Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally think it's a bit early for Gallagher to debut.

Hope I'm proven wrong but seemed to be a step behind AFL level in the practice games .

I agree. Was excited for him early pre season, but was pretty underwhelming in the practice matches.

Will be a good player, but I’d play others ahead at this stage.

Maybe Bevo and the coaches see a bit more than us at training....
I just don't get the negativity by some (not all) surrounding Gallagher. I thought his preseason was exceptional, he's been playing a midfield role all summer long to get as much exposure as he can as quick as he can. He was always well and truly in the mix for a wing role with Poulter/Baker and has been rewarded. The coaches set the paramerters for round one at the start of preseason and the kid put his hand up and deservedly gets the nod. And imo anyone named Harvey deserves first crack :)

Ok, well let’s never discuss what we see from players during games because they might be getting 58 disposals and 8 goals in practice games at training.

The point of this board is to have discussions about what we see, it’s my opinion that Gallagher was underwhelming during the games. We could go in circles about what ifs and training performances for hours.

My take on Gallagher is that he was quiet but looked pretty comfortable at the level and fitted in pretty seamlessly, definitely grew into the games.

He’s got the attributes for the role and I think the larger and quicker pace of the game on the MCG will suit him more than WO and Tassie.

I just don't get the negativity by some (not all) surrounding Gallagher. I thought his preseason was exceptional, he's been playing a midfield role all summer long to get as much exposure as he can as quick as he can. He was always well and truly in the mix for a wing role with Poulter/Baker and has been rewarded. The coaches set the paramerters for round one at the start of preseason and the kid put his hand up and deservedly gets the nod. And imo anyone named Harvey deserves first crack :)

he was injured a lot of last year wasnt he?

If I remember correctly, he was playing as a mid in his junior career and not setting the world on fire, but was moved to half back and did very well, and thats when he started to become draftable?

Perhaps one of natures half backs?

edit... or maybe not considering the video above :-O

Last edited:
he was injured a lot of last year wasnt he?

If I remember correctly, he was playing as a mid in his junior career and not setting the world on fire, but was moved to half back and did very well, and thats when he started to become draftable?

Perhaps one of natures half backs?

edit... or maybe not considering the video above :-O

Plus had glandular fever.

Is this supposed to be reassuring?
Is he seeing the same thing he saw in Robbie McComb and Billy Gowers?
I would like to hope this club has learned not to trust the coach's judgement in playing ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he is another short, workhorse-type player. At least that's the impression I've got so far.
One of the problems this club has had over the past 5-7 years is playing too many guys who try hard but aren't good enough.

I doubt we will see VDM back in the regular season rotation. Gallagher and Bramble both appear to have some semblance of footy IQ, where as sadly VDM has time and time again performed some really head scratching acts on the footy field.

I would just implore the MC to keep picking guys with nous... Or perhaps this is too much to ask..

We go into the dees game with basically 3 players from other clubs who we not in their best 22 for former clubs lasts season plus 2 first gamers and probably Buku who was not best 22 for us last season. How much that will improve us is a big unknown.

I think our one wood and advantage over teams this season must be marks inside 50. So we need Astro, JUH, Lobb/Darcy to perform and for other parts of game to be ultra competitive.

Here is hoping we bring our A game.

I love Buku in the back half.. Clean Hands, excellent field kick. He is just so versatile, could easily cement a solid backman combo with the Coff for 5-7 odd years.. Paired with the Human Wall ( Jonesy ), I like how the backline is being built.

Not too much unexpected out of that 18.

The 4 on the bench will be very interesting though. It could go a number of ways. I’d go with Daniel, Williams, JJ & McNeil. JOD to come in the week after for a small defender when we need more height.

Also Macrae isn’t underdone, I reckon he’s just been left out and Bevo has used it as an excuse. You can’t justify playing Dale who has zero match fitness and claim Jackson has been left out for being underdone when he’s played two VFL practice matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back