Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Corona virus - you have to live life. If you want to stay isolated, go ahead but you are more likely to be killed getting to/from work, study, activities everyday that actually catch it. And what percentage of people have died? Less than 5%, who are elderly with existing problems.

Changing your daily life too much is only going to add to the problem and it isn't needed

speak of the devil the NBA has been suspended as a result of the virus which a player has now been infected by.

Holy *.

Don’t be sweating on conoravirus, reading between the panic media for most it’s nothing more than a cold/flu like. All they are trying to do is stop the spread.
I tell you though, cooking dinner from scratch with fresh herbs and ingredients and some good tunes on in the background is so therapeutic.

Don’t be sweating on conoravirus, reading between the panic media for most it’s nothing more than a cold/flu like. All they are trying to do is stop the spread.
I tell you though, cooking dinner from scratch with fresh herbs and ingredients and some good tunes on in the background is so therapeutic.
Not sweating on corona virus per say. Just don't know how I'll potentially go if enforced isolation happens. In a way while I'll welcome the chance to kick back for 2 weeks in quite lonliness can kick in

Not sweating on corona virus per say. Just don't know how I'll potentially go if enforced isolation happens. In a way while I'll welcome the chance to kick back for 2 weeks in quite lonliness can kick in
I am hearing you, i was made redundant 6 weeks ago (23 years at the one company), i thought no problem i'll get a job easy. Anyway 6 weeks later i am WTF!!! why cant i get a job!!!! As much as i have a family and kids, spending the days alone has its good and its bad.
Jumping on here can be a connection, albeit cyber like but a connection none the less.

I 'beat' depression about six months ago... turns out, it was just in remission. The campaigner is back again in full force. It sucks too; my depression seems to always be career related - and the hardest thing for me to do while depressed is advance my career. It's such a shitty cycle.

guys on depression and anxiety as many would be aware, and many wouldn't if you've lived with someone who has either or both of these, particularly your parents and especially growing up there's a good chance they've given it to you. Children often take on the emotions of their parents or obviously what's been instilled in them as kids ( beliefs etc ) so you may have been brought up that way and suffered as a result of their negative energy. Could be in their genes or passed down from genereation to generation etc. Like pets take on the emotions of their owners, same thing with kids.

What kind of parent or parents do you have? How did they raise you? I'm not telling you to blame them but look at this as well as many other factors like life experiences, traum's etc.

It has most certainly been a difficult summer for many with the bushfires and now we have the uncertainty regarding the Coronavirus. Reach out if you are struggling and don’t go it alone.

guys on depression and anxiety as many would be aware, and many wouldn't if you've lived with someone who has either or both of these, particularly your parents and especially growing up there's a good chance they've given it to you. Children often take on the emotions of their parents or obviously what's been instilled in them as kids ( beliefs etc ) so you may have been brought up that way and suffered as a result of their negative energy. Could be in their genes or passed down from genereation to generation etc. Like pets take on the emotions of their owners, same thing with kids.

What kind of parent or parents do you have? How did they raise you? I'm not telling you to blame them but look at this as well as many other factors like life experiences, traum's etc.

My parents were great when I was a child; absolutely dog-s**t as a teen. They didn't know how to stop treating my like a child and inevitably ****ed up my career which has cause most of my depression.

I have a little one (six) in the house - he will grow up never even knowing I have depression. Genuinely need to keep that s**t from the little ones.

My parents were great when I was a child; absolutely dog-s**t as a teen. They didn't know how to stop treating my like a child and inevitably f’ed up my career which has cause most of my depression.

I have a little one (six) in the house - he will grow up never even knowing I have depression. Genuinely need to keep that s**t from the little ones.
Agreed mate. My ex missus whom I'm close with grew up with her mum having anxiety and depression without even knowing but ended up putting putting two and two together many years later. It really affected her. Her dad was basically a man child who couldn't control his emotions, anger issues. Really ****ed her up. If that's the blue print for a little one, good luck. Throw in all of life's other cards and yeah it's tough going.

Sorry to hear about your state mate and again, the ex was and still is in the same boat. Has to basically go back and deal with all this stuff from childhood and start again. You'd have to take a similar path with unresolved issues from your teens as well as learning new behaviour and learn to move forward.

PM me if need be champ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi,

over the past 3 months I have been to hell and back.

4 to 6 months ago, my place of employment got a new manager and she just went ape s**t by rearranging most teams and portfolios. August 10th she sent me an e mail and informed me I was getting the sack. I was given 7 days to get my stuff and then leave. Don’t come Monday. This basically lead to me having high anxiety and depression.

after reading the e mail, I went and spoke to a few others in the building to seek some advice. I was pissed off. I had good performance review and was a good employee. Didn’t really understand why I had lost my job. So after having a few conversations, I decided to go and see her (bad mistake) and try and confront her why she had sacked me. I was angry, I was as mad as hell and long story short, she kicked me out. I had a breakdown and lost the plot.

A colleague told me to go to see my doctor and get a mental health plan. So that night I went and saw my GP and his put me on an anti depressant medication called “Avanza” or mirtazapbe. That stuff seriously messed me up.

i have liver, kidney and diabetes as it is.? After being on avanza since August, my kidneys have shut up, my liver is giving me massage pains in the stomach and by BSL is well about 28. I’m sitting at the doctors now to demand he takes me off that s**t.

my post isn’t about losing my job or the plot, it’s about going on an antidepressant medication called Avanza. If your GP said so, say no and totally investigate the side effects and how it will react to your body.

