Review Dees v the Western Bulldogs & the Ghost of Scragger – the Good, Bady & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright made it back from Melbourne

First part i'd like to address from my latest adventure, what the * happened to the GA at gate 3 between the MCC and cheersquad on level 1? Did the MCC figure out shade is desirable and you can charge people extra to sit there? Years prior to covid and even in round 1 2021 I could sit there. As expected regular GA shifted to cook in the sun. Let me sit in the shade if you're gonna charge me $6 for chips k thx

Still somewhat on the subject of the MCG, why on a 30C with a game starting at 1pm where the ******* light towers on? This aint cricket surely it's bright enough to see a red footy and look good on TV. MCG we are the green stadium, but we will run the heritage listed light towers in clear daylight!

So with that out of the way, observations on the team!

The umpires after the Adelaide Sydney game last year are very timid aren't they? I think we had five reviews for the match, one that needed it, and like 3 or 4 of them where in the first quarter

Tmac and BBB first off, performed high above my expectations. Tmac in particular back in defence, looked composed and against my memories of his early defence days, could hit kicks. Did look slow trailing blokes like JUH when they where able to lead. BBB looked to get his confidence going off one patch in the second, serviceable and decent. I never thought in 2024 we'd wedge both of them into the same team and they'd go well, so I'll take that for one game

Forward line, particularly in the first quarter. They just do not lead at all. It's rather depressing to watch in person. This will cost us, because not every game Van Rooyen is going to get easy snaps at the back of the pack (Or chandler for that matter)

Windsor, looked clean and sharp

Hore, Hasn't missed a beat

Oliver, surprisingly decent by foot. Obvs accumulated well but seemed to look around a lot even when I thought he was for sure going to have a ping

First 5 minutes we where dangerously asleep to start the game

Still some easy transition for the opposition at times, Gawn missed a set shot in the last and the dogs went coast to coast on a kick in

Fritsch was my call for a drop off in the time capsule, i still feel it's the case. He's still handy and will bob up and kick his four like last week. He's just so off that it's noticeable. He was pretty well held today but when he did have chances, other than the barrel attempt he wasted them all that should be gettable by his standards. Even things like Carlton in preseason, kicking into the man on the mark and stuff. He's just not his complete self at the moment

Lever also was eh? Not as awful as last week, but not stand out. Tmac stood out more than he did

Billings goes alright (other than when he s**t himself at half forward)

No boos on Harmes, which i was fine with. There was a moment where some boos went up but where quickly given up on and then i never really heard them again until he had a tussle with May. Which btw lol at Harmes going for the same fend s**t he did here and getting caught

This is very very much a hold performance. Not forgiven for the s**t last week and not out the woods yet.

We looked great against the dogs and Sydney last year aswell before they fell apart. Give me more than 1 half decent game pls

Alright made it back from Melbourne

First part i'd like to address from my latest adventure, what the * happened to the GA at gate 3 between the MCC and cheersquad on level 1? Did the MCC figure out shade is desirable and you can charge people extra to sit there? Years prior to covid and even in round 1 2021 I could sit there. As expected regular GA shifted to cook in the sun. Let me sit in the shade if you're gonna charge me $6 for chips k thx

Highly recommend heading around to about M11. That's about as far around as you can go and still be GA. It puts you around about the 50 out. You can go just past the stairs (going down) if you want to sit, and you get the shade pretty much the whole game, or you can stand at the back, which is a great spot if you're there with mates as opposed to the fam - Easy to get to the bar, great view, and plenty of banter.

Well that was weird. Felt like I watched both Brown and TMac being serviceable. I was high though.
No I think they were. And I only had a pie and a can on solo

In the Three Quarter Time fan engagement activity - The Demon Dash, participants are asked to race in a 100m sprint against an animated caricature of a current Melbourne player.

Participants are given a random player to race against. This could be anyone from Christian Petracca to Ben Brown.

In this case, the participant landed on Kysaiah Pickett, a player known for his speed. The game master (former Melbourne goalkicker Russell Robertson) seemed to believe drawing Pickett was unfair, and as a result gave the participant a 50 metre head start.

She won easily and earned herself a New Balance voucher as well as a small discount of New Balance apparel for Melbourne Members.

I contend the result was illegitimate due to the enormous advantage the participant was given.
Genuinely laughed all the way through this. The most proper explanation you could ask for! Well done!

A very workmanlike performance, but you gotta bank the wins when you can. It will be nice to have a week where we won't be the topic of the "are they any good" discussion, it feels like we've been questioned non-stop since September last year.

