Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone had a positive experience with antidepressants? They were always a last resort for me. Not sure why, just s**t scared of them. I've seen them work for some people, while I've seen others become completely reliant on them. I don't have an addictive personality at all, which I suppose should help. Despite only socially smoking beforehand, I went to Indonesia for a month in 2018, and found myself smoking a pack a day. Came back and didn't find myself craving them or anything. So, I'm not sure if it's fears of becoming reliant on them, or addicted or anything.

They've always just been a last resort for me, I guess. I've always wanted to get better, rather than simply cope when I feel like this, but I think I'm losing that battle at the moment. I'm still able to go out and occasionally have fun, and spend some quality time with mates, but the time I spend in my own head is hell at the moment, to be completely honest. I'm seeing a psychologist and my GP has been quite supportive, telling me the option is there if I need it, without pushing them on to me.

Has anyone found antidepressants to be helpful for them, or anyone they know? I'm going to see my GP today, and I'm having second thoughts, but I'm also completely drained, and think I need to be able to find temporary solace while I'm alone.

Has anyone had a positive experience with antidepressants? They were always a last resort for me. Not sure why, just s**t scared of them. I've seen them work for some people, while I've seen others become completely reliant on them. I don't have an addictive personality at all, which I suppose should help. Despite only socially smoking beforehand, I went to Indonesia for a month in 2018, and found myself smoking a pack a day. Came back and didn't find myself craving them or anything. So, I'm not sure if it's fears of becoming reliant on them, or addicted or anything.

They've always just been a last resort for me, I guess. I've always wanted to get better, rather than simply cope when I feel like this, but I think I'm losing that battle at the moment. I'm still able to go out and occasionally have fun, and spend some quality time with mates, but the time I spend in my own head is hell at the moment, to be completely honest. I'm seeing a psychologist and my GP has been quite supportive, telling me the option is there if I need it, without pushing them on to me.

Has anyone found antidepressants to be helpful for them, or anyone they know? I'm going to see my GP today, and I'm having second thoughts, but I'm also completely drained, and think I need to be able to find temporary solace while I'm alone.

I think the problem is the unknown perception of what “anti depressant” means in terms of current day options that are out there. Basically these days, it’s just a common medication that can give your mind a wheel alignment, as a metaphor, it’s fairly harmless and easy science and when people stop taking them, it’s slowly weened off and monitored by you and a doctor.

I find citalopram is great, it basically stabilises your mood. I’d highly recommend it for people with chronic issues, such as, constant negative thinking, so people who arent getting anywhere in life because of constant rumination would likely benefit drastically from this as well as a good health plan and probably some Councilling. Most people don’t get side effects, but some people can. like anything. Remember that many people are on varying forms of medication, think blood pressure, think thyroid, just about anything these days.

the best thing about the medication is that it balances everything out nicely again, and you just feel normal again, there is no high or anything like that. you simply don’t worry about the past or future as much or feel anxious like you would if you have depression and anxiety, it stabilises and weeds out ruminating the same junk thoughts over and over again, which is the debilitating side of chronic anxiety or low mood and it seems to treat all of those problems at the same time, meaning, low mood, anxiety, and low self esteem, enough that you feel your old self, or the person you were years before depression set in. It’s basically rebalancing your thinking back to a healthy level, which I think is very worthwhile.

For people who are stuck or going nowhere, it’s likely a very good option, for people who can get themselves better on their own, probably not as necessary.

it’s really a question of chronic problems for years versus people just having the odd bad month or day every so often.

Last edited:

I think the problem is the unknown perception of what “anti depressant” means in terms of current day options that are out there. Basically these days, it’s just a common medication that can give your mind a wheel alignment, as a metaphor, it’s fairly harmless and easy science and when people stop taking them, it’s slowly weened off and monitored by you and a doctor.