Yep, Mirtazapine is IMO a toxic drug, especially if you have a history of diabetes in your family (as I do). I gained 15 kg in 6 months - so much that I had to stop taking the drug to preserve my health. Of course, my psych did not warn me that mirtazapine was an appetite stimulant, nor did he do anything about the weight gain except take a 'chin up' approach (he was aware of it). No surprise that I stopped seeing him. You can't expect to retain patients if you mislead them and display an indifference to their welfare.

Even Escitalopram caused me to gain 7-8 kg - very odd given that it's meant to be weight-neutral. May be different for those with metabolic problems/family history of diabetes. Also younger men have been known to gain weight on that drug.

Your doctor should do the following if you gain massive amounts of weight on SSRI's or atypical antidepressants like mirtazapine (more than 5% of initial weight):
- Consider evaluating for the presence of pre-diabetes, diabetes, or dyslipidemia, or consider switching to a different antidepressant
- Also it would be prudent for them to ask if you have a family history of diabetes

I'm currently on moclobemide 600mg (a MAOI not an SSRI), taken after meals. I definitely feel more jovial and I have lost weight (around 3 kg in 2 months). I'm also not hampered by crushing depression or somatic pains as I was before taking the drug, but I find that I'm prone to mood swings and my powers of concentration are still somewhat lacking. Usually I feel fine, but other times I feel like punching things - my mood swings were IMO not that sharp before. Also I find that amphetamine stimulants for ADHD can't be taken without moclobemide without suffering extreme irritability. I may need to look into the possibility that my depression is underpinned by mild manic qualities (not the same thing as bipolar FWIW). If that's the case, then an anti-depressant may not suffice for me.

A profile of the drugs in question for other users here (freely available so I don't think I'm breaking any laws by placing this here):

I saw a psych for the first time last week. Have 4 more visits booked in. Will be working on mindfulness and meditation as a way to solve what has become crippling anxiety over the last few months and hopefully eradicating that will help with my depression as well. Im on Escitalopram, im not sure thats helping to be honest.

I saw a psych for the first time last week. Have 4 more visits booked in. Will be working on mindfulness and meditation as a way to solve what has become crippling anxiety over the last few months and hopefully eradicating that will help with my depression as well. Im on Escitalopram, im not sure thats helping to be honest.
Good stuff mate. It takes balls to address issues and admit there's a problem.

Also, try not to let other people and their problems become yours. Best of luck and keep us posted. Feel free to pm me anytime.

I hope youre all doing well guys. As I always say don't hesitate to pm me I'm always here to led an ear.

Post in here as well don't be afraid. Everyone in their life has been through hard times and will do so again it's life. Take care. And at least now we have some footy to watch!

different people respond differently to different drugs, talk to your doctor and ask about trying a different type of med. might fit you better.

for instance mirtazapine was reference above and the user described it as pretty awful. i was on it for maybe a year and it 100% worked for me, the only side effect i had was i put on a little bit of weight, not much and nothing i was worried about.
there is no one size fits all, again if your concerned at all about the one you are on talk to your doc

I'm an extrovert and am not doing too well being cooped up during the week.
Luckily I still have some work shifts on the weekend.
I'm doing a lot of positive talk, distancing from negative people and trying to eat healthily. I have a tendency to get stuck in negative thought patterns so I am practicing my CBT techniques.

I've been trying to get out of feeling 'flat' for the last four years. I think I need to exercise my way out, no matter how much I don't feel like doing it. It's possible I broke my brain somehow back in 2016, through inactivity or social isolation, poor diet, or maybe just age, regimented lifestyle, or natural depression, long term prescription drug use, etc. I'd only be guessing.

There are some weird things I feel like I can't do any more, such as making myself a cup of tea, or cycling, or meditating, which I used to do quite regularly. Yet I can still jog, or I can cook, or play the piano. I just seem to have a mental block in some areas.

Again I feel some protracted exercise, which would ideally be a long bike ride, would get the blood pumping through my veins again, at the moment I feel like a zombie in many respects.

I've been trying to get out of feeling 'flat' for the last four years. I think I need to exercise my way out, no matter how much I don't feel like doing it. It's possible I broke my brain somehow back in 2016, through inactivity or social isolation, poor diet, or maybe just age, regimented lifestyle, or natural depression, long term prescription drug use, etc. I'd only be guessing.

There are some weird things I feel like I can't do any more, such as making myself a cup of tea, or cycling, or meditating, which I used to do quite regularly. Yet I can still jog, or I can cook, or play the piano. I just seem to have a mental block in some areas.

Again I feel some protracted exercise, which would ideally be a long bike ride, would get the blood pumping through my veins again, at the moment I feel like a zombie in many respects.
Perhaps a combinantion of all '' broke '' your brain. Just do the cycling my friend. Shock your way out of your slumber ways. As for the mental block on the things you used to do, just do it too. It will help you mend.

Exercise is key. It will awaken the brain and bring the body and mind together. Good post btw. And you're extremely intelligent.

I'm an extrovert and am not doing too well being cooped up during the week.
Luckily I still have some work shifts on the weekend.
I'm doing a lot of positive talk, distancing from negative people and trying to eat healthily. I have a tendency to get stuck in negative thought patterns so I am practicing my CBT techniques.
Good stuff!!!!!

I also reccoment exercising. You're doing well.

hey guys. You may not be the problem. You may have absorbed other people's negative energy and actions. Be weary how you feel before, after and during interactions with people. Once again examine your parents and how they were/are as people and how they raised you. They could have given you a lot of negative traits and experiences.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back