Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to be a fly on the wall at the Kangas. Looks like they will win the spoon and get the 1st real pick. Surely they need to go a KPP. Cadma, Jefferson, Busslinger or do they go mid with Wardlaw or Sheezel type. Gonna be glued to this one come draft night.
I reckon Sheezel calls out to them, he gives them a half forward with class who can hit Larkey and Zurhaar from half forward while getting up the ground. He screams “Gamewinner” to me, the odd 30/3 to push North over the line. 6ou don't want to co.promise for position with pick one, and he is the BPA right next to Wardlaw. I can't see them going past him.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the Kangas. Looks like they will win the spoon and get the 1st real pick. Surely they need to go a KPP. Cadma, Jefferson, Busslinger or do they go mid with Wardlaw or Sheezel type. Gonna be glued to this one come draft night.
Cadman or Sheezel. I’d go Cadman keeps improving and his work rate elite and attacks the contest every time.

I think we'd have no hesitation going with Wardlaw or Sheezel. Sheezel fits a pressing need for outside class and elite decision making/skill.

We also have the option to trade down and increase the number of our draft picks inside 30. I could see us seriously investigating that, so we could get a couple of KP's rather than just one. The deal would have to be worthwhile for us though. We aren't going to give up the first live pick unless it's a proper offer.

I think it also dependent on whether we get any draft concessions or not.

I think we'd have no hesitation going with Wardlaw or Sheezel. Sheezel fits a pressing need for outside class and elite decision making/skill.

We also have the option to trade down and increase the number of our draft picks inside 30. I could see us seriously investigating that, so we could get a couple of KP's rather than just one. The deal would have to be worthwhile for us though. We aren't going to give up the first live pick unless it's a proper offer.

I think it also dependent on whether we get any draft concessions or not.
I like this option and after last years #1 pick offer rejections I reckon they will seriously look at this as an option. Swans and Tigers could be the big winners with their current picks.

I like this option and after last years #1 pick offer rejections I reckon they will seriously look at this as an option. Swans and Tigers could be the big winners with their current picks.

With our current lack of picks it would make a lot of sense. Our next pick after pick 1 is currently pick 55. Not exactly ideal for a club that is really only 1-2 years into it's rebuild.

I'm tipping GWS are going to end up with a draft bounty once Taranto, Hopper & Hill leave so they could be another option to split picks with.

With our current lack of picks it would make a lot of sense. Our next pick after pick 1 is currently pick 55. Not exactly ideal for a club that is really only 1-2 years into it's rebuild.

I'm tipping GWS are going to end up with a draft bounty once Taranto, Hopper & Hill leave so they could be another option to split picks with.
I completely forgot about this, I agree with this train of thought. Then they’ll get more first round picks in 2023 for JHF.

i think the Roos will go with Wardlaw or Sheezel as others here have said, but there could be room for a late challenger still, a guy like Cadman does an Adam Goodes(6 goals) or Steel Sidebottom(10 goals) and kicks a heap of goals in the NAB League Grand Final and that performance could create a bolter like those 2 guys and they could go higher than previously thought.

Last edited:
the extra approx 20 players i reference

Lachlan Cowan
Jason Gillbee

Charlie Clarke
Will Dowling
Coby Burgiel
Hugh Bond
Jake Walker
Harry Rowston
Jayden Davey
Noah Long
Jack O'Sullivan
Jakob Ryan
Hudson O'Keefe
Cooper Vickery
Rohan MacNeill
Luke Michael

Jaxon Binns
Ted Clohesy
Archie Lovelock
Sam Gilbey
Jake Walker has plenty of upside from my perspective. Coming off a couple years of injury, his SANFL season for Glenelg and time in the u18 SA state team has really shown how much of a threat he is and it only seems to be up hill form here. A genuine work horse! His ability to play anywhere on the ground is outstanding and makes him such an asset to any team. Has flown under the radar in my opinion but would be great to see a club take a chance on him as I think he can make impact on any team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Walker has plenty of upside from my perspective. Coming off a couple years of injury, his SANFL season for Glenelg and time in the u18 SA state team has really shown how much of a threat he is and it only seems to be up hill form here. A genuine work horse! His ability to play anywhere on the ground is outstanding and makes him such an asset to any team. Has flown under the radar in my opinion but would be great to see a club take a chance on him as I think he can make impact on any team.
Jake Walker's game is good, he has a bit of pace and a lot of tenacity, real fighter in the middle, i think he has a game that will work at the next level, other than his tenacity doesnt really have a PoD with athleticism or disposal quality, but his work rate is good and so can probably play the role quite well, was 4th or 5th mid in the SA U18 side behind Phillipou, Dowling, D'Aloia and K.Ryan with Archie Lovelock also showing some nice skills, but i do prefer Walker to Lovelock because of his toughness and bravery(tenacity) in the contest, i also prefer Walker to K.Ryan tbh and on par with Dowling who plays more outside receiver, Walker should get drafted, his mental strength should be enough for clubs to want to take a chance on him, if i had to guess at a range 25-late

