Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We're 7 weeks into the season proper and

1714293007885.png

And I do like her hat fwiw. Although it does look a little weighty, but fashion isn't my thing. So you can all list one player, and I will send that to the club via registered mail. As I was going through mums stuff and found a whack of these. TBH not sure how many I will need.

1714293271572.png

It will be addressed to whoever is taking over from Brady Rawlings.

Fire away and God speed as we darn well say !

My preference is to keep the squad intact as chopping and changing wasn't good for Digby Morale and it probably isn't good for us either.
I'd rather be 0/23 and have a happy chipper crew than setting the bar for playing finals.

At this stage of the season I’d go

Taylor
Free
Greenwood
Shiels
Greenwood
Hansen Jr
Thomas
Pink

Lazzaro and Phillips are line ball but not giving up on them yet. 8 is more than enough turnover anyway especially if Zurhaar exercises FA.

I think rather than stamping papers the coaches should try these guys in different roles.

Curt Taylor a spud wing/half forward? Have a crack at a 3rd tall defender. Could Pink be a target up forward?

There is nothing good about the status quo, so the George Costanza theory has legs in our case.

Shiels (ret)
Greenwood (ret)
Zurhaar (f.a)
Taylor
Pink
Free
Thomas (already gone)
Rhj

8 is enough even if others deserve it more

Greenwood
Taylor
Shiels
Thomas
Biggie
Pink
Free
Hansen Jr
Stephenson (trade or rookie)
Corr (trade)
Tucker (rookie)
CCJ (rookie)
Phillips (rookie)

Stephenson, Corr, Tucker and CCJ all have deals for 2025 but if we can trade or rookie them then that can free up spots. Phillips wont be given a deal ahead of Lazzaro.

With our age profile, solution to get out of our current predicament shouldn't rely on rotating players in and out. we're just getting younger and less experienced with each off season.
Ultimately we've gotta figure out what motivates them to do the work required because the sunshine/rainbows and the promise of in a few years we'll have a dominate midfield isn't cutting it.

I was recently watching a WWII documentary and a lot of these young men had facial hair similar to Geelong footballers. I found that rather interesting.
But my focus soon shifted to what the old bomber command came up with. They decided that in the mess hall the bomber crews weren't allowed to sit in the same spot but to move around, as losses were extremely heavy. This was a way of making it less obvious that old mate had not returned. Rather tragic.

That got me thinking, with the amount of players we a have delisted every year for four years, it may be worth North moving the lockers around. No more ascending order as it's to obvious that we've moved on another dirty dozen.

Yes the jig may well be up once our on field performance improves and those remaining few players look around and realise that it isn't CCJ in number 21. it is someone else who just banged through his 7.

And heck we won

oh well

I was recently watching a WWII documentary and a lot of these young men had facial hair similar to Geelong footballers. I found that rather interesting.
But my focus soon shifted to what the old bomber command came up with. They decided that in the mess hall the bomber crews weren't allowed to sit in the same spot but to move around, as losses were extremely heavy. This was a way of making it less obvious that old mate had not returned. Rather tragic.

That got me thinking, with the amount of players we a have delisted every year for four years, it may be worth North moving the lockers around. No more ascending order as it's to obvious that we've moved on another dirty dozen.

Yes the jig may well be up once our on field performance improves and those remaining few players look around and realise that it isn't CCJ in number 21. it is someone else who just banged through his 7.

And * we won

oh well
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us..

You should have a look at the intensity at training footage in the other tread. somethings seriously wrong, we dump a dozen new kids in that environment and they’ll be lazy with no urgency in couple of weeks too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't be too trigger happy alas you get the 2020 effect.

Just remember, a lot of the players on the list won't improve until the top end talents establish and start to perform more consistently.

We can't be too trigger happy alas you get the 2020 effect.

There's a minimum number of players we have to part ways with though;

To cover the list positions of;
  • Any National draft picks (inc free agency compensation/priority picks)
  • Any Rookie draft picks
  • Any players we bring in via Free Agency
  • Any players we bring in via Trade
It's impossible to definitively say how many we will need to part ways with, but it'll likely be in the realm of 6-8 is my guess.

