David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never particularly liked David Warner, and have been very harsh on him since the sandpaper suspension. But he has a 12 month suspension, and once that is done, he is entitled to be considered for selection just like everyone else. And as he is one of our best batsmen in all formats, I expect to see him back almost immediately.

Yep. It's the role of the selectors to pick the best 12 players available to them. If he fits this bill, and he probably does, then he should be selected. Once picked, the rest is up to him. He knows the microscope will be upon him and if he steps out of line he will pay the price.

Warner is probably the scapegoat of the supposedly pure and holier than though Cricket Australia who apparently want
everything to be totally above board...

Having said that let me say this... dubious actions such as sandpaper, nails, buttons, and loose teeth are variously stupid in
terms of loading up a less than wise bowling attack.

we don't need this stupidity.. players will all get out with silly shots, or well catch a ball that is magical in its trajectory and so on...

Does Prince Harry play cricket? .. maybe he can organise a level of levity of lessons.. I know that the three lols are hard to attach
to normal mindsets but we need to scratch and come up with a better way of doing stuff...

Smith and Warner will be straight back in. Before the ball tampering episode, i don't think Bancroft had solidified his spot in the team but Justin Langer will bring him straight back in.

Smith and Warner will be straight back in. Before the ball tampering episode, i don't think Bancroft had solidified his spot in the team but Justin Langer will bring him straight back in.
For all Bancroft's technical deficiencies, he's made of the same grit that Langer was as a player. The bloke is tough, hard as nails, old school cricketer who I think will make a pretty handy test cricketer. He was our leading run scorer in the SA series and he looked to be getting comfortable at test level, making those starts and turning them into 50's.

I do hope they stick with Renshaw and show patience in him much like England did with Alistair Cook. Renshaw & Bancroft (left/right hand) combination could be a very strong opening partnership for a long time ahead.

Is there any chance that Warner emerges from all this having learned some humility, scaled back his abrasive in-your-face on field persona and finishes his career as a more mature player/person?

When it first happened I thought he'd never play for Australia again but that's looking increasingly unlikely with every game we play.
I just hope that whatever issue caused him to leave the field in the grade game a while back is well and truly sorted ASAP.

I'm not naive enough to think he won't play a significant part in the mammoth World Cup / Ashes tour next year, a double event I'm not sure has a rival in any part of Australian cricket history?

He simply can't be walking off the field because of opposition and crowd taunts mid-innings. The scrutiny and subsequent pressure it would invite onto the team would be enormous.

That said, in isolation, removing himself from a combustible situation was actually a rather mature thing from him (oh the ******* irony!). Unfortunately, his past actions aren't easily forgotten and the incident would rightfully be viewed in full context.

I just hope that whatever issue caused him to leave the field in the grade game a while back is well and truly sorted ASAP.

I'm not naive enough to think he won't play a significant part in the mammoth World Cup / Ashes tour next year, a double event I'm not sure has a rival in any part of Australian cricket history?

He simply can't be walking off the field because of opposition and crowd taunts mid-innings. The scrutiny and subsequent pressure it would invite onto the team would be enormous.

That said, in isolation, removing himself from a combustible situation was actually a rather mature thing from him (oh the ******* irony!). Unfortunately, his past actions aren't easily forgotten and the incident would rightfully be viewed in full context.
Unfortunately he will be the focus of a raised level of attention from other teams :(

we'd like to hope so .. the twin set of the aussie front and tiny left right are what is needed.. why can't
we get the current boys on board?

Botham dumbest thing ever on cricket field ( Sydney tonite )

"English cricket legend Sir Ian Botham has taken an extraordinary swipe at David Warner, saying he would have banned him for 30 years for his role in the South African ball-tampering scandal.

Speaking on Thursday at the SCG where he was launching a new range of Australian wines, Botham described the incident as probably the dumbest thing he’s seen in cricket.

