David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be glad to see the back of him. Yes when he scores runs he is worth watching but he is too hit or miss.

His sledging and sooking when someone fires back is pathetic.

I don't recall that, not saying it didn't happen because Hookey was that kind of player for sure.

West Indies U19 toured in '88 and played a game at North Sydney Oval. Heaps of people turned up to watch one Brian Lara, there is a story that Hookey was pissed, sitting on the hill abusing the s**t out of Lara while he was batting.
Sounds like a real winner...

If what had been alleged is true then the little *er should never be in the side again.

You can tolerate ty sledging, the general brain dead approach to his batting, and all of the other collateral. But not cheating. Little s**t.

Yeh, the "Warner is just a slogger" argument is baseless. He averages just under 50 from 74 games. Say what you want about bowlers over the last decade, that's still an impressive record.

Agree with the OP though. He's too volatile to have any kind of leadership role in the team and his performances over the last 6 months are barely justifying his place at the top of the order. We've cut him plenty of slack over the years, but it's time to move on.

How much of modern day batsmen's averages can be attributed to pitches which are consistently roads? Australia very rarely produces a pitch that does anything. There are a lot of batsmen with very good averages over the last 20 years. Are they that much better than their 70's/80's contemporaries or are they flat track sloggers?

Crash Craddock perfect article in today's Hun. Details how Warner taunted CA about the pay dispute and how CA loathe him. He cannot play another Test surely because as Craddock correctly says 'If Warner did play another Test, it would not be as a senior leader, but as a relic of a stained era and you wonder how he would jell with a team trying to move on from the mess he helped create.'

Crash Craddock perfect article in today's Hun. Details how Warner taunted CA about the pay dispute and how CA loathe him. He cannot play another Test surely because as Craddock correctly says 'If Warner did play another Test, it would not be as a senior leader, but as a relic of a stained era and you wonder how he would jell with a team trying to move on from the mess he helped create.'

And this is the bit people need to understand.

Sure, "everybody does ball tampering" and they've got light penalties.

But instead of good faith, win win negotiations, DW left a bitter taste in CA's mouths. He may have got what he wanted at the time, but the relationship suffered.

In such a scenario, CA just needed a trigger to "get medieval on his ass". CA would have asked themselves if his level of involvement in the ball tampering enough of a trigger.

The Australian public, media, and most of the cricket fraternity have given them the answer they needed, loud and as crystal clear as a brand new OLED.

I disagree with this line - "He's the leader, and if he can't control a teammate then he shouldn't be. If he didn't know about the plan beforehand, that means he lied about it afterwards."

If he cannot control Warner then Warner should not be there.
Also in today's Hun was an article by Ben Horne who suggests that Sutherland should step down because of the player's refusal to adhere to mission statements regarding behavior and the spirit of cricket. It goes on to list prior bust ups like Symonds, Warner, Warne on Samuels. I am not entirely sold on the idea of Sutherland stepping down over this, but he will need to impose stiff penalties to put the fear of God into the team that transgressions will not be tolerated.

Crash ain't a huge fan of Warner , his probably been sitting on a fair bit of stuff that will gradually come out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has only ever been a KFC Big Basher in my eyes, the fact he has a spot in the test team just shows how crap cricket has become.

He comes across as a bit of a dick and his ego far outweighs his cricket ability, for this reason I am not really surprised that he would stoop this low to gain an unfair advantage.

It might not be a bad idea to keep it sensible, this statement is just nonsense!

I disagree with this line - "He's the leader, and if he can't control a teammate then he shouldn't be. If he didn't know about the plan beforehand, that means he lied about it afterwards."

If he cannot control Warner then Warner should not be there.
I think it goes both ways

Warner was just a very poor choice as a VC , would like to know how that decision came about . Especially under a novice skipper
Your not picking one for your club or grade side who you hope will work , its the Australian side. Its been a huge blunder

If Smith cant control the VC what's to say he cant control any of the other players ?
If the lead up to what happened is correct ( and who really knows ?) then he failed a huge leadership test in my book

Not only Crash either I don't think. There will be past players waiting to air the laundry and it won't be pretty.
There will be quite a line I feel !

Would love to hear Shane Watsons thoughts on all this , has been very quite post retirement
Think he would have great insight to Warner , Smith and the dressing room dynamic

Also in today's Hun was an article by Ben Horne who suggests that Sutherland should step down because of the player's refusal to adhere to mission statements regarding behavior and the spirit of cricket. It goes on to list prior bust ups like Symonds, Warner, Warne on Samuels. I am not entirely sold on the idea of Sutherland stepping down over this, but he will need to impose stiff penalties to put the fear of God into the team that transgressions will not be tolerated.

I do think someone has to answer for how the culture of the team has been allowed to develop. Maybe that is Sutherland. It is almost certainly Lehman.

This has been on the cards for a long time. I agree with some of the diehard defenders of cricket that what has happened is not really even that bad relatively speaking - players have been rubbing the ball with all sorts of stuff for ever.

But a lot of people have been waiting for this slip up, particularly by Warner, for a long time and now they are baying for blood.

There needs to be massive culture change and I am not sure anyone associated with this from the top down can manage that. Every single one of them has completely underestimated the whole thing and how pissed off the Australian public are with the behaviour of their cricket team over a long period.

I think it goes both ways

Warner was just a very poor choice as a VC , would like to know how that decision came about . Especially under a novice skipper
Your not picking one for your club or grade side who you hope will work , its the Australian side. Its been a huge blunder

If Smith cant control the VC what's to say he cant control any of the other players ?
If the lead up to what happened is correct ( and who really knows ?) then he failed a huge leadership test in my book

No one could ever control mark Jacko Jackson. Hence he was traded numerous times and ultimately let out of the system. You cannot control everyone.

It has to be said, for a long time the Australian cricket team has played favourites. You get promoted if you are on the "inside" and you get completely and utterly ostracised if you are on the "outside".

So the question is how did a culture develop where Warner is one of the first picked on the "inside"? When it is plainly obvious to everyone that he is a complete knob.

No one could ever control mark Jacko Jackson. Hence he was traded numerous times and ultimately let out of the system. You cannot control everyone.

It has to be said, for a long time the Australian cricket team has played favourites. You get promoted if you are on the "inside" and you get completely and utterly ostracised if you are on the "outside".

So the question is how did a culture develop where Warner is one of the first picked on the "inside"? When it is plainly obvious to everyone that he is a complete knob.

Because Warner has comfortably been in our best two or three bats for years, and has played in a time where everyone bemoans our lack of batting depth.

Doesnt hurt to be from NSW either.

Success excuses many failings.

I agree with half of that, he’s being thrown under the bus it would seem but I don’t think everyone was in on it. I’m guessing they assumed it was the usual sweets, sugar etc stuff going on
If you are the bowler I think you'd notice though.

Because Warner has comfortably been in our best two or three bats for years, and has played in a time where everyone bemoans our lack of batting depth.

Doesnt hurt to be from NSW either.

Success excuses many failings.

That may be true but there a lot of players who are also arguably in the best 6 bats in the country who never get a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back