I find citalopram is great, it basically stabilises your mood. I’d highly recommend it for people with chronic issues, such as, constant negative thinking, so people who arent getting anywhere in life because of constant rumination would likely benefit drastically from this as well as a good health plan and probably some Councilling. Most people don’t get side effects, but some people can. like anything. Remember that many people are on varying forms of medication, think blood pressure, think thyroid, just about anything these days.

the best thing about the medication is that it balances everything out nicely again, and you just feel normal again, there is no high or anything like that. you simply don’t worry about the past or future as much or feel anxious like you would if you have depression and anxiety, it stabilises and weeds out ruminating the same junk thoughts over and over again, which is the debilitating side of chronic anxiety or low mood and it seems to treat all of those problems at the same time, meaning, low mood, anxiety, and low self esteem, enough that you feel your old self, or the person you were years before depression set in. It’s basically rebalancing your thinking back to a healthy level,ich I think is very worthwhile.

For people who are stuck or going nowhere, it’s likely a very good option, for people who can get themselves better on their own, probably not as necessary.

it’s really a question of chronic problems for years versus people just having the odd bad month or day every so often.
Thanks for this, mate. I think what made me decide it was a path I had to go down was that while I knew that my issues were really flaring up at the moment, that they'd undoubtedly been there - sometimes more noticeable than others - for a number of years. My GP was quite realistic and supportive about it without really trying to push them onto me.

I'm on sertraline at the moment, so we will see how it goes. Sounds like it can be a godsend for some people, but others experience side effects that seem to just make things worse. Some people experience really intense nausea or increased anxiety (albeit in a less panicked way), but I didn't find that to be the case for me when I first took it yesterday. No nausea at all, in fact. Hopefully it stays that way, and my GP can gradually bump my dosage up, in which case, he thinks it will start to take full effect after around 6 weeks. Also got some valium for while things are really bad, and have to say, it was really nice being able to be in a calm, and stable mood before going to sleep.

Curious to hear if anyone else has any experience with sertraline. Sounds like it really works for some people and doesn't at all for others. Either way, at least it's a start.

Thanks for this, mate. I think what made me decide it was a path I had to go down was that while I knew that my issues were really flaring up at the moment, that they'd undoubtedly been there - sometimes more noticeable than others - for a number of years. My GP was quite realistic and supportive about it without really trying to push them onto me.

I'm on sertraline at the moment, so we will see how it goes. Sounds like it can be a godsend for some people, but others experience side effects that seem to just make things worse. Some people experience really intense nausea or increased anxiety (albeit in a less panicked way), but I didn't find that to be the case for me when I first took it yesterday. No nausea at all, in fact. Hopefully it stays that way, and my GP can gradually bump my dosage up, in which case, he thinks it will start to take full effect after around 6 weeks. Also got some valium for while things are really bad, and have to say, it was really nice being able to be in a calm, and stable mood before going to sleep.

Curious to hear if anyone else has any experience with sertraline. Sounds like it really works for some people and doesn't at all for others. Either way, at least it's a start.

Anti Depressants. I decided to just stay depressed after trying and what will be will be.
Drowsiness, failure to orgasm, chronic acne.. yeah nah...I top myself then I top myself whatever.

guys one of the best remedys for depression and anxiety is exercise. Get into a regurlar program even if it's just a 30 min walk outside once or twice a day and after you do it, then unwind you will notice a tremendous difference. Do this consistently for even just one weeek and your modd will improve.

Regular fresh air, sun and exercise is so benficial for general health and well being. This will give you positive energy. Just give it a go.

I know quite a few people where AD's have been helpful.

AD's were always a last resort for me as well as my general thought has been that once you are on them, you stay on them for good. I didn't want that but I reached last resort stage so saw someone about it.

I've been on Escitalopram for 6 weeks and its been a complete rollercoaster. I got told it would take 4 weeks to stabilise everything and you just have to ride it out. First week I felt high as a kite so felt on top of the world. 2nd and 3rd week I crashed massively, because twice as agitated and honestly felt like all i wanted to do each day for 2 weeks was end my life. 4th week was an improvement. The last two weeks my mood has been very stable so it's definitely helped from what I was like before I went on it.

guys one of the best remedys for depression and anxiety is exercise. Get into a regurlar program even if it's just a 30 min walk outside once or twice a day and after you do it, then unwind you will notice a tremendous difference. Do this consistently for even just one weeek and your modd will improve.