“I just can’t get my head around it. It was so stupid,” he said.

“I’ve seen some dumb things in my time and I have to say that was the dumbest. It was so, so obvious.”

year-long bans for Warner and Steve Smith, as well as a nine-month ban for Cameron Bancroft.

Botham, who played 103 Tests for England between 1977 and 1992, had sympathy for Bancroft, and Smith to a lesser extent.

“Cameron Bancroft was in the wrong place at the wrong time – young player, do as you’re told,” he said.

“The captain’s the one I can’t work out. I don’t understand what Steve Smith – whether he just fell on his sword to deflect it from the other players I don’t know”.

But his contempt for Warner was clear.

“As for the other guy, I’d have given him a 30-year ban,” he said.

“If you live by the sword, you’ve got to die by the sword.”
Botham revealed how a number of Aussie greats reacted at the time in commentary.

“You can hear a couple of the Aussie boys in the commentary box down the back – and I think one of them might have been SK Warne – and all you can hear is ‘Oh no!’,” he said.

He took a dig at Warner for his mid-innings walk-off in Sydney grade cricket recently.

“You cannot give it out and when someone gives it back, you walk off the ground with the bat under your arm and have to be persuaded to come back. Weird, very weird,” Sir Ian said.

Botham went on to predict it would not be an enjoyable summer for the Aussies, who face India in a crunch Test series.

“I think you’ll enjoy the series, but I don’t think you’ll enjoy the result,” he said."

"English cricket legend Sir Ian Botham has taken an extraordinary swipe at David Warner, saying he would have banned him for 30 years for his role in the South African ball-tampering scandal.

Speaking on Thursday at the SCG where he was launching a new range of Australian wines, Botham described the incident as probably the dumbest thing he’s seen in cricket.

“I’ve seen some dumb things in my time and I have to say that was the dumbest. It was so, so obvious.”

year-long bans for Warner and Steve Smith, as well as a nine-month ban for Cameron Bancroft.

Botham, who played 103 Tests for England between 1977 and 1992, had sympathy for Bancroft, and Smith to a lesser extent.

“Cameron Bancroft was in the wrong place at the wrong time – young player, do as you’re told,” he said.

“The captain’s the one I can’t work out. I don’t understand what Steve Smith – whether he just fell on his sword to deflect it from the other players I don’t know”.

Botham revealed how a number of Aussie greats reacted at the time in commentary.

“You can hear a couple of the Aussie boys in the commentary box down the back – and I think one of them might have been SK Warne – and all you can hear is ‘Oh no!’,” he said.

He took a dig at Warner for his mid-innings walk-off in Sydney grade cricket recently.

“You cannot give it out and when someone gives it back, you walk off the ground with the bat under your arm and have to be persuaded to come back. Weird, very weird,” Sir Ian said.

Botham went on to predict it would not be an enjoyable summer for the Aussies, who face India in a crunch Test series.

“I think you’ll enjoy the series, but I don’t think you’ll enjoy the result,” he said."
Personally, I would never pick Warner again for Australia.

I agree with the gist of that. Botham's a jerk though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old mate knows how to get publicity for whatever he's selling this week.

Shikar Dhawan takes the Aussie attack to pieces
47f5f21229dca7e82645ddd125810b7d

a252b40fda583145474d7037b4137707

"Cricket Australia (CA) has taken the unprecedented step of scheduling an Ashes warm-up match in England between Australia’s best 22 players, desperate to bolster Justin Langer’s bid to retain the urn.

Australia will face Australia A next year, with the four-day game expected to serve as the tourists’ final tune-up before the first Test begins at Edgbaston on August 1.

It’s understood the match will take place at the Rose Bowl in Hampshire, starting on July 23.

The World Cup final is on July 14 at Lord’s, leaving little time between the one-day tournament and showpiece Test series.

The Australia A game is likely to be particularly important for suspended superstars Steve Smith and David Warner, who both met with Langer recently and are expected to be part of Australia’s World Cup defence.

