Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Our senior consultant coach is employed to advise, mentor , fine tune and make necessary adjustments to the game plan coaching techniques & structures.
Let’s give him some time, also Russell always come out unscathed after each loss yet players struggle to run out a game? and long terms injuries continue? is another Bouffant? Teaugy instead is criticized continually?

I really like Teague...but there are two major areas that just don't seem to be working under his leadership. First is player development...I just don't see the gains that other clubs appear to be seeing in their young players. And also I'm noy seeing much improvement in his match day stuff...the "5 goal runs" that sides seemed to be able to achieve against us...I thought we'd be able to address them somehow. But I just see nothing with our game plan that screams sustainable. It's either Plan A...or nothing.

Do you honestly think that the assistant coaches haven't discussed every, play or setup possible?
They are AFL assistant coaches ffs (Barker - Level 4 coach), it's not the under 14's

It comes down to Teague's philosophy and game plan that they are bound and limited by..
Being bound by Teague's game plan.. Do you thing a new assistant is going to come in and revolutionise us and the game of AFL?

Teague needs to either go or drastically change his ideals and come up with a game style that, suit our list, stands up under pressure and is suited to a winning culture and team.. This is where new successful assistants will help immensely..

Unless Teague goes or drastically changes..
Changing assistants will not change our results a great deal, if at all..
The minutiae of a stoppage set-up is not about the Coach’s over-arching game plan. It’s what the stoppage coach does.

Our senior consultant coach is employed to advise, mentor , fine tune and make necessary adjustments to the game plan coaching techniques & structures.
Let’s give him some time, also Russell always come out unscathed after each loss yet players struggle to run out a game? and long terms injuries continue? is another Bouffant? Teaugy instead is criticized continually?

Yep he gets a free ride around here.

He's done good things with Cuningham and McKay and their injuries - that's it really.

Sends Cripps, Williams, Casboult out there hurt. Marchbank got more injury prone under Russell, he couldn't get McGovern right, Martin same troubles as at GC. Heaps of injuries all over really. Some collision of course but some soft tissue too.

Our players seem more lean but meh, it's nothing special.

Deserves more heat.

I really like Teague...but there are two major areas that just don't seem to be working under his leadership. First is player development...I just don't see the gains that other clubs appear to be seeing in their young players. And also I'm noy seeing much improvement in his match day stuff...the "5 goal runs" that sides seemed to be able to achieve against us...I thought we'd be able to address them somehow. But I just see nothing with our game plan that screams sustainable. It's either Plan A...or nothing.
5 goal runs been happening since Teague's first game v brisbane.

Last edited:
Supporters are reactive by nature, no different to any other club. It's the club politics that sets CFC apart from our successful rivals
Toddlers are reactive. I've seen other clubs go through tough times and the supporter base rally behind the coach, haven't seen it too often at Carlton

That was Parkin in a good mood. In all seriousness, Parkin was about standards and doing those unconditional things and the team were drilled. Not to mention we had leadership everywhere from Sticks, Diesel, SOS, Dean, McKay, Sexton, Ratten and Bradley. Then look at the additions to the team who were cast offs like Manton, Clape, Pearce and a first year Camporeale who just thrived.

That is the standard I have held every Carlton side up against ever since. Leaders on every line (sometimes more than one) and the collective mindset was utterly ruthless. The mental toughness was off the charts and laughable compared to this current playing group. Walsh and Weiters are the only two who I'd say are even remotely near it.

Yep - I only watched on tv from 2'3rds of the third quarter. Dogs kicked a goal, then we absolutely butchered a couple of chances to kick replies. Then we couldnt get a hand on it in the middle and when we got the ball we constantly kicked to 50/50's, which ended up in turnovers due to mids being slaughtered.

Doggies had something like 10 misses to our 12 before the blow-out. So if the criteria is "teams kicking straight" they still would have won

Bit of hardnosed reality in the press conference for all the armchair experts...that actually have zero idea what it takes

Teaguey says...I dont give a stuff what anyone thinks, we pick the best available team to win but we just arent good enough yet.

Amen to that honesty

He can say that all he likes - he's not the messiah and plenty of people with as much or more experience than him vehemently disagree.

Gibbons should NOT be picked after 75% game time with 5 possessions when others were smashing down the door.

He clearly plays favourites, has stated very clearly he wont make statements at the selection table and thats clear. He prefers playing the older players as thats what got him his first sugar hit after Bolton - sent the kids back and brought in the older players and got a few wins.

Since then - not much chop.

He has beaten I think 1 maybe two teams from the 8 since he landed - he has only beaten 4 separate clubs since we last met doggies at the start of 2020.

