Review Dees v Swans - the Good, bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

which is while I angrily said we needed to draft 5-6 key forwards. Looking back, I wish we just did.
definitely should be thought about now. not sure he has the decision making required though. I don't think we can have Lever and JVR next to each other.
So we should've drafted more key forwards but you want to turn the one promising one that we have into a defender ✅

How promising is he though? Has shown to be a poor mark and poor decision maker. He really needs to improve on his floor games. He's a non factor in far too many games.
He's played one game in his second season after kicking 28 goals in his first, while on the end of VAFA-level kicking inside 50. He'll be fine.

He's played one game in his second season after kicking 28 goals in his first, while on the end of VAFA-level kicking inside 50. He'll be fine.
I hope so. yeah, he's into his 3rd season, I should be a bit more patient and I'd like him to be our 3rd tall, certainly not our main tall. Especially with Petty out, it's a hard watch. And not to jump the gun but if Petty leaves, I'm starting to panic.

I find this Petty is the forward Messiah talk so funny. He won't make one bit of difference. He is a contested player just like JVR. If anything it will make them double down on kicking it to a pack when we need space and leads in the forward line.

He's not the messiah. Disagree though on the rest - he's actually really good at constantly moving, creating space for others and of course a good mark and kick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I will give about 7 players a pass mark in terms of what is expected, two of them made AFL debuts and one went of injured. So we basically had only 4 players playing at an acceptable standard. As bad as our ball movement is it's very hard to win when so many players are under performing.

I find this Petty is the forward Messiah talk so funny. He won't make one bit of difference. He is a contested player just like JVR. If anything it will make them double down on kicking it to a pack when we need space and leads in the forward line.
I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a messiah, but he is a good solid aerial option who knows how to contest and at 24 years old is entering his physical prime.

Would work wonders to have him and JVR play in the same forward line for 20-30 games on the run.

God the trac three fumbles in five seconds was as a horrendous moment i think I've ever seen from him.

It really sums up how we play in wet or humid conditions
You could just see the pressure get to him worse and worse. He might genuinely need a counselling session after that

He's not the messiah. Disagree though on the rest - he's actually really good at constantly moving, creating space for others and of course a good mark and kick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agreed. He has wheels. Constantly in motion. Can put defensive pressure on too which is handy. He can lead well also. He's more than just a contested marking forward. Not the Messiah but will help the F50 and JVR especially.

The uncertainty of our group. In minimal space we have more congestion than the Burnley tunnel at peak hour. We stand and wait. Stand and wait. We all look for the ball to come to us but nobody thinks how to get themselves in a better spot. Then we look dumbfounded when the opposition whips it away at pace and we get caught out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howes and McVee were good.
The predictability was bad.
The fact there’s a full season of this with Goodwin having a track record of no change is the bad.
I must have been watching a different game, I thought McVee was dead set average and soft. Besides the one clean kick inside 50 he looked rushed, and fumbled when hearing footsteps.

McVee's pre season form has been pretty average to be honest and with Boeey set to miss a few weeks, there'll be bigger responsibilities laid on McVee now.

Howes on the hand was far more composed and held up his end of the bargain.

Trac on track for a 40 behind season.

Aces.
I was surprised how many direct goal assists he had when I watched the goals youtube video today. Take it for granted I guess how damaging he is and I always remember him fumbling or scrubbing a kick. He had direct involvement in half our goals and he played like s**t.

I used to care about this club so much, but when the board decided to extend Godwin’s contract before last years final series I lost all hope.

Now look, a full pre-season with a glaring weakness and it is exposed again in the first game.
This is a good point.

While I too believe Goodwin is the key point of failure here, a lot of this rests on the shoulders of the CEO who was the "dynasty" spruiker, parachuted-in box ticking President, and the whole board.

Whether they locked him in to show "unity" given all his off field rumours (smoke = fire 99.999% of the time), or it was just a truly deluded re-signing, they should well and truly be held accountable.

Imagine if Kennett or Eddie were our President right now and for the past two years? They'd be ramping up the pressure to deliver.
What exactly is ours doing? Telling us we need to be louder?

....Bueller?

(but 100% agree richskee - #sackgoodwin )

We have connection problems on all three lines.

The backs either go long and hack kicks under pressure back to the opposing and we struggle to move the footy off half back.

The mids can't get through zones or run the ball forward without going wide, they also bomb it long up to the forwards.

Finally the forwards, they just don't move and all crowd the same spot. Even when the mids on occasion look, they just don't read the cues and move, or move to late

I just think he has the attributes to be a menace in defence, and I think his ceiling as a forward is slightly above average.

He is averaging 7 touches and a goal over his last 5 games. Three of those goals came against the cellar dwelling Hawks, and his goal on Thursday night was a happy accident.

(5 game stretch: Blues, Hawks, 2x Swans and QF against Pies)

Got to agree with Derm in some aspects.

May/Lever/Tommo did not play well together, got in each others way multiple times.
Lever was absolutely useless. Could have played Hore and got more out of him. He's completely lost his intercept game around the game and without it he's barely worth having in the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back