Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Tomlinson or Smith IMO. Fairly clear one of them has to be in as second KPD. I'd prefer Smith I reckon, but don't mind if its Tomlinson for McLean. As above, I think Lever was moved around multiple times because of how poor Tomlinson was on the lead.

Couldn't disagree more. You're speaking with your Tomo hate boner. It's a fact, Lever plays best when Tomo is back there.

It gives him confidence too, which I feel feeds into his 1:1 game. He won some really good 1:1s today.

I agree but most (if not all) of his one on one wins were against whippets. Its when he has to defend the bigger guys he looks a different player and cant play his natural game.

Its Tomlinson or Smith IMO. Fairly clear one of them has to be in as second KPD. I'd prefer Smith I reckon, but don't mind if its Tomlinson for McLean. As above, I think Lever was moved around multiple times because of how poor Tomlinson was on the lead.
Thought Tomlinson was bad but reckon overall he's a better defender than Smith. Smith looked very lost in the backline for the first half last week.

Thought Tomlinson was bad but reckon overall he's a better defender than Smith. Smith looked very lost in the backline for the first half last week.

Smith has too short of an attention span and too many brain farts to trust him to play 4 solid quarters in defense. I dont mind us swinging him back there if the opposition subs out a bigger guy and we need to get faster in D50 for a quarter or two but thats it. Think hes far better suited up forward where he can bob up and kick a goal or two and create some defensive pressure, any potential brain farts dont cost us as much down that end of the ground either.

I thought Lawrie showed signs. That high half forward role is a rough gig but he had a couple of moments of class - the banana kick pass on the boundary to Melk just before halftime and the blind spin in tight on the back flank to get the ball moving upfield in the last.

Didn't get heaps of it and I'm still not confident he'll 'make it' but worth persevering with over JJ or Harmes as 22nd picked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m glad Laurie at least showed flashes of what I think are his VFL differentiators in an AFL game.

It was a step forward for him but he hardly nailed down his spot.

He was definitely overawed at times.

A big risk sticking with a guy who doesn’t believe in himself yet and could freeze in game in a final.

It wouldn’t shock me to see them go back to Spargo just because he’s been there and done that before. It would be the safe move.

Smith has too short of an attention span and too many brain farts to trust him to play 4 solid quarters in defense. I dont mind us swinging him back there if the opposition subs out a bigger guy and we need to get faster in D50 for a quarter or two but thats it. Think hes far better suited up forward where he can bob up and kick a goal or two and create some defensive pressure, any potential brain farts dont cost us as much dont that end of the ground either.
His leap and athleticism is a much better weapon up forward. Hard to defend when he can run and jump at the ball and not too bad when the ball hits the deck. Also appears to have improved his set shots.

I think Tmac will replace him next week unfortunately but as long as Smith is sub I won't be too upset. He's even more dangerous when he's coming on late in the game with fresh legs.

Smith has too short of an attention span and too many brain farts to trust him to play 4 solid quarters in defense. I dont mind us swinging him back there if the opposition subs out a bigger guy and we need to get faster in D50 for a quarter or two but thats it. Think hes far better suited up forward where he can bob up and kick a goal or two and create some defensive pressure, any potential brain farts dont cost us as much dont that end of the ground either.
100%.

Backline is all about the structures and being disciplined, reliable and predictable to your teammates. Tommo is far better at those things even if he’s physically not a patch on Smith’s explosiveness.

His leap and athleticism is a much better weapon up forward. Hard to defend when he can run and jump at the ball and not too bad when the ball hits the deck. Also appears to have improved his set shots.

Smith plays kind of like a third man up in forward marking contests by using his speed and jump. He’d be a nightmare to defend.

I still prefer him as the sub though.

I think Tmac will replace him next week unfortunately but as long as Smith is sub I won't be too upset. He's even more dangerous when he's coming on late in the game with fresh legs.

I really hope we aren't married to TMac going into finals, gets one week to prove himself and if hes still looking like a 75 year old and has the turning circle of the Queen Mary he's straight back out.

Particularly if we are playing the Pies, we need all hands on deck for defensive pressure in our front half, regardless of what TMac does this week id be playing Smith the entire game in the F50 vs the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith plays kind of like a third man up in forward marking contests by using his speed and jump. He’d be a nightmare to defend.

I still prefer him as the sub though.
Ideally I'd just do Fritsch in and Smith the sub as the only change. But I'm convinced we bring Tmac in. Especially after he supposedly moved like he was 5'5" at Casey today.

you know it's happening unfortunately
The coaching group have dropped Brown, McDonald, Grundy, Schache and Smith this year. Its total veil areas to suggest they'll just stick with McDonald come what may for ~reasons~.

As good a clip i've seen Goody give an oppo player in a presser

Unusual for Goody to have a sook. Certainly more interesting than his regular boring answers.

What Hawthorn do with Maguinness is a negative tactic, but it’s basically reducing the game to 17 vs. 17.

And all Hawthorn lose is a player who isn’t talented enough to play at AFL level as an attacking player anyway, and the opposition lose their best midfielder.

I think it’s a smart tactical move.

It was funny to hear him say something controversial for once, but I reckon that attitude is a bit off and it showed in Oliver's reaction. Clayton clearly got annoyed by it, which is ridiculous because Magginess did exactly what anyone in the country could have told you he'd do. Pinched, niggled, whispered in his ear, held him just legally enough at contests. Clarry had to have the discipline to ignore it, and this is partially on Goody.

Small potatoes issue here, it made no difference in the end and they ended up tagging Riv in the 4th, but other clubs will try it now.

Goody was also VERY slow to move Petracca into the middle once it became clear Clarry was being held. That was just playing into Mitchell's hands.

Lot of sooking on Dorks board about Goody’s comment so that’s good.

I don’t get the fuss over it.

FWIW I quite like tagging as a tactic, I don’t understand why it’s not used more. If you can sacrifice a plodder to take out a star why not.

Gee, are we really going to be a team who has a cry when one of our best players isn't allowed free rein to do what he wants coz a player from the opposition is doing his job well? Embarrassing.

Lot of sooking on Dorks board about Goody’s comment so that’s good.

I don’t get the fuss over it.

FWIW I quite like tagging as a tactic, I don’t understand why it’s not used more. If you can sacrifice a plodder to take out a star why not.
if I were Finn I would take Goodwins words as a compliment. nothing to it imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back