Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Leek Alleer going first round, well thats a shock AND Campbell Chesser going to WCE, some interesting surprises tonight...

Sheldrick to the swans wowee.

Last edited:

1. North - Jason Horne-Francis
2. WB - Sam Darcy
3. GWS - Finn Callaghan
4. Coll - Nick Daicos
5. GCS - Mac Andrew
6. Adel - Josh Rachele
7. Haw - Josh Ward
8. Frem - Jye Amiss
9. Rich - Josh Gibcus
10. Frem - Neil Erasmus
11. StKilda - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
12. Port - Josh Sinn
13. Ess - Ben Hobbs
14. WCE - Campbell Chesser
15. GWS - Leek Alleer
16. Bris - Darcy Wilmot
17. Rich - Tom Brown
18. Syd - Angus Sheldrick
19. Melb - Jacob Van Rooyen
20. Bris - Kai Lohmann

what an interesting end to that first round, theres some gold to be had in the 2nd round, thats for sure.....

from my PoV im going to rank the draft hauls of each club, lets see if my PoV will annoy some people :D

Adel - 6.Rachele, 36.Soligo, 44.Taylor (r.Nankervis), i like all of their picks where they went, Rachele is a high quality kid, Soligo is good without too much hype, and Taylor even though i thought he was over rated a bit goes in the 40's which is good value, Nankervis is the perfect rookie pick as he has a lot of skill but is a bit slim and a bit of a project (A , great draft for the picks they had)

Bris - 16.Wilmot, 20.Lohmann, 41.Tunstill, another good draft haul, all 3 are quality, maybe Lohmann went a bit early, so that downgrades the haul a little (B , good draft haul, maybe reaching for Lohmann)

Carl - 27.Motlop, only 1 pick and it isnt the most exciting pick, Motlop was a bit pedestrian in the WA V SA games, has some skill and played well in the WAFL, for me he is a bit of a reach here so i think the draft overall was not great for the blues (D+ only 1 pick and it wasnt the most exciting from my PoV)

Coll - 4.Daicos, 45.Draper, 49.Murley, 52.Harrison (r.Dean) a bit of a mixed bag, Daicos is obviously a great prospect, Dean is great value in the rookie draft, Draper went about where i valued him, Murley and Harrison i wouldnt have drafted as i didnt overly like their games or form, but they are late picks so you cant be too harsh (C+ for a couple of guns and some interesting potential in the later picks)

Ess - 13.Hobbs, 46.Lord, 50.McDonagh (r. P.Voss) Hobbs was a great get, Lord is a value pick late as a decent flanker, P.Voss is an interesting rookie KPF (B , for the picks they had they got interesting prospects and the mystery man McDonagh)

Frem - 8.Amiss, 10.Erasmus, 21.Johnson, 54.Benning (r.Worner) had a perfect draft, picked 3 quality with their first 3 picks then got the exciting Benning late and an interesting player in Worner (A+ couldnt have hoped for a better result)

Geel - 24.Conway, 25.Knevitt, 32.Willis, 48.Kroeger, 64.Whyte (r.Dempsey) some mystery picks and some value with Knevitt, Conway and Willis, very clever drafting, keen eye for talent and taking a couple of home grown talents with high value (B+ for their picks they got top value)

GCS - 5.Andrew, 63.Constable (PSD.Thompson)(r.Casboult), they brought in a few experienced players along with Andrew, i think Andrew has some ability but is raw and so has a high ceiling, but a low floor which is a risk, but he is a smart kid and could become anything (C+ even though they went early on Andrew i still rate the pick, Constable Thompson and Casboult dont fill me with confidence, but maybe they need depth and so they add to their depth?