Good
  • Billings will be a very handy acquisition for us. 13 marks shows that he is prepared to work hard and knows how to find space. Above average kicking (for our standards anyway :tearsofjoy:) is a plus
  • I love seeing Tim English get pantsed more than just about anything on a footy field, probably my most despised player. Enjoy your once-in-a-lifetime AA Timmy, you'll revert to type soon enough
  • Back 6. When they are on they just hum like a well maintained car. A couple of hiccups early (not helped by lack of pressure) but did everything right from there
  • Spread of goalkickers. Sometimes this feels like a bit of a negative, but having so many players kicking goals early in the year will help their confidence.
  • Matt Hill in commentary. Amazing what happens when you get someone in who is a professional broadcaster, not a washed up footballer or a wannabe celebrity. Clearly has a distinctive voice too... The wife wandered in and asked who it was because it sounded like a horse race for footballers.
Bad
  • Fritch's goal kicking. He used to be a put down your glasses kinda guy, now he's worse that 50:50. Hopefully it's just the yips and he's back on track soon
  • Tim English being allowed to constantly drape an arm over the opposing ruckman's shoulder. I reckon it happened to Roo at least half a dozen times. Dishonourable mention to the umpire that forgot that a player is allowed to attack the ball, pick it up and bounce off his opponent. Credit to Maysie for not going absolutely postal after that!
Ugly
  • Anthony Hudson not knowing KADE Chandler's first name. I thought someone would whisper in his hear after the first time, clearly they didn't.
  • Our fascination with zinc cream. Trac, you have beautifully cultivated central European skin, why on earth would you feel the need to make yourself look like a bad mime artist? He wasn't alone either!

tmac and bbb. I take back all those nasty things I said.
Apologies.

The Good - when Bevo does it tough in the after-match press conference. Mandatory watching!

Westernfail Dogs - it is time to slay the sacred cow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tmac and bbb. I take back all those nasty things I said.
Apologies.
It's a wait and see for me. Let's wait and see how they go against better opposition. The next month is pretty big.

The one thing about Ben Brown is that he at least leads to the kicker. He's about our only forward who does consistently. I like this about McAdam too, so hopefully he's fit soon. Petty is pretty good also. JVR i feel wants a contest, and who knows wtf Fritta does. He's usually leading into the pocket or looking for an easy ball.

Tmac was very good. Held his opponents goalless. Had 8 intercepts. His kicking was sound. Couldn't ask for much more. Can he keep that up? Not sure, but I'd say he'll keep Tomlinson out of the side with performances like that. Tomo seems more intent just to stop his opponent than to intercept of create plays.

I was high though.
Further to this, was there a random horse racing caller inserted into the commentary box who thought half our team was Sparrow while Sparrow actually did nothing, and did he have a Hitler moustache or was that just an unfortunate shadow under his nose in his profile photo?

Further to this, did I imagine all of the above?

2 minutes left in the first quarter. Windsor Sheppards his man on a shitty high ball then taps it on to Viney and sheppards again, ball gets turned over, ball then is smothered, he gathers the ball on his knees, goes to handball to Viney calling for it running past and somehow stops just before hitting it because a Dog is going to cut in and steal it, then gets the pass cleanly off to Viney going wing side, essentially pump faking the bloke out of the play and we're off.

campaigner has so much composure under pressure. Compare to say Jimmeh Toumpass

2 minutes left in the first quarter. Windsor Sheppards his man on a shitty high ball then taps it on to Viney and sheppards again, ball gets turned over, ball then is smothered, he gathers the ball on his knees, goes to handball to Viney calling for it running past and somehow stops just before hitting it because a Dog is going to cut in and steal it, then gets the pass cleanly off to Viney going wing side, essentially pump faking the bloke out of the play and we're off.

campaigner has so much composure under pressure. Compare to say Jimmeh Toumpass
Please post photo's Windsor's handballing action so that i may compare it to other players thanks

10 minutes to go in the third, May misses a kick to Windsor, Dogs bloke sprints forward, Windsor catches and dumps him 30 out. Hit Oliver from the free on 50 and is almost there to take the inside handball back but Oliver looks away and passes to Salem on the outside instead. Handball is slightly ahead of Salem and he fumbles it and has to flub a pass back to Oliver. Oliver and Salem go again and eventually Salem hits a handball on the bounce out back towards 50. Windsor has cut back behind to stop it getting out back, gets past two opponents to the drop and collects the ball, does a couple of pivots to buy time on the boundary and then gets it back to Oliver who does shimmies clear to kick the ball to Trac.

Love this kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back