Opinion Did Gubby Stuff up Collingwood over Pre-Season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't buy the cap space driven recruitment theory one bit. In fact, not only is it nonsensenical it would be idiotic if that's what transpired.

Let's say we had $1m spare in our cap. Here we are trying to re-sign Grundy. How about we give him a $500k sign on fee to tie him up at $500kpa for the next 3 years instead of signing him for $600-$700 escalating over the next 3 years following his existing deal that ends at the end of 2017. Now we have $500k spare. Who else do we want to put on a 3+ year deal? Potential future captain Adams? How about front loading WHE's contract and openning even more space next year for a quality free agent or trade targett like Fyfe or Schache?

Alternatively we recruit Mayne and Wells because they are the who is available and commmit to 3-4 years so we use up some of the $1m cap space from 2017 but tie up cap space going forward?

It doesn't make sense. Maybe if it was a 24 yer old Wells and we signed him for 5 years or someone much better than Mayne I could buy it but we surely can't be that silly can we?
Hey wasnt grundy close to signing a new contract?? Gone a bit quiet!!!

I think he failed our medical didn't he? I'd rather have Kruzer than Mayne
Too right
Kruzer has performed outstanding so far great tech ruck man , strong around the packs , doesn't mark many o head just like grundy
With his recruitment we could have had 2 high high class followers ( the future of footy) much like the machine days collier and syd Coventry
He would have been great

1. I would give him 3 out of 10.
Your score is understandable
2. W.H.E tick did well.
Looks like our BIG win thus far
3.Witts Ruckman don't grow on trees should have pushed for more. 2nd rounder at least.
Totally agree, we should have got more, that was not good for us.
4.Mayne and Wells there was no need for them. And if your that adamant in signing them, the 3 and 4yr contract they got was a joke! Should have been 2yrs each maximum. Preferred not to get them at all. Big cross! Allan's biggest mistake!
Mayne that's a whole debate; if nothing else he's our punching bag now Blair is magooing.
Wells, I'm completely opposite, as a free agent, didn't cost besides cap space.
He is pure silk, worth the gamble, absolutely in my view. He plays half the season, we better off, in my view.

4. If we were that adamant in getting a free agent we should have only chased Vickery .In my opinion looking at our list Vickery would have made much more sense then getting Mayne and Wells.
Again, Vickery a big NO!
Just can't abide him, but let Hawthorn enjoy him.

5. Dunn we got for nothing. And is on a war deal so not to fussed even though not a fan. But I can see the logic at least as a depth player.
Basically free agree, solid depth, already getter than Frost.
6. Not sure we could have done any better in regards to the Cloke and Williams trade
My understanding is Cloke we wanted out, so it is what it is maybe could gave got a better pick but that s how it rolled. Re Williams my understanding we were letting him go all the same, so to get him to a club of his choice North in this case, he was basically given for nothing.

I just want this Cloke nightmare to end. Its being going since 2012 with the protracted contract negotiations, and David Cloke all over the media that year (with THAT hair do). Then we had Trav's fluctuating and eventually declining form. Throw in the sheer terror of watching Cloke line up for goal year after year, the 'will he wont he kick it' moments (mostly wont). The debacle that was 2016. The trade to the Dogs - how did that happen? The Dogs later bragging they have 'fixed' his kicking style (they haven't). Robbo fawning over David Cloke to extract his petulant and mean-spirited 'opinions'. Headlines in the Hun. Now even MM is getting involved.

In all of this I have never disliked Travis Cloke. He's a mighty footballer, and we had some great footy from him. Its the circus around him, and the menacing presence of a father hell bent on extracting the last dollar from his son's talent.
Hence the whole Damir name.

Yet, David was the best of the footballing Clokes.
Our best CHF in my viewing time.
Could ruck mightly, actually kick goals, awkward style but accurate, durable - great player.

My idea best forwards from 70s onwards

HF. P Daicos ~ D Cloke ~ P Carman
F. P Moore ~ P McKenna ~ A Didak

Too right
Kruzer has performed outstanding so far great tech ruck man , strong around the packs , doesn't mark many o head just like grundy
With his recruitment we could have had 2 high high class followers ( the future of footy) much like the machine days collier and syd Coventry
He would have been great
Not sure Sirius

If we isolate what Gubby did.. yep fantastic to clear out the garbage.. but the ins.. not great.. Dunn is a nothing deal i don't mind.. nice back up.. Wells and Mayne.. interesting and weird.