Not trying to take over the response from the man himself, because I'm sure it will be better than mine.

I can see two scenarios for us.

1. Cadman with our first then best available midfielder at our second.
2. Midfielder at our first then best available mid/fwd at our second unless one of the tall forwards slip that far.

'Best Available' will always be the mantra, however we have specific list holes that will be addressed while keeping that in mind. Much like last season.
I can see the Giants looking closely at Cadman. We desperately need a quality KPF and he seems the one even if it might be a bit high with our first selection.

Does mean that Ashcroft is more likely to play finals in the VFL with the Lions than Sandy
i have heard he will play VFL footy this yr. The Lions recruiter also mentioned this on Road to the draft. Maybe he will play this week with the NAB bye.

I can see the Giants looking closely at Cadman. We desperately need a quality KPF and he seems the one even if it might be a bit high with our first selection.
i wouldnt be surprised if Cadman went top 5 in the draft, he has the natural ability to win the footy up the ground and then head back and kick bags of goals.

Potential 1st Rounders:

Will Ashcroft - F/S Brisbane(Sand) - 180cm 76kg - industrious midfielder, high cont poss, high clearance, high disposal, in and under player with ability to run from contest, inside/outside game, goal kicker, consistent, good disposal under pressure, smart, competitive, likely number 1 draft pick now that Wardlaw is having injury issues

George Wardlaw - (Oak) - 182cm 81kg - bull at a gate midfielder, win first ball or smash the guy that does in a tackle, energetic, tough, aggressive, good speed, competitive, wins contests, 2nd efforts, runs both ways, can be very impactful with poss or without (a small unknown on accumulation because of injury/illness interupted season), likely pick 2 because of injuries/illness

Harry Sheezel - (Sand) - 184cm 77kg - highly skilled forward who can push into the midfield with good disposal numbers, bullet like passing, good movement through congestion, strong mark, good goal sense as a forward, averaging high amount of goals per game at NAB League level, likely to go pick 3

Aaron Cadman - GWV) - 194cm 88kg - KPF who leads all day, good ground ball skills (from when he was a defender last year), great marking skills, very athletic, good endurance(work rate), goal accuracy needs work, x-factor player with plenty of improvement left in him as a defender turned forward, high disposal rate for a forward, high goal shot tally for a forward, a lot to work with, likely top 5

Elijah Tsatas - (Oak) - 186cm 79kg - high disposal outside/inside midfielder, great athletic qualities, good movement on field, its a shame we didnt see him in the champs, but he has looked really good from the games i have seen him play, maybe his disposal can be a little sloppy at times, line breaking skills, high work rate, likely to go top 6-7

Jhye Clark - (Geel) - 181cm 77kg - competitive inside mid, good disposal i50, high work rate, produces in big games (state games and AFL Academy), flashes of brilliance, runs to support, breaks away from congestion, good decision maker, on field leader for Vic Country, likely top 10

Jedd Busslinger - (E Perth) - 196cm 82kg - intercepting defender, good disposal (high DE% kicking), good decision making, good spoil when needed, didnt play on star KPF's in champs so question marks on defensive capabilities, moreso a interceptor type, surgery on shoulder halfway through champs, up there with Hayes as best KPD in the draft, likely 1st round/top 10?

Cam MacKenzie - StKilda NGA(Sand) - 187cm 80kg - a bit of a bolter this season, increasing his value from a sml defender to a productive midfielder, similar to Cadman who also increased his value a lot this year, speedy mid, breaks away from congestion, inside/outside game, he can either win his own ball or be fed the ball and get a clean clearance, high work rate, competitive, likely top 10

Mattaes Phillipou - (WWT) - 191cm 83kg - a forward who has shown an ability to play midfield, good goal sense, burst of speed, but generally one paced, can find space out the back for a joe the goose goal, strong mark and good height, good positioning, finds first poss in midfield and can feed team mates by hands, kicking in general is good, can go in and out of games so work rate could be an issue? likely top 10?

