David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Not remotely is a big call, who from let's say the 70s onwards would you consider better?

Without thinking twice I'd still have Pietersen ahead of him.

And cricket was played for a long time before the 1970s so it wouldn't be hard to come up with other names. Hutton, Hammond, Compton and Hobbs come instantly to mind. Barrington too if you're statistically minded.

Without thinking twice I'd still have Pietersen ahead of him.

And cricket was played for a long time before the 1970s so it wouldn't be hard to come up with other names. Hutton, Hammond, Compton and Hobbs come instantly to mind. Barrington too if you're statistically minded.

Pietersen is a great player, I do think however that the English team benefited a bit from Australia being at their weakest post 06/07. Pietersen/Cook had big series in 10/11 but struggled once we got back to having a great bowling attack.

Joe Root has faced very consistent bowling, not to mention he averages 50 in India, mostly playing against Ashwin/Jadeja who as we're seeing are probably the best ever in such conditions. With how Smith is going this series, Root will probably finish with a better record over there which is a pretty big effort.

Hard to place the older players as they didn't have the same tests overseas - Bradman is the exception to that for me as he was so far ahead of anyone else.

On that subject, Root has been far and away better than anyone else in the England line up since he started. It's pretty much only now they're starting to have some consistency in the batting line-up. Given the team and the challenges he's faced, I'd rate him as England's best. There was a period were he was falling away (struggling to convert 50s to 100s) but he conquered that too and has scored a ridiculous amount of tons over the last few years.

We'll see how he ends but I don't think it's longevity with him, he's top quality. I'd say Alastair Cook is a better example for longevity, he was pretty ordinary for the most part after Strauss retired.

Last edited:
Joe Root has never scored a hundred in Australia - he'll likely go down as England's best ever bat.

Don't think anyone is arguing Warner is an all-time great like Sachin or Ponting, just that he's been a very good opener.

Root has delivered in India.

In terms of best English bat.

His record in Australia record should keep him behind Cook imo simply because Cook 2010/11 series broke our spirit he was almost unpenetrable.

Root has delivered in India.

In terms of best English bat.

His record in Australia record should keep him behind Cook imo simply because Cook 2010/11 series broke our spirit he was almost unpenetrable.
I always loved how our bowlers never worked out that Cook is strong on the cut and square drive.

We seemed to feed him a steady diet of half trackers outside off that entire series.

I can seem him getting "Slatered" during the Ashes. I'll be very surprised if he's fit and isn't selected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on him and God Bless him.

Hang em up on a high.

Right up ya Mitchell Johnson. Bitch.

So far Johnson hasn’t been that wrong just could have said it in a better way. He’s had a good career but he’s failed 3 in 4 digs this summer. Would it have been better blooding our next opener in a series we were always winning, there’s no perfect answer there and so get both sides to the argument.

Okay he also said he'd comeback for the Champions Trophy if he was still playing well 🤷

surely he can't pick and choose.

he's either retired or he's not.

if marsh and head are the openers and playing well - he just doesn't walk back into the side in 18 months time. in any case he'll be going on 39.

in saying that there's only 14 odi's on the horizon before the champions trophy 3 v WI (home) , 3 V AFG (away), 5 v ENG (away), 3 v PAK (home next summer).

surely he can't pick and choose.

he's either retired or he's not.

if marsh and head are the openers and playing well - he just doesn't walk back into the side in 18 months time. in any case he'll be going on 39.

in saying that there's only 14 odi's on the horizon before the champions trophy 3 v WI (home) , 3 V AFG (away), 5 v ENG (away), 3 v PAK (home next summer).

I don't expect the Afghanistan ODI games to tale place, so it's probably 11 games until the Champions Trophy.

So far Johnson hasn’t been that wrong just could have said it in a better way. He’s had a good career but he’s failed 3 in 4 digs this summer. Would it have been better blooding our next opener in a series we were always winning, there’s no perfect answer there and so get both sides to the argument.
2 digs - I wouldn't call 38 a fail.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

which he will have no chance

once you are gone you are gone ...you can't just pick and choose

great innings though well played Davey
It was a silly thing to say and I hope it doesn't happen, but he'd hardly be the first guy to un-retire. And players make themselves unavailable for short periods all the time - birth of children, family illness, Glenn Maxwell even skipped a tour to get married. And who could forget things like Greg Chappell's "business interests"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back