Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Friends, nothing will ever expiate the pain of 87 and 88 for us older guys. Share your thoughts after the game. Orks by 17 points

GOOD: Fritsch lead so well and got his kicking boot back. Trac lifting every game, BOG for mine today.

BAD: Hard to be too grumpy, but the ball use in the middle two quarters was frustrating.

UGLY: May injury. *.

Bugger with May.

Trac without Brayshaw snaffling votes will go very close to winning Charlie in this form.

Good: getting the win. Better than what I was expecting.

Goodwin picking Hore as sub, he wins again.

Bad: injuries. Kayo is starting to get worse and worse. Tempted to get foxtel again.

Ugly: Commentators constantly pumping up a comeback on a team that only managed 5 goals in the game. Dwayne's "they were 32 points down, they now 30" honestly would have to be up there with one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Instead of naming the same as everyone else, shout out to what I thought was some underrated games:

Gawn's game was underrated, felt whenever he was in at the centre bounces we dominated the centre clearances.

Oliver did some ridiculous things while getting tagged heavily

ANB was awesome, the first quarter might have been the best quarter I've seen him play

Sparrow much better

Howes, Chandler, Petty, TMac, Billings all as good as you could ask for.

Hard to find a bad player today.

Instead of naming the same as everyone else, shout out to what I thought was some underrated games:

Gawn's game was underrated, felt whenever he was in at the centre bounces we dominated the centre clearances.

Oliver did some ridiculous things while getting tagged heavily

ANB was awesome, the first quarter might have been the best quarter I've seen him play

Sparrow much better

Howes, Chandler, Petty, TMac, Billings all as good as you could ask for.

Hard to find a bad player today.

Yep ANB possibly played his best footy ever in that first quarter.

I don't think we had any bad players. Brown was a non factor (aside from one amazing fake out) and Langdon was a bit meh, but neither were actually bad.

Pretty dominant performance all things considered. Hawks had a lot of the play in 2nd and 3rd quarters, but never really looked like challenging us. Conceding only 5 goals with Lever and May down is an incredible result, really. Unbeaten in our last 9 matches versus the Hawks now, which makes a nice change from the 30 years before that.

Good:

• Trac BOG.
  • Petty had a descent first game back. Took a couple of nice marks up forward, a few intercept marks down back. Looks like he'll be down back for a couple of weeks now, at least.
  • Windsor isn't just a good young player, he's a good player full-stop. His speed, decision-making and content work are all top-notch, and you'd be thrilled if a 26 year-old were having the sort of impact he is at the moment, let alone an 18 year-old. Clear first 22, even when Hunter gets back.
  • Nice to see Fritsch get a bag. Thought he looked a little down on confidence the first couple of weeks, so that'll do him the world of good.
  • ANB is sometimes easy to overlook because of his consistency, but thought he was our second best behind Trac today.
  • A minor thing, but I thought JVR actually looked decent as back-up ruck today. Would make a huge difference to the team if he can take marks and get clearances while Gawn is having a rest.
  • I thought the forward-line gelled pretty well. Much better over the past couple of weeks compared to what we saw at the end of 2023.

Bad:

- Thought we got outworked and beaten at the contested ball for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but again they never really looked like damaging us. Otherwise the game was mostly on our terms.

Ugly:

• Hawks tactics in the first quarter. Lots of teams have tried that slow, switching ball use against us and it never works. I remember Port trying it in 2022 and they didn't score a goal until the 3rd quarter. Not sure what they were thinking there, they looked much better when they changed it up in the second.
  • Injuries to May and Lever. Fortunately we have depth in that part of the ground, but it's going to make what was already going to be a tough run of games before the bye all that much tougher.

Apart from possible injuries to May and Lever , happy to belt the Hawks . Oliver is definitely lowering his eyes a lot more which is good to see . Trac was superb , Sparrow pulled his digit out and had a good game too . The one question mark for me is B.Brown , if its delivered to him and he marks it fair enough , once it hits the deck he might as well not be there .
Happy to be patient with Windsor , couple of times he out thought himself and missed his kicks but i think he will be a good pickup .
Howes has been a surprise , T-Mac solid down back , ANB very good , all in all a very poor Hawks team . Next 3 games will sort us out one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players carrying nicknames from their junior days is asking for trouble. Call Watson The Wizard when he does something close to warranting it. Worst description of a player since Beast Mode when he ducked his way into receiving 6 high tackle frees on debut.
The funniest thing about Beast Mode was that he came up with it himself :$

The Melbourne defensive unit is absolutely humming.Pressure was great. Optimised by the Petracca spoil late when the game was well and truly over. Hawks couldn’t move the footy. They played too safe and spent a lot of time playing kick to kick at half back. Just played into Melbourne’s hands.
Was also impressed with the way we played with May and Lever off in the second half. Obviously Hawks still rebuilding but good performance by the Dees.

Enjoyable win honestly, not sure where we will go this year but aside from patches in the 2nd and 3rd that was a pretty satisfying game.
Was a fun game! I make it a thing to go to the footy everytime we play Hawks now because I got reamed for years by my Hawks mates! Getting some serious payback now! A lot of my Hawks mates have disappeared of course the cowards! Just me and 2 of them left today at the game. Lots of banter and a big fn smile on my face for most of it! How good to beat these p***s like that more often than not these days!

GOOD

Thought Trac was enormous! God he's bloody fun to watch! Same with Koz when he's terrorising backlines like that.

Great to see Fritta back on song.

I thought today was the exact reason Petty would be a huge loss if he left. No May, No Lever, he just slotted in nicely.

Howes is surprising me by the week by how comfortable he looks. Next few games will be the real test, but looks like he belongs.

Consistent effort across the board today. Good signs from Lingers and Salem. JVR played an underrated game I thought. Hopefully that translated on the screen. ANB and Viney are so important because of the intensity they bring week in week out. Both are among the first picked every week. Billings proving he would have been bloody handy last two years in finals. So far he's been a great addition.

BAD

Too tall in the F50 with Petty and Brown and JVR. Just didn't feel right that first half. Brown will eventually get dropped, but with May's injury Petty will most likely go to defence next few weeks.

That 2nd quarter. Hawks were unlucky they didn't have a few more on the board. They had the run of play and we resorted back to that long bombing game. They miss Will Day big time and look a little light on in defence with injuries, but they'll be pushing for finals next season i reckon.

UGLY

Injuries. May will be missing which leaves us exposed against quality opposition next few games. Hopefully he's ok, but Lever is replaceable.

Nick 'The Wizard' Watson! Can we save the Wizard nickname until he earns it! Even the Hawks supporters were jeering him. FFS

I'm certain in the broadcast that i heard Gerard say that Kozzy played bad against the swans. Might have misheard but if true, well yeah it's true he had a bad game, he wasn't on the field

Good:
  • 4 quarter defensive pressure all across the field.
  • Howes showing some more defensive nous than he's shown in previous weeks.

Bad:
- The chippity chip game style of Hawks. My God, if you're going to lose, go down trying to take the game on.

Ugly:
-Injury to May and potentially having to put Petty back resulting in another horrendous forward line.

Hawks fans watching the first quarter
images

51 Uncontested 1st quarter marks and nothing but a behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back