Mitch Szybkowski - (Dand) - 186cm 84kg - inside mid who is one paced, good positioning, good work rate, good decision making and skills, strong mark, competitive, good tackler, strong build, other than lacking some run and carry potential, he has almost no flaws, likely 1st round

Matthew Jefferson - (Oak) - 194cm 76kg - high marking KPF, has not had the best season for Oakleigh, but on the other hand has been very strong in the champs and also Trial game, leading forward, good hands, goal accuracy in the champs has been great(maybe new goal kicking technique?), work rate, very skinny so a lot to work with in developing him physically, likely first round

Reuben Ginbey - (E Perth) - 189cm 85kg - surprisingly quick and agile, wins first poss, tough, tackles and takes the tackle, competitive, was one of WA's best in the champs, has played a few state league games this season, late developer, likely 1st round

Elijah Hewett - (Swan Dist) - 186cm 82kg - strong willed player, highly talented, i heard somewhere he is a low cont poss player which is a concern, breaks lines, goal kicker, when he is on he can be a game changer, opinions vary depending on which games you see him play, inconsistent, likely 1st round

Isaac Keeler - Adel NGA(North Adel) - 198cm 88kg - Ruck/KPF, good marking skills, lead up player who can lead onto the wings or inside 50, good kick at goal, kicking goals from 40m+ no problems, contests in forward line for sml forwards to crumb, decent hit out ruck, reminds me so much of a young Paddy Ryder in how he moves, how he plays and his general physique, likely 1st round/early 2nd round?

Bailey Humphrey - (Gipps) - 184cm 86kg - midfielder who has played some forward time with good results, goal kicking mid/forw, quick skillful, was injured last year and half this year, so could have injury concerns(medical) seems a really good player on small samples i have seen, but again, has been injured for most of 2 years, flavour of the month atm, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Lewis Hayes - (Eastern) - 197cm 81kg - high disposal KPD, interceptor, possibly the best KPD in the pool? beat opponents for VM all carnival, brother of StKilda Hayes, good defensive abilities, spoils ect, high DE% kicking, so good and careful disposal, likely 1st round

Brayden George - (Murray) - 185cm 87kg - a sml power forward in the De Goey mould, burst leads and good goal kicking record for Murray in the NAB League, has been injured so have not seen him yet in the champs, quick on a lead, strong, unlikely to be a midfielder unless he develops that part of his game, seems more a forward for now, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Anthony Munkara - Essendon NGA(NT/W Adel) - 186cm 77kg - quick, agile, moves like a Rioli, great goal sense, a natural x-factor talent up forward, his game for AFL Academy shows what he can do at the next level, his games in the NT and sanfl u18 show what kindve instincts he has that apply so well for football, had 1 champs game where he seemed like he didnt want to be there and didnt play anymore after that, i have seen enough to know he could be something special, just hope he wants to play AFL, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Adam D'Aloia - (WWT) - 186cm 86kg - inside mid, wins cont poss, feeds clearance players/runners, goal kicker, good decision maker, mostly plays midfield only, one observation i made at GMHBA was that his knees seem to invert a little which is a possible injury concern(medical) performs the last 2 years at a high level, won the SA MVP and didnt even play his role in every game, likely late 1st/2nd rounder?

Oliver Hollands - (Murray) - 184cm 71kg - outside player, good run and carry, good disposal, had a big champs break out game after being injured this year for a bit, brother of the recently rising star nominated Elijah Hollands, liekly 1st round/2nd round?

Henry Hustwaite - (Dand) - 194cm 84kg - midfielder who can also play CHB, good first poss game, good disposal, good positioning, can play both midfield and tall defender at a good level, smooth player, can also play ouside mid, very flexible player, likely 1st/2nd round?