GWS - 3.Callaghan, 15.Alleer, 42.Fahey (r.C.Hamilton), they had a great draft, Callaghan is a quality prospect, Fahey i had in my top 15 and he got bid on very late, Alleer is an exciting talent and if he can get his disposal right he could be great, Hamilton is a solid prospect and is high impact per poss, just a tough country lad that plays hbf or mid (A , used every pick to its best value, maybe reached for Alleer, but i dont mind it because he is very comparable to Aliir Aliir and i rate Alliir Alliir)

Haw - 7.Ward, 23.Butler, 26.MacDonald, 53.J.Serong (r.Long) Ward and MacDonald are great picks, Butler i think was taken early, but is decent, although there were other prospects that were much more exciting at the pick, Serong was not one i saw being drafted, but good luck to him, Long saved it in the rookie draft for me, love it (B , really added to a disappointing midfield, Ward could be the next Crawford im that excited by him and MacDonald is a great balanced mid, so stoked at those picks and if Butler has the improvement that others believe he has then he could be value too and i love the Long rookie pick so much)

Melb - 19.JVR, 39.Howes, 65.Woewodin (r.McVee) JVR was a great pick, i rate him highly, Howes went a bit early for me, Woewodin went about where he was rated and McVee was a bit of a surprise as i didnt think he developed much this year (C+ i usually love Melbournes draft hauls, but this year it left a bit to be desired)

North - 1.JHF, 22.Goater, 35.Curtis, 38.Bergman, 59.Archer, really good draft, JHF, Goater and Curtis are great picks, love them, Bergman is a solid pick mid/late and Archer is a kid i really liked as a defender for Northern Knights (A ,another really good draft from my PoV)

Port - 12.Sinn, 55.Jackson, 56.Visentini, 60.J.Burgoyne (r.Dumont), they only had 1 good pick and picked up Sinn a player with great attributes and highly rated but just lacks belief in himself a little, Jackson, Visentini and Burgoyne were late picks that might not have been drafted so good luck to them (C , didnt love this draft haul, a lot of late picks that arent very certain and Sinn who didnt cover himself in glory this year)

Rich - 9.Gibcus, 17.Brown, 28.Sonsie, 29.Banks, 30.Clarke, mixed bag, i thought Gibcus was a little over rated, same with Brown, Sonsie was a good pick at that stage, Banks i love that pick, Clarke i love that pick as well, a few would disagree but from my PoV the first 2 picks were average and then they nailed the 3 picks in the 2nd round to make it a good draft haul overall (B , 1st 2 picks are not my favourites, but the 2nd round full of quality and potential)

StK - 11.NWM, 33.Owens, 47.Windhager, 51.Adams, NWM was a great selection, he has been a standout for the last 2 years stepping up in all the big games and pressure situations that are thrown at him, has a great ability to take on anything thrown at him so has good ability and good mentals as well as good athletic abilities which is exciting, then they got both NGA's which are both highly rated, unfortunately Windhager is injured, but he is also a gun wing when fit, Adams was a late potential pick (A , 2 great wingers and a quality mid in good pick ranges, V A L U E)

Syd - 18.Sheldrick, 34.Roberts, 40.C.Warner, 58.Rankin, interesting draft haul, Sheldrick might have gone a little early, Roberts and Warner were underwhelming picks although Roberts could come good so a good potential pick there, Rankin a good late pick up too (D+ a bit underwhelming from my PoV)

WCE - 14.Chesser, 31.Hough, 37.Bazzo, 57.J.Williams, 62.Clark, a weird draft haul for WCE, Chesser is decent but has shown a few faults this year, Hough is exciting but in and out of games, Bazzo is a solid defender and a good backup for their ageing KPD, Williams was lucky to get drafted after being very lackluster this year and Clark is a veteran they hope can add to their depth (D , other than Bazzo theres not much value for picks imo)

Western - 2.Darcy, 43.Jones, 61.Cleary, some value picks, the best KPP in the draft at 2, Jones an exciting outside/inside mid who when he is on is an exciting prospect and Cleary the best 19 year old in the NAB League this year, quality half back who can intercept and has lovely disposal (B+ really good draft for their picks)

Last edited:
Davo-27 you might want to recall that Chad Warner, McInnerney, Rowbottom were all 'early calls' and all 3 have received Rising Star nominations and are Best 22.

I'll take my chances with Dalrymple and Kinnear thanks.

