Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Still so pissed off, the build up was exciting, then it pissed down before the game, then we came out and played like morons who'd never played in front of more than 20k before.

Might get up for next week nearer to the game, but right now, not feeling it.

Still so pissed off, the build up was exciting, then it pissed down before the game, then we came out and played like morons who'd never played in front of more than 20k before.

Have a feeling that the semi will be one of the lowest home team crowd representations for a final in recent memory. And honestly, they probably deserve it for persisting with this near-unwatchable style.

I hope Dees fans still turn up as we still have lots to play for, but I can understand why some people won't want to part with their hard-earned to rock up and watch us kick 7-8 goals.

Have a feeling that the semi will be one of the lowest home team crowd representations for a final in recent memory. And honestly, they probably deserve it for persisting with this near-unwatchable style.

I hope Dees fans still turn up as we still have lots to play for, but I can understand why some people won't want to part with their hard-earned to rock up and watch us kick 7-8 goals.
Truth, there was just very little to enjoy about last nights performance, and you can tell we'll score about 60 points next week too, don't begrudge any supporter for choosing to watch it at home. Hope we do rock up though, I probably will end up going.

Truth, there was just very little to enjoy about last nights performance, and you can tell we'll score about 60 points next week too, don't begrudge any supporter for choosing to watch it at home. Hope we do rock up though, I probably will end up going.
Yeah im almost ashamed/embarrassed by the performance to be honest. One of the biggest finals at the G in years and we dish up that boring crap. I'm so off it.

Next Friday is Jewish New Year. There will be a few thousands Dees fans who will miss because of that.

Yeah I doubt I'm going. Last 3 finals at the G we've played like pus. Hasn't been enjoyable tbh. Spent around 1k on those tix for me and my boys to sit through the same garbage, just hoping we can replicate what we did in 2021. Haven't come close. Not sure my boys could stomach another loss like that. I'll probably change my mind by weeks end, but right now I couldn't be less interested.

Turns out we've won our last three finals on "expected score".
I think at this stage it's expected that we're gonna s**t the bed in front of the sticks 😂

Expected score is a complete crock of s**t if the actual results in finals are consistently the opposite. Can we win the expected cup? Because we all know that's the REAL prize.

Cameron at the end of the 1st quarter, Mihocek to start the 2nd, and McStay twice in the third took marks and kicked goals at key points in the game.

My point was never about volume, it was about those few gilt-edged chances created from key marks that could prove the difference in a game where easy chances were likely to be few and far between.

Now i'm not saying that those marks were the reason they won, but I think a balanced view would suggest that 4 goals out of 9 coming from key marks in good spots definitely helped them put a winning total on the board.
They scored 60 points. If it wasn't for the most inept stupid display of footy I've ever seen that wouldn't have been even close to a winning score. Those guys did nothing else in the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha love that nuffs are still sooking because they don't understand this stat. It doesn't tell you who should have won, it tells you goal kicking accuracy.

No s**t mate, we all know that. We're pointing out exactly that. Bad goal kicking equals bad results and we've seen that multiple times this season. The players shat the bed in front of goal.

Not sure where you're getting 'sooking' or 'nuffs' from.

No s**t mate, we all know that. We're pointing out exactly that. Bad goal kicking equals bad results and we've seen that multiple times this season. The players shat the bed in front of goal.

Not sure where you're getting 'sooking' or 'nuffs' from.
I can take a wild guess who this post is to and it's a bloke who bases everything on stats and 0 on reality.

So where is the thread for picking next weeks team (especially the forward line)?

Geez, who would've thought Danster would be more positive than most people here.

We lost to the best team in the league, by 7 points, despite playing a man down, despite kicking so many behinds and despite not even playing well. Also, no Petty.

Throw into the mix we have pick 5 in the draft! And another pick around 15. And even a pick around 24 and 35. It's good times.

May has 2 more good seasons in him, Gawn honestly has 5 more years left in him.

Geez, who would've thought Danster would be more positive than most people here.

We lost to the best team in the league, by 7 points, despite playing a man down, despite kicking so many behinds and despite not even playing well. Also, no Petty.

Throw into the mix we have pick 5 in the draft! And another pick around 15. And even a pick around 24 and 35. It's good times.

May has 2 more good seasons in him, Gawn honestly has 5 more years left in him.
I'm loving this new era of Danster🥰

Oh well. Looking on the bright side, this year I get to watch one more game of the Red and the Blue.

How is that for positive?

36 hours on I don’t think I’ve ever been so embarrassed by a Melbourne performance in my life.

Like all teams we’ve had some horrible losses but just given the occasion, the stage, the vulnerability of the opposition etc We blew such a golden opportunity with some of the dumbest ball movement forward ever seen in an AFL final. All night!!

Goody should feel ashamed and Greg Stafford should be wearing a tucker bag over his head in public over summer. In fact he really needs to leave the club based on what we saw on Thursday night. That was unforgivable.

Thanks for your services but time to go do something else, Greg. Your run in footy is over.

Your forward line is there to kick goals, lots of them. A few from the midfield is expected.
McDonald: A lucky one off the ground is not enough. Especially given the one you missed.
Pickett: one is not enough
Laurie, Petracca, Oliver, Roo: ZIP
Fritsch: 2 goals. And two awful misses. So he is evens.

Forgive me if I missed somebody. And 8 shots on goal that didn't bother the scorers.

I see three guys who should play no more this year.
Replacing forwards who can't kick goals should be an easy decision.

36 hours on I don’t think I’ve ever been so embarrassed by a Melbourne performance in my life.

Like all teams we’ve had some horrible losses but just given the occasion, the stage, the vulnerability of the opposition etc We blew such a golden opportunity with some of the dumbest ball movement forward ever seen in an AFL final. All night!!

Goody should feel ashamed and Greg Stafford should be wearing a tucker bag over his head in public over summer. In fact he really needs to leave the club based on what we saw on Thursday night. That was unforgivable.

Thanks for your services but time to go do something else, Greg. Your run in footy is over.
Someone on here said it was our worst performance since the 2018 prelim against WC, I mean, it's definitely not, but * it felt that way, that first quarter was a car crash.

Someone on here said it was our worst performance since the 2018 prelim against WC, I mean, it's definitely not, but * it felt that way, that first quarter was a car crash.

I think that was me too 😅

The 2018 prelim was worse. But we were never going to win that game in Perth. Eagles were white hot and we weren’t quite mature enough yet.

Thursday night’s performance however was definitely more embarrassing (imo). Eminently winnable. 2023 Pies are good but nothing special.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back