Olli Hotton - (Sand) - 181cm 77kg - winger who has improved his value dramatically during the recent u18 champs, goal kicking midfielder, who ran all day and was very competitive, good mark as well and good long kicking, likely early 2nd round

Josh Weddle - (Oak) - 191cm 87kg - high work rate, good defensive abilities mixed with a hard running game style, hbf who can also hold his own against bigger bodied players and runs to position himself or pressure opponents, good interceptor as well, likely early 2nd round

Al Davey Jnr - F/S Essendon(Oak) - 181cm 74kg - mid/forw with good movement on the ground, good goal sense, clever player, good disposal, some issues with low disposal count and low amount of goals, but theres hidden potential which could be unlocked and you can see it in bursts, likely early 2nd round

Tom McCallum - (Tas) - 192cm 78kg - hbf with composure, high quality under pressure, good intercept mark, good disposal, calm under pressure, counter-attacking weapon from defence, was good in the NAB League, but really made a name for himself at the champs, rising above the crowd to look like he was on another level than others, likely early 2nd round

Last edited:
Potential 1st Rounders:

Will Ashcroft - F/S Brisbane(Sand) - 180cm 76kg - industrious midfielder, high cont poss, high clearance, high disposal, in and under player with ability to run from contest, inside/outside game, goal kicker, consistent, good disposal under pressure, smart, competitive, likely number 1 draft pick now that Wardlaw is having injury issues

George Wardlaw - (Oak) - 182cm 81kg - bull at a gate midfielder, win first ball or smash the guy that does in a tackle, energetic, tough, aggressive, good speed, competitive, wins contests, 2nd efforts, runs both ways, can be very impactful with poss or without (a small unknown on accumulation because of injury/illness interupted season), likely pick 2 because of injuries/illness

Harry Sheezel - (Sand) - 184cm 77kg - highly skilled forward who can push into the midfield with good disposal numbers, bullet like passing, good movement through congestion, strong mark, good goal sense as a forward, averaging high amount of goals per game at NAB League level, likely to go pick 3

Aaron Cadman - GWV) - 194cm 88kg - KPF who leads all day, good ground ball skills (from when he was a defender last year), great marking skills, very athletic, good endurance(work rate), goal accuracy needs work, x-factor player with plenty of improvement left in him as a defender turned forward, high disposal rate for a forward, high goal shot tally for a forward, a lot to work with, likely top 5

Elijah Tsatas - (Oak) - 186cm 79kg - high disposal outside/inside midfielder, great athletic qualities, good movement on field, its a shame we didnt see him in the champs, but he has looked really good from the games i have seen him play, maybe his disposal can be a little sloppy at times, line breaking skills, high work rate, likely to go top 6-7

Jhye Clark - (Geel) - 181cm 77kg - competitive inside mid, good disposal i50, high work rate, produces in big games (state games and AFL Academy), flashes of brilliance, runs to support, breaks away from congestion, good decision maker, on field leader for Vic Country, likely top 10

Jedd Busslinger - (E Perth) - 196cm 82kg - intercepting defender, good disposal (high DE% kicking), good decision making, good spoil when needed, didnt play on star KPF's in champs so question marks on defensive capabilities, moreso a interceptor type, surgery on shoulder halfway through champs, up there with Hayes as best KPD in the draft, likely 1st round/top 10?

Cam MacKenzie - StKilda NGA(Sand) - 187cm 80kg - a bit of a bolter this season, increasing his value from a sml defender to a productive midfielder, similar to Cadman who also increased his value a lot this year, speedy mid, breaks away from congestion, inside/outside game, he can either win his own ball or be fed the ball and get a clean clearance, high work rate, competitive, likely top 10

Mattaes Phillipou - (WWT) - 191cm 83kg - a forward who has shown an ability to play midfield, good goal sense, burst of speed, but generally one paced, can find space out the back for a joe the goose goal, strong mark and good height, good positioning, finds first poss in midfield and can feed team mates by hands, kicking in general is good, can go in and out of games so work rate could be an issue? likely top 10?

Mitch Szybkowski - (Dand) - 186cm 84kg - inside mid who is one paced, good positioning, good work rate, good decision making and skills, strong mark, competitive, good tackler, strong build, other than lacking some run and carry potential, he has almost no flaws, likely 1st round

Matthew Jefferson - (Oak) - 194cm 76kg - high marking KPF, has not had the best season for Oakleigh, but on the other hand has been very strong in the champs and also Trial game, leading forward, good hands, goal accuracy in the champs has been great(maybe new goal kicking technique?), work rate, very skinny so a lot to work with in developing him physically, likely first round