There's a minimum number of players we have to part ways with though;

To cover the list positions of;
  • Any National draft picks (inc free agency compensation/priority picks)
  • Any Rookie draft picks
  • Any players we bring in via Free Agency
  • Any players we bring in via Trade
It's impossible to definitively say how many we will need to part ways with, but it'll likely be in the realm of 6-8 is my guess.

Sure but we probaly need some of those seemingly non-performing midtier players who can become solid buffers in a developing team.

Sure but we probaly need some of those seemingly non-performing midtier players who can become solid buffers in a developing team.
Sure but it also comes down to who is out of contract.

From this list of players whose contract is up this year, who are the (for example's sake) 8 players you'd cut?

Bailey Scott
Blake Drury
Brayden George
Cameron Zurhaar
Charlie Lazzaro
Cooper Harvey
Curtis Taylor
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Toby Pink
Tyler Sellers
Will Phillips

Sure but it also comes down to who is out of contract.

From this list of players whose contract is up this year, who are the (for example's sake) 8 players you'd cut?

Bailey Scott
Blake Drury
Brayden George
Cameron Zurhaar
Charlie Lazzaro
Cooper Harvey
Curtis Taylor
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Toby Pink
Tyler Sellers
Will Phillips

I’d suspect Shiels and Greenwood would be gone. Probably retire.

I can’t argue a case for Free to stay. He looks like he doesn’t even know what he’s doing here.

As for the rest, a lot can change in the next few months. For various reasons.

I’d suspect Shiels and Greenwood would be gone. Probably retire.

I can’t argue a case for Free to stay. He looks like he doesn’t even know what he’s doing here.

As for the rest, a lot can change in the next few months. For various reasons.

The first few 'cuts' are easier to decide than the first few 'definite keeps'.

From the list, the ones I'd definitely consider KEEPING are in bold;

Bailey Scott
Blake Drury
Brayden George
Cameron Zurhaar

Charlie Lazzaro
Cooper Harvey
Curtis Taylor
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Toby Pink
Tyler Sellers
Will Phillips

To me these 6 bolded guys have either already proven themselves, or not yet had the proper opportunity to prove themselves but are showing enough potential to believe that they're worth keeping.

Choosing another 4 or 5 guys to keep in addition to the bolded ones is where it gets really tricky. Tough decisions coming at the end of this year.

The first few 'cuts' are easier to decide than the first few 'definite keeps'.

From the list, the ones I'd definitely consider KEEPING are in bold;

Bailey Scott
Blake Drury
Brayden George
Cameron Zurhaar

Charlie Lazzaro
Cooper Harvey
Curtis Taylor
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Toby Pink
Tyler Sellers
Will Phillips

To me these 6 bolded guys have either already proven themselves, or not yet had the proper opportunity to prove themselves but are showing enough potential to believe that they're worth keeping.

Choosing another 4 or 5 guys to keep in addition to the bolded ones is where it gets really tricky. Tough decisions coming at the end of this year.
Ford > Maley, Philips, Dawson, George

Ford > Maley, Philips, Dawson, George

Maybe, but for me it comes down to existing depth/competition at the same list spots.

I keep Maley and Dawson as we do not have good tall depth and these guys are young and should finally be ready to compete for a best 22 spot in the next year or so. BigMenTakeTime(c).

Brayden George you keep because his potential is supposedly incredible, and we just haven't gotten to see it yet due to injuries.

Will Phillips over Ford, for me, would be about depth; considering Ford is somewhat of a winger/HFF, he's competing with contracted players such as McKercher, Simpkin, Duursma, Curtis, Stephenson, Stephens, B.Scott, etc. (And Brayden George).

Where as Phillips as a contested mid is "only" competing with guys like Wardlaw and LDU.

This is not a slight against Ford at all. I like the kid. I hope we figure out a way to keep him without losing other quality prospects/players too.

But, not to be a broken record, but the end of 2024 is going to involve some painful farewells for our list I predict.

If we do a lot delistings, we need to make sure we replace some of them them with mature age replacements

The only players I would more than likely delist right now would be Free, Stephenson and Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back