D1 Division 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the preference of most VFL clubs although rarely enforced or enforceable. Often it’s the player who wants to give themselves the best chance, so they voluntarily go to a higher level. This of course is not a great outcome for clubs in the middle divisions and getting out of those grades is bloody tough.

I actually know of several Sandy listed players who play at St Pauls and to the best of my knowledge they have not moved out of the SFL. There others at different SFL clubs clubs also.

Regarding Port – A magnificent club but they are not going to be as strong this year with a heap of guns retiring or moving on. I know for a fact they contacted 4 of my clubs best players wanting them to play for them this year. While approaches to well performed VAFA players is not unusual, it seems the net was being cast wider and later than usual. I would assume that similar approaches would have been made to players from other A grade clubs.
Port had a lot of depth last year , there hasn't been much around , so they are looking afar. Sandy treat local clubs like s**t, they always have , at least Port have always said they are happy for players to go back to their home club when not required.

Port had a lot of depth last year , there hasn't been much around , so they are looking afar. Sandy treat local clubs like s**t, they always have , at least Port have always said they are happy for players to go back to their home club when not required.

Maybe for fringe 2s players but not for seniors or even entrenched Dev league players. Not once did they allow Scipione, Bonnadio, Keely, Anastasiou or others to play when they had a bye. I think Fieldsend had one game for us when coming back from a long injury lay off. I love Port but when it came to releasing players back to their home clubs they were as bad any.

Maybe for fringe 2s players but not for seniors or even entrenched Dev league players. Not once did they allow Scipione, Bonnadio, Keely, Anastasiou or others to play when they had a bye. I think Fieldsend had one game for us when coming back from a long injury lay off. I love Port but when it came to releasing players back to their home clubs they were as bad any.

Hasn't Anastasio only played for Ormond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have to agree there. We're in B and they havent released players, and have even advised players to play for other clubs in A rather than playing B

Correct , played soccer until playing Ormond under 16's and then progressing to the seniors. Never played at DLS.

Has had De La as his local club for two years but as stated was never released by Port. His brother has played there for several years. Genuine question but has ever played a senior game at Ormond? Maybe 1 or 2 during his TAC year but as Bedford reminds us the senior and junior arms are very different clubs so on that basis he may not qualify as a senior Ormond player either, the VAFA version at least.

Last edited:
Has had De La as his local club for two years but as stated was never released by Port. His brother has played there for several years. Genuine question but has ever played a senior game at Ormond? Maybe 1 or 2 during his TAC year but as Bedford reminds us the senior and junior arms are very different clubs so on that basis he may not qualify as a senior Ormond player either, the VAFA version at least.
He probably played at least a dozen games in Ormond seniors and has put down Noble Park now, but is going OS to the soccer world cup

He probably played at least a dozen games in Ormond seniors and has put down Noble Park now, but is going OS to the soccer world cup

Fair enough. Bloody hell he must have been very young!

Yep he is bankrolling his trip with some quick bucks in the EFL and good on him. Something that will really horrify you is that he was very close to playing in your favourite competition this year with the mob based on Tucker Road. In the end ex Port team mate Shane Valenti got him over the line at Noble.

Fair enough. Bloody hell he must have been very young!

Yep he is bankrolling his trip with some quick bucks in the EFL and good on him. Something that will really horrify you is that he was very close to playing in your favourite competition this year with the mob based on Tucker Road. In the end ex Port team mate Shane Valenti got him over the line at Noble.
I know , only playing 3 for Noble who have lost a fair few guns this season . He was young, kicked the goal of the year one day at Fitzroy , got it in the middle and danced and weaved his way to the goal square. DLS never new he played footy until he kicked 6 against their 2nd 19's at Glenhuntly when we had to play there.

I know , only playing 3 for Noble who have lost a fair few guns this season . He was young, kicked the goal of the year one day at Fitzroy , got it in the middle and danced and weaved his way to the goal square. DLS never new he played footy until he kicked 6 against their 2nd 19's at Glenhuntly when we had to play there.

They knew that he played as he killed it in the MSJFL U16s and played some school footy, but soccer was his sport of preference. After taking up the game so late I don’t think anyone knew he would develop so quickly. After his first year in the VFL he was a bit of smokey to get drafted, but I guess after such a meteoric rise he always going to level out a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few at the top end have left Kew I hear.

Well depends what you mean by from the top. We’ve lost a couple to $$. One of them didn’t play at all last year due to injury, one only played a couple games at Kew because he was at northern, and one played about the half the season.

Disappointing, no doubt, as you feel helpless trying to keep guys from going to paid leagues, but as Bedford said you invariably lose players every season.

The top 6-7 (maybe even deeper) in the BnF from last year are all playing plus the captain and best player is back from injury.

Anyone with Praccy matches? Kew were supposed to play Emmaus St Leo’s this Sunday but unfortunately the ground location fell through and it’s been cancelled.

Sandy's Development squad Coach last year was Owen Lalor (ex Hampton Rovers Coach) and Anthony Quon was his assistant until taking the rovers gig midway through last year. Would think some sort of relationship has been created between the two Clubs and there'd be no push to move Rovers players to Higher competition.

I believe you are wrong , Sandy have always made it hard for local clubs. They have a good relationship , but now no DE , it's makes it hard. Why would young blokes not go to non aligned clubs is beyond me , why try and compete with AFL listed players. More players get rookie spots from stand alone clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back