Regular fresh air, sun and exercise is so benficial for general health and well being. This will give you positive energy. Just give it a go.

I'm finding it makes my depression worse.

I'm finding it makes my depression worse.

What time of the day do you try and get some exercise in?

Maybe take small steps when starting out. Maybe a walk around your block a couple of times first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

I hope you're all doing good. Life is a struggle and grind at times ( most of the time or all of the time for most ) but keep at it and keep persavering. Everyone has to go through hell to get to their heaven.

Be strong people.

I am exhausted. Not sure if exhaustion is causing depression or depression causes exhaustion. But a few things have happened that have left me worn out.
A bit of both I reckon mate. If you don't already, try exercise. Literally one 15 min walk to start with. Make that a priority by Friday for example. It gives you time to do it even though you don't want to, and regardless how you feel, just do it. When I was a teen I was as you described at times. But the less you do makes you feel like s**t and the less you will want to do.

Do you have any pets? If not get one. They're awesome companions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am exhausted. Not sure if exhaustion is causing depression or depression causes exhaustion. But a few things have happened that have left me worn out.
I relate to this, mate. For me it's mostly due to heavy anxiety. It's actually why my GP put me on sertraline he explained to me this week - not for depression. Been really struggling with it, and had to get sedatives which I didn't really want to do.

I can only recommend adding small things to your day, one day at a time. So then you can slowly try and find the actual source of what is happening so then you can have a plan to try and override it. So, one example, at work, today, it was humid, it was quiet all day, and noticed other workers not saying anything, I was getting a headache and by the end of the day almost felt like vomiting from a tension headache.

Really it's more about tackling the root of the underlying causes of daily patterns. Figuring out why this persons gives you certain feedback, or why you react in a certain way. If a root cause is social, then approaching people more often and just talking, about anything is a good start. Many people simply enjoy interacting and it's easier than we think. If it's about the past then can you rationalise it in a way that's friendly on you. Not overstating things.

A good metaphor for tackling depression and anxiety is the movie, "Groundhog Day". He's basically repeating the same actions and changing them each time until they work!

So, i am trying, more water, lifting 5kg weights, walking, listening to music, but more importantly, trying to fill my mind with ONLY' constructive thoughts, now this is hard at first, but it's about consciously changing your thoughts until something stays long enough that it's at least helpful or useful.

So if you feel stuck in a mindset, try walking to a different room, listen to some playlists/music if possible, with earphones. Go and have a drink water and use that moment to then change your thoughts. If you're stuck in an hour of ruminating anxiety/unhelpful thoughts, try using the walking off for a drink/water/coffee as the switch to change to, "I feel good, i'm cool, today I will get done what i plan". "I will make this awesome recipe for dinner", or "i will watch this movie tonight", y'know, something that works for you!!

You might enrol in some short certification courses, that can make people feel really good. Just for the sheer enjoyment of learning something new.

So i can only recommend getting to the root of what is happening, if you can.

Last edited:
I can only recommend adding small things to your day, one day at a time. So then you can slowly try and find the actual source of what is happening so then you can have a plan to try and override it. So, one example, at work, today, it was humid, it was quiet all day, and noticed other workers not saying anything, I was getting a headache and by the end of the day almost felt like vomiting from a tension headache.

Really it's more about tackling the root of the underlying causes of daily patterns. Figuring out why this persons gives you certain feedback, or why you react in a certain way. If a root cause is social, then approaching people more often and just talking, about anything is a good start. Many people simply enjoy interacting and it's easier than we think. If it's about the past then can you rationalise it in a way that's friendly on you. Not overstating things.

A good metaphor for tackling depression and anxiety is the movie, "Groundhog Day". He's basically repeating the same actions and changing them each time until they work!

