D4 Division 4 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great wins by Parkside and Sth Mornington which will breath new life into D4.
Other results went as expected , had to work so couldn't catch any games any news to come out of the round ?.
Yeatman kicks 11 for Elsternwick quality player !. See Masala won in the two's again 2 from 3, well done maybe have picked up some players of quality ?.
French kicked a lazy 10 on the back of 14 the week before looking forward to seeing him live in action at some stage.
North continue their winning ways and Eley Park are a hard team to pick, up one week down the next possibly injuries ?.
Enjoy the the week off guys !.

I've been and watched multiple games this year as I have a few mates throughout a few clubs in the division. I went down to watch Parkside vs sfx on the weekend and the umpiring was amongst the worst I've ever seen. Has anyone else noticed it's gotten worse since the start of the season? They absolutely ruined that game. Seems as though Parkside had won the flag in round 9...

I've been and watched multiple games this year as I have a few mates throughout a few clubs in the division. I went down to watch Parkside vs sfx on the weekend and the umpiring was amongst the worst I've ever seen. Has anyone else noticed it's gotten worse since the start of the season? They absolutely ruined that game. Seems as though Parkside had won the flag in round 9...

The first 3 rounds were much better than I've seen at D4 for a long time ... however the last 6 rounds have been atrocious.

Last weekends umpiring performance was amongst the worst I've ever seen.

One guy in particular was an ego driven twat that couldn't even throw the ball up straight.

It may be time for the VAFA to get 2 x club umpires and 1 x VAFA Ump to do D4 a game.

The first 3 rounds were much better than I've seen at D4 for a long time ... however the last 6 rounds have been atrocious.

Last weekends umpiring performance was amongst the worst I've ever seen.

One guy in particular was an ego driven twat that couldn't even throw the ball up straight.

It may be time for the VAFA to get 2 x club umpires and 1 x VAFA Ump to do D4 a game.

Lol yep I know the exact umpire you are referring to, astounded he still balls it up like that..

Which game did you see over the weekend?

This small exert you gave plucked here does not represent what was being discussed at all. There’s some good people trying very hard for all VAFA clubs currently.
I genuinely don't know what is happening now at the VAFA; however one could argue they could have done more for clubs over the last 10-15 years.
If clubs are now being supported I applaud the endeavour.

I think Benny Goodman going into a role called Club Development and Sustainability is a great move. He will work hard for the district clubs in particular. Also think Brett Connell is a great appointment for the league. Now that Sholly has moved on, the VAFA will become less Old Xavs centric.

I think Benny Goodman going into a role called Club Development and Sustainability is a great move. He will work hard for the district clubs in particular. Also think Brett Connell is a great appointment for the league. Now that Sholly has moved on, the VAFA will become less Old Xavs centric.

You'd hope so. Sholly wrote some really insultingly condescending stuff about the lower grades over the years.

I genuinely don't know what is happening now at the VAFA; however one could argue they could have done more for clubs over the last 10-15 years.
If clubs are now being supported I applaud the endeavour.
Condescension aside (the bit about suburban clubs knowing their limits probably reads worse off the screen than would have been intended), I think the VAFA hierarchy helping out suburban clubs is a great idea – especially in off-field areas. Just a few of the ideas that come to mind are:
- The explosion in women’s football, plus the rise of soccer, has created massive competition for playing fields. Facilitating arrangements between clubs (both within the VAFA and across leagues) to share grounds would be a huge help.
- Improving interaction between the clubs and local councils (i.e., their landlords) is a must. The council mergers of the 90s and the subsequent change in management style (instead of elected councillors who are answerable to voters, clubs now have to deal with unelected bureaucrats, many of whom don’t have links to the suburb) mean that councils are more responsive to ‘business cases’ than the sentiments of local residents. Unfortunately, many of the great things about amateur footy (and suburban footy in general) are not easily measurable in $. If the VAFA can put together some study showing the value of amateur football clubs to the local community and tailor it to particular clubs / areas, this would be of great assistance to a club trying to get a better deal out of a council (or just cling on to their ground – see above).
- Getting clubs together to co-operate in purchasing. If multiple clubs band together for a bigger purchase (canteen supplies, medical, whatever), they have a better chance of getting a bulk discount from a supplier.
- As he said, providing education to improve governance / operations within the club.
These are just the immediately obvious things. Doubtless there are many more.

On the other hand, I’m a bit dubious about the idea of rotating players from upper-tier clubs to sides in the lower sections:
- A lot of people from upper section clubs, including administrators, view suburban sides with disdain or outright contempt. There will be a very low uptake on the idea unless the VAFA (or the lower club) offers some inducement.
- The idea of inducements – i.e., effectively renting a player in return for some benefit – is difficult to square with the idea of amateurism. True, the money / benefits would go to the higher club, not the individual player, but it still seems in violation of the whole ‘for the love of the game’ bit upper-section posters so love. I suppose the VAFA could force them to do it, but that will just cause resentment and resistance.
- There’s no good reason for the player to want to play for a lower club (unless they have some link to that club - not many would). If they are coming back from injury / regaining form / whatever, they could do this in their own club’s reserves (or even thirds and/or club 18, which many A-C section sides have). Playing D3/D4 would not provide any worthwhile feedback on their form.
- A Premier section coach may want a player to return from injury at a lower level, and might even be willing for that to be in D3 or D4. However, they usually put conditions on the player’s return (i.e., only play half the match, play short bursts, etc.). Players regaining form / confidence may be directed to play particular positions. The lower section coach, however, will have their own priorities: using the player in the way that most benefits his team. No matter how grateful they may be for a quality player, I can’t see any self-respecting D1-D4 senior coach following orders from a senior coach of another club.
- It is going to make the lower sections erratic. Playing a couple of Premier section players in a D4 match would be like dropping a shark in a kiddies’ pool. But what happens in weeks when the higher team doesn’t want to drop anyone back, or only fringe players from the 2s? The D4 side would go from great back to hopeless immediately. It would cause bizarre fluctuations in form, undermining the comp’s credibility.