Reuben Ginbey - (E Perth) - 189cm 85kg - surprisingly quick and agile, wins first poss, tough, tackles and takes the tackle, competitive, was one of WA's best in the champs, has played a few state league games this season, late developer, likely 1st round

Elijah Hewett - (Swan Dist) - 186cm 82kg - strong willed player, highly talented, i heard somewhere he is a low cont poss player which is a concern, breaks lines, goal kicker, when he is on he can be a game changer, opinions vary depending on which games you see him play, inconsistent, likely 1st round

Isaac Keeler - (North Adel) - 198cm 88kg - Ruck/KPF, good marking skills, lead up player who can lead onto the wings or inside 50, good kick at goal, kicking goals from 40m+ no problems, contests in forward line for sml forwards to crumb, decent hit out ruck, reminds me so much of a young Paddy Ryder in how he moves, how he plays and his general physique, likely 1st round/early 2nd round?

Bailey Humphrey - (Gipps) - 184cm 86kg - midfielder who has played some forward time with good results, goal kicking mid/forw, quick skillful, was injured last year and half this year, so could have injury concerns(medical) seems a really good player on small samples i have seen, but again, has been injured for most of 2 years, flavour of the month atm, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Lewis Hayes - (Eastern) - 197cm 81kg - high disposal KPD, interceptor, possibly the best KPD in the pool? beat opponents for VM all carnival, brother of StKilda Hayes, good defensive abilities, spoils ect, high DE% kicking, so good and careful disposal, likely 1st round

Brayden George - (Murray) - 185cm 87kg - a sml power forward in the De Goey mould, burst leads and good goal kicking record for Murray in the NAB League, has been injured so have not seen him yet in the champs, quick on a lead, strong, unlikely to be a midfielder unless he develops that part of his game, seems more a forward for now, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Anthony Munkara - (NT/W Adel) - 186cm 77kg - quick, agile, moves like a Rioli, great goal sense, a natural x-factor talent up forward, his game for AFL Academy shows what he can do at the next level, his games in the NT and sanfl u18 show what kindve instincts he has that apply so well for football, had 1 champs game where he seemed like he didnt want to be there and didnt play anymore after that, i have seen enough to know he could be something special, just hope he wants to play AFL, likely 1st round/2nd round?

Adam D'Aloia - (WWT) - 186cm 86kg - inside mid, wins cont poss, feeds clearance players/runners, goal kicker, good decision maker, mostly plays midfield only, one observation i made at GMHBA was that his knees seem to invert a little which is a possible injury concern(medical) performs the last 2 years at a high level, won the SA MVP and didnt even play his role in every game, likely late 1st/2nd rounder?

Oliver Hollands - (Murray) - 184cm 71kg - outside player, good run and carry, good disposal, had a big champs break out game after being injured this year for a bit, brother of the recently rising star nominated Elijah Hollands, liekly 1st round/2nd round?

Henry Hustwaite - (Dand) - 194cm 84kg - midfielder who can also play CHB, good first poss game, good disposal, good positioning, can play both midfield and tall defender at a good level, smooth player, can also play ouside mid, very flexible player, likely 1st/2nd round?

Olli Hotton - (Sand) - 181cm 77kg - winger who has improved his value dramatically during the recent u18 champs, goal kicking midfielder, who ran all day and was very competitive, good mark as well and good long kicking, likely early 2nd round

Josh Weddle - (Oak) - 191cm 87kg - high work rate, good defensive abilities mixed with a hard running game style, hbf who can also hold his own against bigger bodied players and runs to position himself or pressure opponents, good interceptor as well, likely early 2nd round

Al Davey Jnr - F/S Essendon(Oak) - 181cm 74kg - mid/forw with good movement on the ground, good goal sense, clever player, good disposal, some issues with low disposal count and low amount of goals, but theres hidden potential which could be unlocked and you can see it in bursts, likely early 2nd round

Tom McCallum - (Tas) - 192cm 78kg - hbf with composure, high quality under pressure, good intercept mark, good disposal, calm under pressure, counter-attacking weapon from defence, was good in the NAB League, but really made a name for himself at the champs, rising above the crowd to look like he was on another level than others, likely early 2nd round

Do you feel this draft class has improved as the year has progressed?

Do you feel this draft class has improved as the year has progressed?
yes and no, yes in that a few players have come through to be top 40 options whether they were injured or have improved, no, in that the u17 games last year had most of the same players showing what they showed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back