If we compare what we've done in comparison to other clubs.. i don't think we are the only club to have kinda fd it up.. look at Hawthorn with Vickery Mitchell and Omeara.. Vickery on 500k right? Wtf is that? Omeara what's he on 800k+ with question marks over his ability to stand up? Mitchell just your run of the mill mid on a few bob as well.

Other clubs have made some weird a.. decisions as well.. but can't be bothered getting into it.. I'm lacking the energy to do anything.. been eating lentil soup.. honey sandwiches.. bloody fasting for Greek Easter. Can't wait for the weekend.. kati feast we're gonna have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could ruck mightly, actually kick goals, awkward style but accurate, durable - great player.

Big fan of Ddavid as a player but I can't recall a quality game he played as a CHF. I'm sure here were some along the way but not many. He was recruited as a CHF but mostly played as an undersized ruck after really failing to impact early days for us at CHF.

Anthony Rocca and Travis both had considerably more impact for Collingwood at CHF than David.

Big fan of Ddavid as a player but I can't recall a quality game he played as a CHF. I'm sure here were some along the way but not many. He was recruited as a CHF but mostly played as an undersized ruck after really failing to impact early days for us at CHF.

Anthony Rocca and Travis both had considerably more impact for Collingwood at CHF than David.
Fair enough call, but if I was picking best Collingwood side in last 50 years old mate David would be straight at CHF for mine.
Don't doubt Anthony and Travis but not for me as better.
Though David was rucking for us much more that's true - gee a young David would be handy today

Nah Cloke played all his best football and kicked all his goals playing for Richmond.

He was a handy ruckman for us but did bugger all at CHF for us, which was the principal reason we chased him. Had a season goal kicking high tally of 14 at Collingwood. Pretty mediocre return to be honest. Trav and A Rocca were both far better CHF's for us.

Putting aside Mayne, which I still can't work out, I don't know if Allan so much mucked up our trading rather it seems that we were to pre-focused on our draft objectives verses maximising the value of the talent departing. Our trade strategy was keeping 1 early pick and getting enough points for Daicos and Brown. As long as we achieved that and cleared list spots I don't think we cared much about getting fair value in return. Hawthorn trading Mitchell and Lewis for peanuts also didn't help.

I would have preferred to see us hold off upgrading Keeffe to the senior list and get fair value in return for Witts and Cloke. Had we done this we could have landed another pick in the 20s and still had enough points for Daicos and Brown while maintaining a live third round pick. I also wouldn't have been adverse to losing Witts for nothing or holding Cloke to his contract to prove the point of fair value.

Putting aside Mayne, which I still can't work out, I don't know if Allan so much mucked up our trading rather it seems that we were to pre-focused on our draft objectives verses maximising the value of the talent departing. Our trade strategy was keeping 1 early pick and getting enough points for Daicos and Brown. As long as we achieved that and cleared list spots I don't think we cared much about getting fair value in return. Hawthorn trading Mitchell and Lewis for peanuts also didn't help.

I would have preferred to see us hold off upgrading Keeffe to the senior list and get fair value in return for Witts and Cloke. Had we done this we could have landed another pick in the 20s and still had enough points for Daicos and Brown while maintaining a live third round pick. I also wouldn't have been adverse to losing Witts for nothing or holding Cloke to his contract to prove the point of fair value.
What?

How can we focus on one but not the other?

If we aren't focusing on both as a club, we fugged up.

What?

How can we focus on one but not the other?

If we aren't focusing on both as a club, we fugged up.
It's just my opinion, a vibe I got from where things fell. Certainly bringing Brown and Daicos in was a priority though and we also knew we'd making just the 4 selections in the draft.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-11-24/a-draft-like-no-other
Hine - pre-draft said:
We have both communicated with Callum and Josh and the fact that we have nominated them as father-sons shows we have a strong interest in both players.

We’ve got five live picks, if you like. We’ll use four of those picks and it’s likely that we’ll pass on our last selection so as to have a nominated rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back