Remove this Banner Ad

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
OK, I’m an unabashed Teague fan so far. As an intangible, I think he saw a chance to jag a finals appearance in an atypical season and he backed in some hard, experienced nuts to get him there, to a fault.

He will, hopefully, see a need to diversify the midfield rotations and develop skills going into 2021. Through the middle assault and diversify the backline to unleash some rebound potential. We are one of the few side who run a traditional high shoulder defence as opposed to team structure. We are sadly missing Weitering’s capacity to intercept and rebound.

Might see a very different Carlton in 2021.

Last edited:

I reckon Teague's game style and game plan needs a serious look at by him and hsi team - do we have qualified assistants that can help here?

The forward line has looked dysfunctional for months now - with only Harry's natural ability allowing for any semblance of effectiveness. Levi has led defenders into harry's contests McGovern hasn't anywhere to run to and smalls haven't been defending with enough pressure. Teague isn't a stranger to forward line play it is strange how poorly we have structured and played in forward six - maybe lack of continuity of personnel upfront has contributed to this - too many changes all the time with smalls and HFF in particular - Teague has to take some serious responsibility for this lack of cohesion in front of goals.

Transition through the arcs is also pretty ordinary it seems HBF at Carlton has been ordered to stay put - they hardly venture out of defensive 50 unless a ball up / clearance situation is well entrenched in our fifty - at which point for whatever reason our ruck is also camped in the forward line - instead of plugging a hole a kick behind play - which would make it easier to stop the incessant rebound running and corridor kicking we cop against everyone. Teh HBFs are never running through at center bounces to provide overlap running - this forces hasty kicks into 50 when we do win the center clearance - which is more often than not...

These two in combination makes our attack look pedestrian - which it has been pretty much since we lost to Hawthorn.

I don't think a minder will help this situation - this is a game plan / game style Teague has adopted - a retrograde step in my book - but probably a serious nod to playing more conservative as long as finals were a chance - ironically this too defensive game style has also leaked runs of goals in far too many games both sides of the bye.

Teague has to take the best out of the attacking style he had and remove the crabby / gutless style he enforced in second half - doesn't he?

I guess the only mitigating factor has been too often far too many behinds or OOB for the number of entries we actually make -and against this is the sloppy slow high ball kicks emanating from a win ball kick it long under pressure exits from center bounces and ball ups we get between the arcs when is an I50 not really an inside 50?

I have to admit this overly defensive game style ( which doesn't even stop runs of goals against us) have me a tad less confident about him and his team than I was at the beginning of the year.

There is far too much talent at Carlton to play this very conservative and slow game style isn't there?

I'm happy to give him a pass this year. First year coach who never got to train his full group together. Not much of a chance to do anything different or even teach a game plan properly. It's been too much of a disjointed year, I'm just happy to have been able to see some footy played, can't really take too much else from it.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm happy to give him a pass this year. First year coach who never got to train his full group together. Not much of a chance to do anything different or even teach a game plan properly. It's been too much of a disjointed year, I'm just happy to have been able to see some footy played, can't really take too much else from it.

:clapping:

Triniboy

All Australian
Sep 26, 2011
Caribbean
AFL Club
Carlton
That stat will only get worse if Covid-19 is still around next year.

The big issue that many are failing to discuss is our inability to train full match simulation and integrate everyone into a single team drill to practice our structures.

As it stands, I believe they can only practice in groups of 8 or so, which means they can't practice team structures the way they would in a normal season.
All teams are in the same position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All teams are in the same position

Yes they appear to be but not all teams have the number of inexperienced players we do, learning about how their teammates play, they don't have a first year coach trying to implement his own game plan. It's not difficult to see that the same conditions can have a different effect on different clubs. So, therefore, no, not all teams are in the same position at all.

DogFaceBoy

Draftee
Sep 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
100% agree with this. Fingers crossed next season is a little more normal, can't imagine it being 100% the case given circumstances. I think the ability to train as full group and train match simulation it will help fix a lot of the issues we have. Particularly momentum swings and forward 50 entries.
Hopefully add some midfield class and get some injured players back (Charlie, Marchbank, Newman). Then I would fully expect to a finals calibre side.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I love Teague but he definitely needs to improve on a few areas.
1. Stop the run of goals. 18 times in 28 games we have had a 5 goal run kicked on us.
2. Switch it up. When Teague was caretaker he used to make changes mid game to good effect. Now it just seems to be set and forget until it’s to late.
3. Get some quality assistants in. He needs some experienced heads to bring out the best in the players - stoppages, defensive and offensive transition and everything in the forward line needs a revamp.
4. Stop having favourites. Preaches earning your spot but that doesn’t apply to his favourites McGov & Betts

Ricky Mott

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague is one of the most unimpressive coaches in the competition.
How did the club employ him?
Clearly has his favourites.
Time for Chris Judd to show leadership and direction.
Ratts was our man and we end up with Mr Boring!

DogFaceBoy

Draftee
Sep 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague is one of the most unimpressive coaches in the competition.
How did the club employ him?
Clearly has his favourites.
Time for Chris Judd to show leadership and direction.
Ratts was our man and we end up with Mr Boring!
The Ratts decision was a bad one but a while ago now.

My question is, what is wrong with Teague? Details please and take into account the strange season we're having and associated restrictions/impacts.

What exactly would you want in a new coach and how would that have helped this year?

Ricky Mott

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The Ratts decision was a bad one but a while ago now.

My question is, what is wrong with Teague? Details please and take into account the strange season we're having and associated restrictions/impacts.

What exactly would you want in a new coach and how would that have helped this year?
McGovern and Betts to start with? How do they get a game.

Poorman53

All Australian
Jan 12, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern and Betts to start with? How do they get a game.
Exactly! I've been slowly losing faith in the direction and decision makers and it stems from these decisions.

I was a lot more optimistic at the end of last season. Teague has to be more adaptable and stop playing favourites.

There is no integrity in selection atm.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
True, but SOS was head of list management when those 2 came to the club yeah?
Not a huge deal but he also selected Finbar O'Dwyer in the national draft, which is without doubt the most ridiculous piece of drafting I've ever seen (like, come on SOS, if you want to draft your son's mate just use your last rookie pick, nobody else had even heard of him).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back