Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just happy to lock away top 4. Hawks turned the game into a very unfinals like game. Flooding numbers back. Playing kick to kick. Constant switching until someone was free. We just had to hang in and wore them down.

Gee, are we really going to be a team who has a cry when one of our best player isn't allowed free rein coz a player from the opposition is doing his job well? Embarrassing.
Goodwin looked unusually annoyed, maybe it’s about bringing umpire attention to it with the finals in mind?

Brisbane have used Berry to tag, Port might use Drew.

Given how well the mids operated without Oliver for half the season surely they should just put Oliver somewhere else if he gets a hard tag. Who cares if Clarry only gets 10 touches as a forward or a half back so long as the team wins its finals? I’d still back him in to score or create a couple of goals forward even with a hard tag on.

Goodwin looked unusually annoyed, maybe it’s about bringing umpire attention to it with the finals in mind?

Brisbane have used Berry to tag, Port might use Drew.

Given how well the mids operated without Oliver for half the season surely they should just put Oliver somewhere else if he gets a hard tag. Who cares if Clarry only gets 10 touches as a forward or a half back so long as the team wins its finals? I’d still back him in to score or create a couple of goals forward even with a hard tag on.

Yep plonk Oliver at FF if need be and try and get him one out if the tag follows, if not rotate with Trac and Kozzy, run the tag into the ground by throwing different players at them constantly. We need a better plan than what we had today.

Was just happy to lock away top 4. Hawks turned the game into a very unfinals like game. Flooding numbers back. Playing kick to kick. Constant switching until someone was free. We just had to hang in and wore them down.
Bruise Free you say?

Big ugly that a 32 year old medium forward was basically the difference in the game.
Yeah this is where I put the veil of negativity on. Our forwards are too inconsistent, it wouldn't be a problem with Petty in the team but I'm not convinced our forwards can step up for finals. Hopefully fritsch can help but he's been out for such a long time.

I thought that this was one of the more tactical games of the season.

Hawthorn nullified Petracca and Oliver very well but the B team for Melbourne stood up and the Hawks realised they could not win the game unless they stopped tagging. So that let Petracca and Oliver get more involved in the last quarter and a fairly easy win at the end.

That is the big problem for opposition teams. Sure stop Oliver but Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Rivers will all step up and Dee's will win the game. I think the coaching group recognised this.

Really solid efforts from
Lever (underatted kick)
Melksham
Sparrow and Rivers

What really annoyed me was some elements of the Media. The Suns last week dropped a tag on Gulden so they could try and win and the coach (King) got criticised for doing that. This game Mitchell does the same thing, drops the tag to win the game, and not a word.

Yesterday an ideal opportunity to throw Kozzie on ball for periods and bring Tracc or Clarry to the goalmouth, but yet again Goodwin failed to do it. He’s going to need a few tricks up his sleeve during the finals and this seemed like one he absolutely needed to put some time into yesterday.

Not helping Kozzie’s form heading into September to be touching the leather five times.

43202C64-7295-4635-AAA9-70A210488C11.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JVR and Smith did enough, but our smalls were ineffective around goals.

Really need two of Kozzy, Chin, ANB and Trac to snag a few week in, week out.
Spouse it's not necessarily the goal number they need to impact though, Melksham had 9 shots on goal or something which is crazy unrealistic but just felt like his overall impact and willingness to get dirty was above his teammates. Melk looked like he was playing a GF while alot of his teammates were playing a dead rubber

Yeah this is where I put the veil of negativity on. Our forwards are too inconsistent, it wouldn't be a problem with Petty in the team but I'm not convinced our forwards can step up for finals. Hopefully fritsch can help but he's been out for such a long time.
Yeah but we did still score decent again. I don't think we need 6 in form forwards necessarily just a group that works hard and one or two can benefit. Melk had a huge game, he probably never plays that well again but that's ok as long as they all work hard next time for someone else's go. That's why I hate Brown Grundy or anyone else down their is they don't assist the rest of the forwards

Yeah but we did still score decent again. I don't think we need 6 in form forwards necessarily just a group that works hard and one or two can benefit. Melk had a huge game, he probably never plays that well again but that's ok as long as they all work hard next time for someone else's go. That's why I hate Brown Grundy or anyone else down their is they don't assist the rest of the forwards
I'm hoping when fritsch comes back it will help with melksham's game. Initially I had melksham holding fritsch's spot but now I think he has cemented his spot, and I'm not sure we've really seen a forward line with both. I still think our forwards are too inconsistent but it's better than the alternatives of Brown, tmac, Grundy ect.

Spouse it's not necessarily the goal number they need to impact though, Melksham had 9 shots on goal or something which is crazy unrealistic but just felt like his overall impact and willingness to get dirty was above his teammates. Melk looked like he was playing a GF while alot of his teammates were playing a dead rubber

True. If they all played with Melks intent then the goals will come anyway (for them, or for others via opportunities they create).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back