This idea seems to be modelled on the AFL / VFL alignment system. All that has produced is dysfunctional arrangements that eventually break down, or the effective takeover of the lower club (Preston, Box Hill). I think the VAFA would be better off concentrating on off-field assistance for suburban clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What strategic suggestions did he have/has he had to develop your club?

The EYE

:moustache:
He came to a committee meeting at our club and gave us some good suggestions on U19s and thirds teams. He is not so great at responding to my emails!!!

How are clubs looking come the second half of the year? I'd imagine depth may begin to be tested with younger players heading on overseas trips/work commitments getting in the way (eofy) and players in general perhaps not playing as much in the colder months and lack of players at training etc?

I'd imagine depth may begin to be tested [...] with players in general perhaps not playing as much in the colder months and lack of players at training etc?
I think that would be the case at most clubs in the lowest division of any comp.

Tipping, R10:
Elsternwick vs North Brunswick. North Brunswick still undefeated at the turn, but could be a danger game if they get complacent.
South Mornington vs Parkside. Match of the round. Parkside need to keep winning to have a crack at a top-2 finish, while Sth Mornington have to win to stay in finals contention. Having come off a win against SFX, think Parkside will prove that they are a genuine contender by getting up by less than a kick.
South Melbourne District vs Box Hill North. SMD have been in a form slump but should have enough talent to overcome BHN.
SFX vs Masala.
Eley Park vs Mt Lilydale. Should be another close one. Maybe Eley Park, but don't have much conviction on this.

Big couple of games tomorrow that will decide if South Morno, Mt Lilydale or Eley Park can keep in touch with the 4

- Nth Brunswick should account of Elsternwick by 10ish goals

- I’m hoping Sth Morno can get the job done v Parkside

- would love BHN in an upset v Sth Melb but they should bounce back at home by 7-8 goals

- SFX to gain some percentage against Masala

- Eley Park in a close one at home v Mt Lilydale by a goal or two

Good luck to everyone in the rain and hail

Great game down at Eley Park vs Mt Lilydale. Close contest most the day. Lilydale seemed to cop a few injuries and the umpiring was questionable at times.

Number 7 for My Lilydale is a gun. Gets up and down the ground at will.

Eley Park looked more dangerous going forward to targets.

Great game.

R10 wash up: clear gap opens between the 4 and the rest, with Eley Park (5th) 2 wins and about 55% behind SMD (4th). They could make up the wins, but the % will be a problem. The margin of Parkside's win over Sth Mornington was a surprise - thought that SM would take it right up to them on their own deck. Does SM get many blokes on temporary clearances from MPNFL sides?

R11 tips:
South Mornington vs Box Hill North. Less confident tipping this than I would have been last week, but still think they will be too good, especially at home.
Masala vs Eley Park. Hard to see the hapless Masala winning a game this year, and not against a side that appears to be the best of the rest.
Mt Lilydale vs Nth Brunswick. NB to continue on their winning way.
Parkside vs Elsternwick. Parkside firming as genuine flag contender and will have too much class.
SFX vs Sth Melb District. Match of the round. First encounter was a 1pt thriller at SMD. Think SFX will have the advantage at home, and win by less than 10pts.

R10 wash up: clear gap opens between the 4 and the rest, with Eley Park (5th) 2 wins and about 55% behind SMD (4th). They could make up the wins, but the % will be a problem. The margin of Parkside's win over Sth Mornington was a surprise - thought that SM would take it right up to them on their own deck. Does SM get many blokes on temporary clearances from MPNFL sides?

R11 tips:
South Mornington vs Box Hill North. Less confident tipping this than I would have been last week, but still think they will be too good, especially at home.
Masala vs Eley Park. Hard to see the hapless Masala winning a game this year, and not against a side that appears to be the best of the rest.
Mt Lilydale vs Nth Brunswick. NB to continue on their winning way.
Parkside vs Elsternwick. Parkside firming as genuine flag contender and will have too much class.
SFX vs Sth Melb District. Match of the round. First encounter was a 1pt thriller at SMD. Think SFX will have the advantage at home, and win by less than 10pts.

We have only had 3 guys on temporary clearance for a total of 4 games between them so not many no, its more the fact we have used 95 players, 49 in the seniors as to our inconsistency i think, but no excuses from us Parkside they were very good last week, jumped us in the first term and were far too good on the day, very well drilled and fit

R11
South Morno by 25
Eley Park by 67
Nth Brunswick 45
Parkside by 43
SFX by 12

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back