The Draft went how i thought it would with a few early surprises/reaches which happens every year, some of which work and some of which dont.

there seemed to be a top 15-20, Alleer, Sheldrick, Brown and Lohmann for Johnson, Goater, (Owens) and Knevitt was the first surprise of the nights

after the first round and a bit, Sonsie went where i thought he might go, Banks also went higher than people gave him credit for which i liked, Conway, MacDonald and Clarke all went around the mark where i thought they should, Butler went a bit early, i liked him more as a 30-50 pick so i hope for our sake he develops well, Hough, Willis, Roberts, Curtis, Soligo, Bazzo went where i thought they would, surprised Owens didnt attract a bid/take within the first 20 and GWS got value with a late bid on Fahey, Jones went where i thought he might, Taylor, Draper, Lord and Murley all went late like i thought they would, good to see Tunstill get drafted too, the end of the draft was a mess, but good to see Visentini, Rankin, Benning, Archer and Cleary get opportunities at the highest level.

after the drafts were all done, theres always a handful for whatever reason that dont get drafted, i think this year theres that unlucky few who might get opportunities in the PSS period and i know my club has 1 or 2 spots available at least

Morgan Ferres - medium forw - SA - played well in the state series
Josh Browne - balanced mid - WA - played well in the state series
Kade Dittmar - inside mid/sml forward - WA - played well in state series
Charlie Molan - half back - Vic C - played well in state series

others with outside chances:
Cooper Beecken(medium def), Yousef Dib(hbf), Toby Murray(KPF developing).

Last edited:
My Updated Tier List

(4)Elite: Daicos, JHF (Callaghan, Darcy)

(10)Top Tier: Hobbs, Erasmus, Ward, Goater, Amiss, Fahey, JVR, NWM, Johnson, Rachele

(18)Quality: Roberts, Sinn, Long, Knevitt, Bazzo, Gibcus, Andrew, Chesser, Conway, Banks, MacDonald, Browne, Draper, Sonsie, Wilmot, Dittmar, Clarke, Curtis

(38)Quality with some question marks: Molan, Windhager, Ferres, Hough, Aleer, Regan, Brown, Soligo, Owens, Jones, Tunstill, Lohmann, Taylor, Benning, C.Hamilton, Beecken, Rankin, Burgoyne, Jackson, Uwland, Motlop, Rayson, Archer, Willis, Sheldrick, Dib, Williams, Murray, Rossimel, H.Hamilton, Butler, Bergman, Howes, Morrison, Renold Fejo Jnr.

some potential train on players in red...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Updated Tier List

(4)Elite: Daicos, JHF (Callaghan, Darcy)

(10)Top Tier: Hobbs, Erasmus, Ward, Goater, Amiss, Fahey, JVR, NWM, Johnson, Rachele

(18)Quality: Roberts, Sinn, Long, Knevitt, Bazzo, Gibcus, Andrew, Chesser, Conway, Banks, MacDonald, Browne, Draper, Sonsie, Wilmot, Dittmar, Clarke, Curtis

(37)Quality with some question marks: Molan, Windhager, Ferres, Hough, Aleer, Regan, Brown, Soligo, Owens, Jones, Tunstill, Lohmann, Taylor, Benning, C.Hamilton, Beecken, Rankin, Burgoyne, Jackson, Uwland, Motlop, Rayson, Archer, Willis, Sheldrick, Dib, Williams, Murray, Rossimel, H.Hamilton, Butler, Bergman, Howes, (19 yr olds)Doultree, Trudgeon, Cleary, Gribble

Top 50 - October

1. Nick Daicos *
2. Jason Horne-Francis
3. Sam Darcy *
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Neil Erasmus
7. Josh Ward
8. Josh Goater
9. Jye Amiss
10. Josh Fahey *
11. Jacob Van Rooyen
12. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Matthew Roberts
14. Matthew Johnson
15. Josh Sinn
16. Josh Rachele
17. Ned Long
18. Mitch Knevitt
19. Rhett Bazzo
20. Josh Gibcus
21. Mac Andrew *
22. Campbell Chesser
23. Toby Conway
24. Sam Banks
25. Connor MacDonald
26. Josh Browne
27. Arlo Draper
28. Tyler Sonsie
29. Kade Dittmar
30. Darcy Wilmot
31. Judson Clarke
32. Ethan Regan *
33. Charlie Molan
34. Marcus Windhager *
35. Morgan Ferres
36. Brady Hough
37. Leek Aleer
38. Paul Curtis
39. Tom Brown
40. Jake Soligo
41. Michito Owens *
42. Arthur Jones *
43. James Tunstill
44. Kai Lohmann
45. Zac Taylor
46. Eric Benning *
47. Cooper Hamilton
48. Cooper Beecken
49. Lachlan Rankin
50. Jase Burgoyne *

*= F/S or Academies

Early 2022 Draft Rankings, i have yet to see all of the talent, so there may be a few names missing, also some players may come good in their draft year.