3 Games have been played by players taken in the national draft who have debuted under Teague since he became coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will never forget Parkin in the 95 Preliminary final versus North pick up the phone, veins bulging, and give a fearsome spray to the player at the other end !

we were 10 goals up!

25 and a half years later and I still remember my brother commenting on it. 😂

Making "I don't give a stuff" statements when your record is as ordinary as his, makes him look rather idiotic. You can be as arrogant as you like if you're winning games, but there are multiple fundamental flaws in his approach, so he should be taking on all the feedback he can get at this point. While there are flog journos telling him his problems, there are also highly insightful former coaches and players with far greater success than what he has achieved as a player or coach saying a lot of the same things.

He can say that all he likes - he's not the messiah and plenty of people with as much or more experience than him vehemently disagree.

Gibbons should NOT be picked after 75% game time with 5 possessions when others were smashing down the door.

He clearly plays favourites, has stated very clearly he wont make statements at the selection table and thats clear. He prefers playing the older players as thats what got him his first sugar hit after Bolton - sent the kids back and brought in the older players and got a few wins.

Since then - not much chop.

He has beaten I think 1 maybe two teams from the 8 since he landed - he has only beaten 4 separate clubs since we last met doggies at the start of 2020.

3 Games have been played by players taken in the national draft who have debuted under Teague since he became coach.
3 Games have been played by players taken in the national draft who have debuted under Teague since he became coach."

Wow that is a crazy stat.

That was Parkin in a good mood. In all seriousness, Parkin was about standards and doing those unconditional things and the team were drilled. Not to mention we had leadership everywhere from Sticks, Diesel, SOS, Dean, McKay, Sexton, Ratten and Bradley. Then look at the additions to the team who were cast offs like Manton, Clape, Pearce and a first year Camporeale who just thrived.

Don't forget Matthew Hogg :) Great player

Bit of hardnosed reality in the press conference for all the armchair experts...that actually have zero idea what it takes

Teaguey says...I dont give a stuff what anyone thinks, we pick the best available team to win but we just arent good enough yet.

Amen to that honesty

Honesty is good... but I feel like he cheated the rebuild. Bolts probably could have won a few more games by playing the vets in their best spots and telling everyone to "play free" and all that la la rubbish that teague did and is still doing.

Last edited:
Teague has beaten three teams inside the top 8 since he has been at the club.

Brisbane, Geelong and Western Bulldogs.

He has made it absolutely abundantly clear - stated specifically - he will not be making a statement at the selection table - and has made it very clear he wont be developing the kids.

I like Teague and think he is one of our better and more enlightened choices in 21 years - but he has some very, VERY serious flaws and he needs to be confronted and either forced to accept he has short comings, or if he can not do that - shown the door.

Why ?

Because failing to develop the kids costs us as a club even after he is gone. They will start walking - we will lose Obrien, Dow, SPS - all of whom are fine players - due to his determination to play Gibbons, Cas, Newnes.

Great coach who is at the start of his career who needs to accept he has some short comings.

When did he say this?

In Sundays team the following players who played no games (at least virtually none) last year = Fogarty, Parks, Owies, Cottrill and Stocker.

Good thing he doesn't want to develop kids or there wouldn't be anyone over 23 in the team.

3 Games have been played by players taken in the national draft who have debuted under Teague since he became coach."

Wow that is a crazy stat.
How many players is that in reality though? Kemp and Philp are injured, Ramsay is a third round pick in his second year after a covid interrupted year. Carroll has been injured, durdin is in his first year and was pick 40ish. Who else could he have played to meet this criteria?

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

except if you want premiership experience!!
Which other coaches out there have PREMIERSHIP experience???
Mark Williams the only one that comes to mind.
And what Premiership experience does David Teague have exactly??
Ross Lyon made it to the GF 3 times and came very close to winning.
Does anyone honestly believe that this team is headed to a GF any time soon?
Maybe St.Kilda of 08-11 were star studded and Freo of 13-15 but it still takes someone to put them together.
None of those teams made a GF before he took over.
Do we have enough stars though, that's what I'd be asking.
ATM half of them always seem to be injured.
Fact is we've had a horrible run with injury the past few years.
Hard to get a gauge on where we're really at without a full side on the park.

When did he say this?

In Sundays team the following players who played no games (at least virtually none) last year = Fogarty, Parks, Owies, Cottrill and Stocker.

Good thing he doesn't want to develop kids or there wouldn't be anyone over 23 in the team.

Teague has played Philp and Honey laast year. Philp i scoming back from injury s is Honey - apparently Carroll was going to get a game before he broke his thumb.

Myth that Teague doesn't play kids AFAIC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back