has lost the players. If the powers that be support a coach, which they should given they appointed said coach, then it is up to the players to buy in to the coach's message/methods. Buy-in is what won Collingwood the 2010 premiership & premierships for Geelong, Hawthorn & Richmond, whose coaches were all under pressure prior to their success.

If Teague gets moved on, it will be more than clear that the tail is still well & truly wagging the dog because there can be no other explanation for letting the players off for consistently not bringing their best on the field.

Thanks my friend. I knew I could count on you.

Potentially but its extremely hard to assign blame or say anything absolute from where we are. I think they tried for a long time and just lost hope with the direction, happens.

Wait a second, aren't you assigning blame to Bolton?

Wait a second, aren't you assigning blame to Bolton?
Uh no, that's not what I said. I said the players, enough of them, lost faith in the direction and stopped Playing for Bolton. There's no fault assigned to anyone in that statement because we don't know if the lost faith too quickly or. Too slowly or what was done behind doors to rectify things before it went too far, if anything. Can try again to twist words if you want.

Uh no, that's not what I said. I said the players, enough of them, lost faith in the direction and stopped Playing for Bolton. There's no fault assigned to anyone in that statement because we don't know if the lost faith too quickly or. Too slowly or what was done behind doors to rectify things before it went too far, if anything. Can try again to twist words if you want.

Let's not go that route huh? I'm only responding to the veracity of your words.

[quote Uh no - there was a 'faction' that was deadset sick of his micromanaging and 'apparent' lack of progress. The friction was huge, I've quite literally spoken to a player and a few others about it. There were plenty of players who ended up resenting him. [/quote]

That sounded like blame. I'm not attacking you. I'm looking for objectivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a masterclass in not having a plan B when a good side makes adjustments. I’m not surprised we’re sitting here...
I like Teague as a person.
I think he is a very capable assistant coach.
Seems to be up against it at the moment.
Club has some thinking to do.
As many posters have stated in recent times, some quality assistant coaches wouldn't go astray.

I like Teague as a person.
I think he is a very capable assistant coach.
Seems to be up against it at the moment.
Club has some thinking to do.
As many posters have stated in recent times, some quality assistant coaches wouldn't go astray.

Agree Teague comes across a good person ... but not a leader ....

In ... Michael Voss

We still have Barker sitting next to him and what has he done in the last decade since his own Hawks sacked him?

Teague seems to lack the confidence to be a good match day coach and is striking me more as the assistant the players have a shoulder to cry on and not head coach material. Bolton was the same and even Ratten as well honestly. Only bloke that wasn’t in this mound was Malthouse in all seriousness but we got him 5 years to late as dementia had already set in.

I want a coach that makes players afraid to stuff up and shows emotion and ruthlessness when things are not going well not a pathetic shoulder to cry on. Maybe I am old fashioned but look at the Dees with Chocko this season and what transformed the Tigers when Balme entered the fold. These are old school hard nuts that demand accountability and work rate.

We have Teague and Barker and let that sink in for a while.

Number of times we’ve conceded 30+ points under Teague (happened 64% in games coached):
Rd 8 2021 vs Dogs - 44 point swing

Rd 6 2021 vs Lions - 43 point swing

Rd 5 2021 vs Power - 42 point swing

Rd 2 2021 vs Pies - 30 point swing

Rd 1 2021 vs Dogs - 37 point swing

Rd 18 2020 vs lions - 31 point swing

Rd 17 2020 vs Crows - 40 point swing

Rd 16 2020 vs swans - 38 point swing

Rd 14 2020 vs pies - 33 point swing

Rd 11 2020 vs eagles - 43 point swing

Rd 9 2020 vs hawks - 62 point swing

Rd 5 2020 vs Saints - 38 point swing

Rd 4 2020 vs cats - 42 point swing

Rd 2 2020 vs dees - 56 point swing

Rd 1 2020 vs tigers- 50 point swing

Rd 23 2019 vs cats - 68 point swing

Rd 22 2019 vs Saints - 30 point swing

Rd 21 2019 vs tigers - 35 point swing

Rd 20 2019 vs eagles - 50 point swing

Rd 16 2019 vs dees - 39 point swing

Rd 15 2019 vs freo - 30 point swing

Rd 14 2019 vs dogs - 35 point swing

Rd 13 2019 vs lions - 37 point swing

The guy might be a good tactician but he’s a terrible game-day coach.

Things that have never happened:

Board to Lee Mathews - "Hey mate, the players just don't respect you, but that doesn't matter we reckon you're the man".

Things that have happened:

Lee Mathews.

Instilling the players with the desire to win, to put themselves on the line, to do whatever it takes is an entirely mental, psychological attribute. When the players lose faith in their coach - thats it. It doesn't come back. These are young impressionable blokes.

Its the same in every single country footy club across the country - from Benalla to Tatong.

Number of times we’ve conceded 30+ points under Teague (happened 64% in games coached):

This is amazing.

I was listening to radio during the week and one of the coaches was saying that teams basically now just coach to "stay" with Carlton because they know that they will have a lapse and to crush them. May have been Leppa on SEN.

That’s all the evidence required. Has had more than enough time to adapt and hasn’t. Should be gone tomorrow but won’t be.

22 times in less than two seasons?

this is damming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back