Top 50
1. Will Ashcroft - Bris F/S - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm (mid)
2. George Wardlaw - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 181cm (mid)
3. Adam D'Aloia - South Aus/WWT - 184cm (mid)
4. Elijah Tsatas - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 184cm (wing)
5. Alex Condon - West Aus/Claremont - 201cm(Ruck)
6. Oliver Hollands - Vic Country/Murray - 182cm (mid)
7. Jhye Clark - Vic Country/Geelong - 180cm (mid)
8. Harry Lemmey - South Aus/West Adel - 199cm(KPF)
9. Isaac Keeler - South Aus/North Adel - 197cm(Ruck/KPF)
10. Jed Hagan - West Aus/Est Frem - 174cm (mid/hbf)
11. Harry Sheezel - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm (forw)
12. Elijah Hewett - West Aus/Swan Dist - 186cm (mid)
13. Jaspar Fletcher - Bris F/S - Queensland/Bris A (wing)
14. Max Michaelanny - South Aus/Norw - 190cm(potential KPD)
15. Seth Campbell - Tasmania - 179cm (forw)
16. Jaiden Magor - South Aus/Sth Adel - 185cm (mid)
17. Jackson Broadbent - West Aus/Peel - 205cm(Ruck)
18. Matthew Jefferson - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 193cm(KPF)
19. Kobe Ryan - South Aus/Wst Adel - 182cm (mid/hbf)
20. Sam Gilbey - West Aus/Clarem - 185cm (def)
21. Kane Bevan - West Aus/Wst Perth - 192cm (mid)
22. Jonti Schuback - Vic Country/Gipps - 183cm (def)
23. Levi Fyfe - Queensland/Gold Coast A (mid/hbf)
24. Alwyn Davey Jnr - Ess F/S - Vic Metro (forw)
25. Jack Cleaver - West Aus/Est Frem - 187cm (mid)
26. Jedd Busslinger - West Aus/East Perth - 195cm(KPD)
27. Nick Sadler - South Aus/Sturt - 179cm (mid/flanker)
28. Tyson Walls - South Aus/Norw - 171cm (mid)
29. Noah Long - Vic Country/Bend - 178cm (mid)
30. Luke Michael - West Aus/Wst Perth - 185cm (def)
31. Harvey Howe - Vic Country/Gipps - 200cm(Ruck)
32. Lachlan Cowan - Tasmania - 186cm (mid/def)
33. Koby Cockshell - South Aus/Sth Adel - 195cm(KPD)
34. Blake Drury - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 176cm (mid)
35. Luke Teal - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 188cm (def)
36. Aaron Cadman - Vic Country/GWV (def)
37. Cooper Vickery - Vic Country/Gipps (def)
38. Mattaes Phillipou - South Aus/WWT - 188cm (flanker)
39. Max Clohesy - Vic Country/Murray (def)
40. Harry Barnett - South Aus/Wst Adel - 202cm(Ruck/KPD)
41. Kai Windsor - Vic Metro/Eastern - 178cm (mid)
42. Mitch Szybkowski - Vic Country/Dand (mid)
43. Brayden George - Vic Country/Murray (forw)
44. Jacob Konstanty - Vic Country/Gippsland (forw)
45. Brodie Tuck - South Aus/Central Dist - 193cm (forw/def)
46. Jacob Evitt - West Aus/Subiaco - 179cm (mid)
47. Darcy Jones - West Aus/Sawn Dist - 173cm (mid)
48. Cooper Harvey - NM F/S - Vic Metro/Northern - 179cm (mid)
49. Conrad Williams - Frem NGA - West Aus/Clare - 182cm (wing)
50. Will Verall - South Aus/Sth Adel - 200cm(Ruck)