One of the main arguments cited during the recent push for Smith and Warner to play the second half of the Sheffield Shield season was that denying them first- class cricket in 2019 could have a knock-on effect regarding their hopes of Ashes selection."

I hightlighted this one .
Picked this up on news .com. I was going to give the junro "a right talking too," but could Not find him AAP
its tough being a superstar ( big lift from cricketer , star ) i rest my case

Personally, I would never pick Warner again for Australia.
I am with this - but typically with Australian sport, he will be welcomed back with the publicists changing punishment and shame to adversity and salvation. Smith and Bancroft should come back but Warner, I don't really want him to. End of the day, the sport is bigger than the individual, which is something people like Warner and Michael Clarke seem to forget (particularly Clarke given his current shenanigans through the media).

I am with this - but typically with Australian sport, he will be welcomed back with the publicists changing punishment and shame to adversity and salvation. Smith and Bancroft should come back but Warner, I don't really want him to. End of the day, the sport is bigger than the individual, which is something people like Warner and Michael Clarke seem to forget (particularly Clarke given his current shenanigans through the media).

Interesting to see the shitshow playing out in the media. It reads as a fight over the soul of Australian cricket, brought into focus by Clarke's legacy. You could interpret this as essentially Clarke saying "Australian cricket is me, I'm ok, Australian cricket ok". Interesting to see the people coming to his support too; some of whom I hold also responsible for the debacle of our recent years, such as Mark Waugh who surely should go down as the worst selector in CA history.

And in essence that is the point. For a lot of the public, and many players, there was a problem, and Clarke was part of it, indeed a central plank of it, the source of a toxic culture that created the environment in which the kind of s**t that went down became inevitable.

And until you admit that, indeed while you violently and agressively double down as he has done now with Gerard Whately, you are also telling people to expect more of the same. And I dont think the majority of the Cricket public in Australia will take that. It may play with, dare I say it, a small and likeminded base, but the general electorate are nauseated. He is basically performing a cricket version of Tony Abbott right now, when CA wants nothing more than to refresh and put it behind them.

And that matters for me too in the context of Warner. He is an unguided missile, and dumb. A strong and principled captain can rein him in. Another Clarke and we are in the s**t. If the message given to him is, you're the victim Davey, more of the same my OLED loving cobber, I dont want to watch that. Enough.

Interesting to see the shitshow playing out in the media. It reads as a fight over the soul of Australian cricket, brought into focus by Clarke's legacy. You could interpret this as essentially Clarke saying "Australian cricket is me, I'm ok, Australian cricket ok". Interesting to see the people coming to his support too; some of whom I hold also responsible for the debacle of our recent years, such as Mark Waugh who surely should go down as the worst selector in CA history.

And in essence that is the point. For a lot of the public, and many players, there was a problem, and Clarke was part of it, indeed a central plank of it, the source of a toxic culture that created the environment in which the kind of s**t that went down became inevitable.

And until you admit that, indeed while you violently and agressively double down as he has done now with Gerard Whately, you are also telling people to expect more of the same. And I dont think the majority of the Cricket public in Australia will take that. It may play with, dare I say it, a small and likeminded base, but the general electorate are nauseated. He is basically performing a cricket version of Tony Abbott right now, when CA wants nothing more than to refresh and put it behind them.

And that matters for me too in the context of Warner. He is an unguided missile, and dumb. A strong and principled captain can rein him in. Another Clarke and we are in the s**t. If the message given to him is, you're the victim Davey, more of the same my OLED loving cobber, I dont want to watch that. Enough.
Bang on there - CA is a joke and people like Clarke/Waugh are destroying the game many of us enjoyed watching over the years.

Nice analogy with Tony Abbott there. As an ex-Lib voter, I could go on for hours about that guy.

