Review Dees v Handbaggers – The Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

The best oppo reaction was when Richmond supporters accused everyone of beating them with their style.

Basically saying other teams were doing what they do but better.

The finish made the game feel a lot better than it was. Still, great to win - we've bottled plenty of games like that in recent years. Defence very, very good. Young blokes looked solid - Windsor, Howes and McVee all great.

Petty can mark again! Kicking/decision making still TBD, but hopefully gives some confidence to him.

Gawn, TMc great. Kudos to Goody/coaching team for preparing a plan that worked well to throw them off their game.

Plenty of room for improvement. Dismal goalkicking almost cost us, again.

The best oppo reaction was when Richmond supporters accused everyone of beating them with their style.

Basically saying other teams were doing what they do but better.
While also saying that rule changes had been brought in specifically to cramp their style.

Amazing and I love it

I gave Lever a lot of s**t in the first 2-3 weeks but he's been unreal lately. AA form.
Agree. His first few weeks were better forgotten, but he’s been in really strong form tonight. He was everywhere.

Good team performance too with pressure all across the ground. It forced the cats to bomb it long and lever just lapped it up

Modern footy is quite bizarre now. Our most dominant qtr was the 3rd, we controlled the ball for the majority and had 9 shots to 6 but kept getting carved up on the counter attack when they were finally able to unlock and use the space behind our forward press to attack.

The stand rule really stops teams from slowing these chains and opens up the ground hugely.

Modern footy is quite bizarre now. Our most dominant qtr was the 3rd, we controlled the ball for the majority and had 9 shots to 6 but kept getting carved up on the counter attack when they were finally able to unlock and use the space behind our forward press to attack.

The stand rule really stops teams from slowing these chains and opens up the ground hugely.
I mean we missed some ridiculously easy shots that quarter and Cats kicked them from everywhere. But yeah agree with the stand rule. As dumb and contrived as it is it has made footy better to watch.

I mean we missed some ridiculously easy shots that quarter and Cats kicked them from everywhere. But yeah agree with the stand rule. As dumb and contrived as it is it has made footy better to watch.
Yeah of course, we did and it kept the ball up our end for longer as a result Geelong camped in our 50. The bizarre observation is that it is almost easier to kick a goal as a defending team in that situation. Port had the same scenario in the first half of the Showdown.

Yeah of course, we did and it kept the ball up our end for longer as a result Geelong camped in our 50. The bizarre observation is that it is almost easier to kick a goal as a defending team in that situation. Port had the same scenario in the first half of the Showdown.
Yeah Collingwood and Geelong were the first to really work out that the future of footy is at half back and the results speak for themselves.

Not sure how I feel about that game tbh.
On one hand it felt like we played shit, dragged them to our level of shit then beat them with experience at it later.

Petracca and Oliver were embarassing early. Trac good second half. Oliver was still pretty meh. Just a passenger in the team really.

On the other hand I never really felt like wed lose. We controlled the game defensively and never looked like we lost momentum for any time.

Still not convinced though, this is about the level we've played at the last couple years where as Geelong can be much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last quarter was fun, why are we so absolutely terrified of doing that more often?

Petty actually played well
The defence was epic. Best defensive game for a long time. Lever McDonald and May should get the 3-2-1 in the Brownlow

If I'm being honest though, I was less bored watching this first half than against Richmond. We did it differently, still lead to a boring goal game and shit goal kicking is shit kicking. My optimism went up a very small amount but winning a game doesn't make us premiership contender yet

Oliver had a huge last quarter I thought. Hopefully he can really build from here.
Really? Huge? I remember him not putting his body on the line in front of close. I remember a holding the ball.
He won a good ground ball on the far side. Huge?

Wasn't even in the top 5 dees players for the quarter. Lever and McDonald were huge. Oliver was crap in the first half and ok in the second half.

My fav bit of play on the night was Trac's kick to Fritsch on the lead, that was proper football. Do that more often FFS.
That kick was so good I don't even know if Fritsch lead, Trac just forced him to get there.

That kick was so good I don't even know if Fritsch lead, Trac just forced him to get there.
Yeah, probably a bit of that , Fritsch was in front rather than behind though so that was nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back