2022 Draft Pool
Will Ashcroft - VM - Elite - mid
George Wardlaw - VM - Elite - mid

Elijah Tsatas - VM - Top 10 - wing/mid
Oliver Hollands - VC - Top 10 - mid
Jhye Clark - VC - Top 10 - mid
Adam D'Aloia - SA - Top 10 - mid
Alex Condon - WA - Top 10 - Ruck

Harry Sheezel - VM - 1st Round - forw
Matthew Jefferson - VM - 1st Round - KPF
Jonti Schuback - VC - 1st Round - def
Jed Hagan - WA - 1st Round - mid
Elijah Hewett - WA - 1st Round - mid
Sam Gilbey - WA - 1st Round - def
Jackson Broadbent - WA - 1st Round - Ruck
Jaiden Magor - SA - 1st Round - mid
Isaac Keeler - SA - 1st Round - KPF/Ruck
Harry Lemmey - SA - 1st Round - KPF
Max Michalanny - SA - 1st Round - KPD
Seth Campbell - TAS - 1st Round - sml forw
Jaspar Fletcher - QLD - 1st Round - wing/mid

Blake Drury - VM - Top 30/40 - mid
Kai Windsor - VM - Top 30/40 - mid
Luke Teal - VM - Top 30/40 - def
Alwyn Davey Jnr - VM - Top 30/40 - forw
Noah Long - VC - Top 30/40 - mid
Aaron Cadman - VC - Top 30/40 - def
Mitch Szybkowski - VC - Top 30/40 - mid
Cooper Vickery - VC - Top 30/40 - def
Max Clohessy - VC - Top 30/40 - def
Harvey Howe - VC - Top 30/40 - Ruck
Jack Cleaver - WA - Top 30/40 - mid
Luke Michael - WA - Top 30/40 - def
Jedd Busslinger - WA - Top 30/40 - def
Kane Bevan - WA - Top 30/40 - mid/def
Kobe Ryan - SA - 1st Round - mid/hbf
Nick Saddler - SA - Top 30/40 - flanker
Mattaes Phillipou - SA - Top 30/40 - flanker
Tyson Walls - SA - Top 30/40 - mid
Koby Cockshell - SA - Top 30/40 - flanker
Lachlan Cowan - TAS - Top 30/40 - def
Levi Fyfe - QLD - Top 30/40 - forw/mid
Darcy Jones - WA - Top 30/40 - mid

Others to keep an eye out for at mid draft...

VM - Cooper Harvey - mid, Ben Hempel - def, Cam MacKenzie - def, Matthew Payne - mid (Jayden Davey)
VC - Jacob Konstanty - forw, Brayden George - forw, Will Parkhouse - def, Felix Fogarty - flanker, Jack O'Sullivan - mid, Olivier Northam - Ruck/KPF
WA - Conrad Williams - wing, Jacob Evitt - flanker, , Mitch Williams - forw, Ed Allan - flanker/mid(191), Luke Brown? - KPF
SA - Will Verall - Ruck, Harry Barnett - KPD/Ruck, Austin McDonald - mid, Brodie Tuck - 3rd tall def/forw
TAS - Cameron Owen - Ruck
QLD - Riley MacMillian - mid
NSW - ???

Jack Delean - SA
Nick Watson - VM
Daniel Curtin - WA
George Stevens - VC
Harley Reid - VC
Will Patton - SA
Koen Sanchez - WA
Tyreise Clark - WA
Tom Wheaton - SA
Zane Duursma - VC
Riley Hardeman - WA

Going by this Davo we should be happy with Hawthorn draft intake in 2021 getting Ward,MacDonald and Long as a rookie.

what are your thoughts on Goater?
thanks for all your efforts this year
cheers

i think he has a lot of potential, i was very impressed with his midfield work, bursting away from contests and getting clear of opponents, i like his size, he is one of those taller mids, good in the air and on the ground, very good acceleration, makes good decisions usually, ok disposal but thats an area he might need work on, especially running at the pace he does, i didnt like hearing he wants to play loose man in defence(hbf) at the next level(mainly because he has more time to use the ball effectively), i would prefer he want to improve his midfield play style and use that burst away from packs as a weapon, will be watching him develop as he was one of my favourites from this draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back