Michael Clarke came into the side when the senior players were Hayden, Langer, Warne, McGrath, Lehmann, et al. The culture was already there, but unlike those guys, he was too young to remember when we were a terrible side. So he sees the aggressive approach, Australia wining a lot and thinks that's the only way to do it. And when you are winning, people tend to forgive it a bit more. And then guess who is captain when ol' Davey makes the team?

Unfortunately, Clarke's not smart enough to go with the flow, and he's so self-centered that he thinks its all about him. The comments coming from Katich would have stung him even more. But all he had to do with say "yeah, time's have changed and good luck to the boys" - instead he looks like, well, Tony Abbott.

Nice analogy with Tony Abbott there. As an ex-Lib voter, I could go on for hours about that guy.

Michael Clarke came into the side when the senior players were Hayden, Langer, Warne, McGrath, Lehmann, et al. The culture was already there, but unlike those guys, he was too young to remember when we were a terrible side. So he sees the aggressive approach, Australia wining a lot and thinks that's the only way to do it. And when you are winning, people tend to forgive it a bit more. And then guess who is captain when ol' Davey makes the team?

Unfortunately, Clarke's not smart enough to go with the flow, and he's so self-centered that he thinks its all about him. The comments coming from Katich would have stung him even more. But all he had to do with say "yeah, time's have changed and good luck to the boys" - instead he looks like, well, Tony Abbott.
Reckon the telling part of his response was it was aimed only at Gerald Wheatley and included the comments about him not being good enough or courageous enough to play cricket at the top level.

The things I found most interesting were:

1. Clarke chose to use this absolutely stupid tactic of attacking Whately’s credentials. For starters, you don’t have to be a test cricketer to understand sportsmanship or indeed cricket. Secondly, where is Clarke’s f***ing media degree? Doesn’t exist? Well get off my f***ing television.

2. They still don’t get it. He and Hayden in particular who has also come out at a speaking engagement and had a verbal thrashwank about ‘the aggression and the Australian way.’
No one is saying don’t be aggressive, don’t play hard. People are saying that being aggressive and hard doesn’t have to involve an endless stream of verbal abuse and tough guy bullshit. Brian Lara was as hard as nails - hardly said a word. The most intimidating cricketer in history - IVA Richards - never had to open his mouth to put the fear of god into his opposition. They keep saying ‘Australia got to the top on the 1990s on the back of the all out attack mantra.’ They got on top because their skills were out of this world and no one scared them. It had nothing to do with their backward point standing there saying ‘you’re a f***en s**t c***.’

1. Clarke chose to use this absolutely stupid tactic of attacking Whately’s credentials. For starters, you don’t have to be a test cricketer to understand sportsmanship or indeed cricket. Secondly, where is Clarke’s f***ing media degree? Doesn’t exist? Well get off my f***ing television.

2. They still don’t get it. He and Hayden in particular who has also come out at a speaking engagement and had a verbal thrashwank about ‘the aggression and the Australian way.’
No one is saying don’t be aggressive, don’t play hard. People are saying that being aggressive and hard doesn’t have to involve an endless stream of verbal abuse and tough guy bullshit. Brian Lara was as hard as nails - hardly said a word. The most intimidating cricketer in history - IVA Richards - never had to open his mouth to put the fear of god into his opposition. They keep saying ‘Australia got to the top on the 1990s on the back of the all out attack mantra.’ They got on top because their skills were out of this world and no one scared them. It had nothing to do with their backward point standing there saying ‘you’re a f***en s**t c***.’

They are reminding of nothing so much as Brad Macnamara's response to the Geoff Lemmon article. Its the same stuff, delivered with as much finesse and class, from the same kind of people.

What I find interesting is that we have a really good example of a team that is playing good cricket, in the right way with the right attitude in front of us (almost the antithesis of the Australian Mens Cricket Team) in the Australian Womens Team. It was a pure delight to watch over the last couple of weeks of what a team to be proud of and respected looks like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back