So, i am trying, more water, lifting 5kg weights, walking, listening to music, but more importantly, trying to fill my mind with ONLY' constructive thoughts, now this is hard at first, but it's about consciously changing your thoughts until something stays long enough that it's at least helpful or useful.

So if you feel stuck in a mindset, try walking to a different room, listen to some playlists/music if possible, with earphones. Go and have a drink water and use that moment to then change your thoughts. If you're stuck in an hour of ruminating anxiety/unhelpful thoughts, try using the walking off for a drink/water/coffee as the switch to change to, "I feel good, i'm cool, today I will get done what i plan". "I will make this awesome recipe for dinner", or "i will watch this movie tonight", y'know, something that works for you!!

You might enrol in some short certification courses, that can make people feel really good. Just for the sheer enjoyment of learning something new.

So i can only recommend getting to the root of what is happening, if you can.
Brilliant!

One thing I've found helps with stress or anxiety is colouring. Buy a couple of adult colouring books off wish, $10 on some sharpies from Officeworks and go to town doing something that's relaxing and stress relieving.

Long term reader but not a poster on this topic, but now I am part of the group suffering.

My issue is that I am trying to meet people, expand my social circles. It seems the harder I try to do that, the worse it gets. I am generally quite shy but it is amazing how you can be surrounded by people between the age of 30 and 40 and yet most of them are glued to thier phones. The under 30's I get it but how can you start a discussion if you can't look someone in the eye?

Long term reader but not a poster on this topic, but now I am part of the group suffering.

My issue is that I am trying to meet people, expand my social circles. It seems the harder I try to do that, the worse it gets. I am generally quite shy but it is amazing how you can be surrounded by people between the age of 30 and 40 and yet most of them are glued to thier phones. The under 30's I get it but how can you start a discussion if you can't look someone in the eye?
Do you try too hard? If so, don't. Don't force it and let it come to you.

re the eye contact, if you're not confident it's something you're going to have to work on but again don't force it. It has to come naturally. And don't over do it.

If you mean their lack of eye contact in that they're on their phones then let them do exctly that. Be on their phones. Don't disturb them. They're on their for a reason.

Join a social club? theyre online in which you can choose one and go and meet people. I've posted it on big footy somewhere and in this thread I think.

google this

meet people social club melbourne

or whatever state youre in. easy as.

Personally I'm under the pump with stress
And am struggling personally. So not sure what to do. Just too tired to handle work then address other issues that need addressing
So sick of things, as in tired of our societies crap. Need advice

Last edited:
Personally I'm under the pump with a very very stressful situation at work
And am struggling personally. So not sure what to do.

alright, so, do you have any strategies of switching off from work when you’re not there, meditation, distractions, listening to music, going for a walk, prepare some food, watch a movie, call a friend, reading, online shopping.

what also helps is just realising, things can change, circumstances, stuff out of our control and really when all is said and done, the sun still rises again and you can make a decision to be content that you are still you no matter what goes on around you and that you can adapt to challenging circumstances.

And am struggling personally. So not sure what to do. Just too tired to handle work then address other issues that need addressing

I had a huge flair up of stress and anxiety in Jan/Feb this year and things such as blacking out time in my calendar to do an engaging activity such as meditation, a jigsaw puzzle, colouring or going for a walk was something I made mandatory each day. Likewise turning my phone on airplane mode at 9pm, no screens after 10pm and getting to bed by 11pm each night helped to alleviate a lot of the laying in bed angst. Put your health first and you'll be much better as a result, don't make it your lowest priority as it feeds into the problems with everything else.

I can relate with some of the things you mentioned, I don’t have specific advice but reading through some pages in this thread there is some helpful stuff written.
What I struggle with, among other things, is the lack of emotional control on a daily basis. I would love to feel the constant content like I used to, but it seems everyday is different, one day up the next down. Stability alludes.
Anyway, read through a few pages and you can find some self help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back