Did Carlton stuff up in the 2005 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pancakes

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Everywhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching Murphy today made me realise he isn't all that good. Soft possessions, indecisive when he gets the ball, poor kick on goal.
No doubt he will be a handy player but i don't see much improvement in him. He is just about as good as he will ever be.
Their next pick was the dud Kennedy, wow what a monumental waste of a draft pick.

Considering the other three players who went in the top five (Thomas, Pendlebury, Ellis) all look the goods are are continuing to improve each and every week it has to be asked how did Carlton manage to stuff it up so badly?

Lets just hope Gibbs is good enough to make up for such a massive blunder.

Murphy will end up being a worthy no.1, he's been quiet this year but it only seems that way because of how impressive he was last year...

Murphy will be a very good player......Thomas will be better. As he is starting to show. IMO

Murphy will be a gun.

Ellis hasn't shown anything yet.

I hate Thomas but he'll be good. Probably the next Robertson...

Did you see Murphy's game in Round 3? He was one of the reasons why we came back. In Round 2 he was very good as well, tried is heart out more than the other players, did a lot of the hard work and got 30 possies for his troubles.

FFS, he's 18 years old and in his 2nd year and you want him to be Chris Judd already? And you're all writing him off after this game? Did you people happen to see the rest of his games, especially last year?

Where was the thread starter's toughts on him last year where he dominated and had the best tagger? He was simply beaten by the better player(s), Pagan was silly enough to try and make him tag Judd or Kerr rather than play his natural attacking game. Do you honestly think a skinny 18 year old 2nd year player is going to get the better of a champ like Judd? No. The bigger bodies compared to his are also going to be a problem.

But to write him off after getting a football lesson and possibly a form of education from the best midfielders is ridiculous, and a stupid thing to say. And to think people are already saying Thomas will be better, after one freaking round, whilst ignoring everything else from their development. Murphy has still shown more than him, and while Thomas is all class, will most likely not be comparable. Isn't Murphs one of the leaders in clearences and inside 50s in trhe comp? I'll have to check on it to clarify.

Pancakes, you are stupid. Stupid. Ya see that? Yes, stupid. You do a disservice to everyone on here, especially on the topic of rating potential young guns. By your logic, based on this game, Fevola must be one of the worst FF's going around.

Yeah, right.

Murphy has been good this year. Clearly the best choice at number 1. Everyone else in the draft at the time had queries about them while MM was the only real 'slam dunk' of the draft. Thomas may become the better footballer but bigfootyites slammed the pies for taking him over Ellis, what would they have done if they took Thomas over MM?

your a fair dinkum IDIOT!! Marc Murphy is the best youngster in the comp inc, Deledio, Franklin, Tambling, Cooney, Griffen and Wells

but i think he would be easy to shut out of a game with a decent tag

He's had decent tags for a lot of games last year and he still performed. Last year's game in particular vs the Eagles, just watch his work.

He's 18, it's only his 2nd year and you reckon there's no more improvement in him?

This is too idiotic, even for Bay13. He can improve his kicking, his accuracy, his marking, his body on body work, his tackling, his clearences, he can improve on everything. Even though at this stage he's a good user of the bal land knows how to win it, you have a kid here that can already influence games and even hurt the opposition and he's got plenty to improve on yet.

Those that don't see his upside (being only an 18 year old) don't deserve to post footy on a footy message board.

EDIT: Damn, he deleted his post. Just so people know, it was a Collingwood supporter who said that (surprise surprise).

He's had decent tags for a lot of games last year and he still performed. Last year's game in particular vs the Eagles, just watch his work.

He's 18, it's only his 2nd year and you reckon there's no more improvement in him?

This is too idiotic, even for Bay13. He can improve his kicking, his accuracy, his marking, his body on body work, his tackling, his clearences, he can improve on everything. Even though at this stage he's a good user of the bal land knows how to win it, you have a kid here that can already influence games and even hurt the opposition and he's got plenty to improve on yet.

Those that don't see his upside (being only an 18 year old) don't deserve to post footy on a footy message board.

EDIT: Damn, he deleted his post. Just so people know, it was a Collingwood supporter who said that (surprise surprise).

Oh look the Carlton cry baby is here.
I never said Murphy is crap, only that i don't believe he will be as good as the other three midfielders taken in the top five.

And what about Kennedy i don't see you defending him, have you written that one off already as a dud?

He's 20 in less than 2 months...:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said Murphy is crap, only that i don't believe he will be as good as the other three midfielders taken in the top five.

Who are you trying to fool?

He's easily better than Thomas and Pendlebury currently (taking nothing away from them), whilst Ellis has played a grand total of what, 3 games?

He'll probably win a Brownlow by the end of his career to be honest.

It's alot harder for him now with Stevens gone to take the number one tagger from an opposition team - particularly the Premiers.

How many other 19 year olds do that?

For a draft that wasn't meant to be very deep, the top 7 or 8 look pretty good. Murphy is a flat out gun. Thomas has his skills to match his femme body, Kennedy has a set of vice like hands that will take plenty of big grabs in years to come. Ellis may not have played yet, but will be a class act in years to come, Pendlebury looks like being the second best player in the draft. Dowler I havent seen much of- probably because he has been injured I'd suspect. Ryder is proving this year what a bright future he has.

First dud you get to is JON at 8. Why Richmond didnt you pick Mitch Clark or Shannon Hurn, why?

Murphy, Kennedy, Bower and Edwards was a terrible draft for Carlton. :rolleyes:

Kennedy isn't setting the world on fire at the moment but it's a ridiculous comment to say he's a dud at just 19. He may not be as athletic as Ryder but he's harder and a smarter after Paddy let Blake take an uncontested mark yesterday because he didn't "go".

Bomber fans are dreaming if they think he was the real number one.

Kennedy's vice like grip Whippersnipper mentioned was on display against Richmond and he took two terrific marks out in front running full pelt at the ball.

He'll hold down CHF for ten years once Lance move aside.

It's alot harder for him now with Stevens gone to take the number one tagger from an opposition team - particularly the Premiers.

How many other 19 year olds do that?

Um, try Deledio. There's only 2 months between them too. Murph will be great but don't put him above everyone else.

First dud you get to is JON at 8. Why Richmond didnt you pick Mitch Clark or Shannon Hurn, why?

JON has been extremely impressive and will definately be in the team over the next 2 weeks according to Wallace. JON is one seriously rare talent and if makes it you'll wish you had him instead of Kennedy ;)

After watching JON at Coburg seniors I'm confident he'll be a great player. The genuine 'star' youngster at Coburg atm is Jack Riewoldt imo ;)

And what about Kennedy i don't see you defending him, have you written that one off already as a dud?

Since when is Dale Thomas a midfielder? Xav Ellis has played 4 games for a total of 37 disposal (ie 9.25 per game). Pendlebury is averaging 14.8 disposals per game in his 13 games. Murphy is averaging 18.4 disposals per game (20 per game so far this season) & that includes the game in which he got injured against the Lions in the 1st quarter. Nothing, other than your obviously prejudiced opinion points to any of those players being better than Murphy.

Your kidding yourself if you don't think Murphy is going to be a gun. Best player of that draft easily though I think in years to come Mitch Clark may challenge him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back